1 year in - Who is Mitchell Trubisky Comparasion?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
NFL states at the draft
Matthew Stafford
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/mitch-trubisky?id=2558008

For me, he does not have the army strength of Stafford, but he has better accuracy

I believe his closest comp is byron leftwich.

Byron first year stats
57.2% completion, 2819 yards, 14 TD
Mitch’s first year
59.4% completion, 2193 yards, 7 TD

This was done in half the games of Byron.

Who do you guys think the closest comp is?

I'm apparently one of 2 people to get you're comparing 1st year stats instead of style of play. But yeah, Mitch played 12 games, Leftwich didn't play double that.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steve Young? Alex Smith? Joe - for Halas's sake - Montana?!? . . .

. . . . The Frisky One threw approximately 0.59 touchdowns a game last year. the shoopster has high hopes Snails didn't blow this pick like he did his first rounders his first two years but let's slow down on anointing this kid as anything other than the likable yet nonetheless skittishly raw rookie he was last year. The fact is, Trubisky's rookie season was disappointingly nondescript compared most other impact QBs who have come into the league the last few years, notable mainly for his "lack of mistakes," which damns him with faint praise or as a game manager or both.

Joe Montana . . . Sheesh, and I don't mean the poster . . .

Last edited:

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Steve Young? Alex Smith? Joe - for Halas's sake - Montana?!? . . .

. . . . The Frisky One threw approximately 0.59 touchdowns a game last year. the shoopster has high hopes Snails didn't blow this pick like he did his first rounders his first two years but let's slow down on anointing this kid as anything other than the likable yet nonetheless skittishly raw rookie he was last year. The fact is, Trubisky's rookie season was disappointingly nondescript compared most other impact QBs who have come into the league the last few years, notable mainly for his "lack of mistakes," which damns him with faint praise or as a game manager or both.

Joe Montana . . . Sheesh, and I don't mean the poster . . .

:obama:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm apparently one of 2 people to get you're comparing 1st year stats instead of style of play. But yeah, Mitch played 12 games, Leftwich didn't play double that.

Why? He's discussing an opinion with one of his own and about the stylistic differences between Mitch and Stafford. Then uses stats to back up an opinion while failing to do so. Those stats are not even similar enough to show anything. Trubisky's rookie passer rating is closer to Wentz than Leftwhich and no, I'm not comparing those 2 either. Guess what? Paxton Lynch and Wentz had the same rookie rating. Anybody think they looked the same on the field? Derek Carr had an even closer passer rating.

Different teams, different associated players and different coaches, different histories in terms of starts and formation work for the QBs. These numbers mean absolutely squat with rookie QBs so it's never a valid compare. There is no discussion required if all we want to do is shuffle through rookie stats to decide which previous rookie QB is just like Mitchell. It's one of the sillier proposition I've seen proposed here.

PeteFootball

Liked Posts:
As has been stated by me on numerous occasions, I'm a big fan of the OP, however player comparisons are the lazy man's evaluation tool.

Thanks Gustavus,

I would like to point out, my original point of the thread was to state that pre-draft NFL.com had his comparison as Matt Stafford. I was looking for peoples opinion if they thought that was still true.

I then decided to make my bryon leftwich comparison which did not go to well to posters who watch tape on YouTube

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
NFL all time lowest interception percentage.

1. Aaron Rodgers 1.6%
2. Colin Kaepernick 1.8%
T2. Tom Brady 1.8%

He wasn't the best but better than a lot of guys out there.

How would we feel if after his second year as a starter Trubisky has a TD to INT ratio of 31 to 11? I would say he exceeded expectations. That would mean Mitch would go 24 TD's and 4 Int's in 2018, I could live with that.

Where did Kaep rank on avg passing yards?

AussieBear

His play year 1 was be very close to Cade Mcnown... real talk... but cade had that detroit game and people had a cm of hope going into year 2.. mitch aint have no detroit game last year.

either mitch continues dis and goes after dem playboys or mans up n becomes a playboi..

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His play year 1 was be very close to Cade Mcnown... real talk... but cade had that detroit game and people had a cm of hope going into year 2.. mitch aint have no detroit game last year.

either mitch continues dis and goes after dem playboys or mans up n becomes a playboi..

:trollbisky:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Thanks Gustavus,

I would like to point out, my original point of the thread was to state that pre-draft NFL.com had his comparison as Matt Stafford. I was looking for peoples opinion if they thought that was still true.

I then decided to make my bryon leftwich comparison which did not go to well to posters who watch tape on YouTube

On the plus side, you're a smarter football poster than Shoopster.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Thanks Gustavus,

Lol. You don't even need to watch YouTube to know how bad Leftwich was.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Actually, Youtube highlight clips would have them much more similar than their actual play, LOL.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
At this point Ryan Tannehill with a touch more accuracy.

I was thinking the same, or even Blake Bottles. I saw a few nice throws last year but in reality Trubisky was severely limited in what he did last year. A lot of folks on here blame Fox, but I think it had more to do with he just wasn't ready. Ive heard all this talk about his development but I haven't seen him play one down so I really can't say. At this point its 50/50 in my book that he succeeds. I'm optimistic but also realistic in the fact he could be a bust, no one knows what we have in him til about week 5 or 6. Before we crown him lets get a winning record, we have been so QB deficient for so long the kool aid tastes great, but I have to see more. So right in my book he's a Tannyhill/ Tebow/ Bortles/ type player,from what he showed last year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
I was thinking the same, or even Blake Bottles. I saw a few nice throws last year but in reality Trubisky was severely limited in what he did last year. A lot of folks on here blame Fox, but I think it had more to do with he just wasn't ready. Ive heard all this talk about his development but I haven't seen him play one down so I really can't say. At this point its 50/50 in my book that he succeeds. I'm optimistic but also realistic in the fact he could be a bust, no one knows what we have in him til about week 5 or 6. Before we crown him lets get a winning record, we have been so QB deficient for so long the kool aid tastes great, but I have to see more. So right in my book he's a Tannyhill/ Tebow/ Bortles/ type player,from what he showed last year.

Are you on crack?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

:speechless:

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Actually Bortles, Tebow and Tannyhil had better rookie years than Trubisky. Like I said, its tempting to drink the kool aid but lets see some winning football before we crown some kid with 21 starts between college and nfl our new savior or 10 god or whatever the Fuck he's being called on here. So if that's lol or crackhead material then the patients are definitely running the asylum.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
I compare him to Russel Wilson if I would compare him to anyone in regards to play style. Mitch is more of a thrower than runner but he gets the job done. I still remember that 4th down run then pass against Detroit...cannot wait for 2018 ... And you're still on crack...i never compared him to Alex Smith, Mitch is more confident and ,I believe, a better student
Of the game from a team chemistry standpoint. Compare Mitch to AR, I ask again ... Are you on crack?