2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
wait?! I was assured that the cubs had no players of value to offer in trades?! That we would get peanuts for anyone we trade?! This is just the beginning boys!

also, won’t miss Joc one bit. Cubs actually got better by dumping him for a decent prospect. Braves supposedly took on all the rest of Joc’s salary for this year plus the buy out cost/mutual option cost, and the cubs still got the braves #12 prospect
BUT, when your trading starters for prospects, it is usually at least a 2 for 1 deal. Trading a functional starter for someone who may never make the show is not an effective method of rebuilding a franchise. Sounds more like a salary dump...

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would offer 5/100 take it or goto a contender.

But you pretty much can tell Bryant is gone. Davis is gone.

Baez has a large fan base and Rizzo has been a team leader for a long time.
Yeah, hard to stomach a lot of Javy's ABs but he will always be a fan favorite plus he wants to be here...so there's that. But I really agree with bringing Rizzo back. If they get him to sign a shorter deal...like 3 years would be fine. First basemen can play a long time in baseball and while he may not always hit like we want....his glove is always there.

The Peterson thing I will never understand. The money difference from Schwarber was not significant and Schwarber is just a better player both on offense and defense. The most ironic thing of all is that they trade Joc for a kid to be a future DH....something that most people projected for Schwarber.

Just makes you wonder where Hoyer's head is at......

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
BUT, when your trading starters for prospects, it is usually at least a 2 for 1 deal. Trading a functional starter for someone who may never make the show is not an effective method of rebuilding a franchise. Sounds more like a salary dump...

not really. It’s called…joc was going to be a cub another 2.5 months. Might as well get a prospect for him, as opposed to paying his 2.5 mil buyout at the end of the year and getting nothing for him

I really don’t understand how anyone can have any complaint about this trade

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Schwarber didn’t want to be here anymore. Like anyone with a decent pair of eyes could see this team’s window closed 2 years ago.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Rizzo and Baez really have no incentive to sign anything right now.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Schwarber didn’t want to be here anymore. Like anyone with a decent pair of eyes could see this team’s window closed 2 years ago.
That is complete bullshit.

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
Jim Bowden had Ball as Atlanta’s most underrated prospect at the beginning of the year...

DA8-BC900-527-D-43-C1-8-F66-656-DB0616-C33.png
Ok i thought he was a bit better of a defender. At 6 foot 6 if he hones it in, he will be a stud. Lol at all of you. Taller players tend to take a bit longer to develop as their strike zone is bigger. He will develop A-Ok and we have 30-40 hr and 130+ ops prospect incoming. Ive followed Ball since he started and he is one of the most underrated peospects in the Minors

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
For what it’s worth, fangraphs did update it and lowered his grade to a 40+ and gave him a ranking of 17th in the cubs system. Still a nice get for joc whomst had no future in Chicago
They realized the Cubs got him and lowered his value. Given our history with spects not breaking out until they leave for another Club, they feel the Cubs just ruined his career. XD

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, hard to stomach a lot of Javy's ABs but he will always be a fan favorite plus he wants to be here...so there's that. But I really agree with bringing Rizzo back. If they get him to sign a shorter deal...like 3 years would be fine. First basemen can play a long time in baseball and while he may not always hit like we want....his glove is always there.

The Peterson thing I will never understand. The money difference from Schwarber was not significant and Schwarber is just a better player both on offense and defense. The most ironic thing of all is that they trade Joc for a kid to be a future DH....something that most people projected for Schwarber.

Just makes you wonder where Hoyer's head is at......

If it is me:

Trade Bryant, Davies and Kimbrel.

Lock Happ at LF. Let him work on rebuilding value.

Let Marisnick finish up in CF. Ortega is fine in giving him off days but it should never be a strait platoon.

Promote Davis up to Iowa.

If Baez and Rizzo take the offers then the IF is set for a few years. Let Wisdon take his little peak years and hold down 3B until the prospects arrive.

I see this as a bridge. Refill the system right now and pack it in with talent. Give the fans something to watch every year and let the system force changes.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Their value is at a low. Neither is the top player at their position in the open market.

Cash in hand might be better than wading those waters.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Their value is at a low. Neither is the top player at their position in the open market.

Cash in hand might be better than wading those waters.
This is true. Unless they both get white hot for the next 50 games, there is no guarantee that there will be a golden goose in the off season. They both want to be here while the money might be short of what they were hoping for.....it will still be a hefty amount.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They were going to have Joc for one more half season. They were able to trade him and get someone to take all of the salary. If they got nothing in return many would consider it a win. He was never going to be a part of the plan going forward.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If it is me:

Trade Bryant, Davies and Kimbrel.

Lock Happ at LF. Let him work on rebuilding value.

Let Marisnick finish up in CF. Ortega is fine in giving him off days but it should never be a strait platoon.

Promote Davis up to Iowa.

If Baez and Rizzo take the offers then the IF is set for a few years. Let Wisdon take his little peak years and hold down 3B until the prospects arrive.

I see this as a bridge. Refill the system right now and pack it in with talent. Give the fans something to watch every year and let the system force changes.
Lock in Happ? Why? He sucks.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So excited to see Happ, Marisnick and Ortega in second half. And Bote. Yay.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So excited to see Happ, Marisnick and Ortega in second half. And Bote. Yay.
You should be. How can they be any worse than the shit show we've been watching for weeks. Hard to be worse than 2-13 over a 15 games span. That's a winning percentage of 0.13 Once the smoke has cleared and the dealing is done....I'll bet you whoever is left plays at a higher winning percentage that that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lock in Happ? Why? He sucks.

He was the golden boy last year. We do forget that after this turkey.

But sell high. Got to play to get value.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lindor left today’s game early due to injury. The Mets may start getting desperate for a bat.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not entirely true. The new CBA happens after the season. You really don't wanna be stuck with no contract when a strike might happen as well as not knowing how the CBA plays out if they do come to an agreement. If you can get guaranteed money in their situation you're probably smart to take it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I was at least correct about where a 45 grade prospect would be ranked in the cubs system. Can’t help they changed him to a 40+ yesterday
Half grade and + grade aren't very far apart FWIW. It's kinda better to think of them in tiers. For example, you could like someone better than most 40 grade prospects but he might be more on the bottom end vs 45's. So a 40+ would essentially be saying that. It's entirely possible he was on the low end of the 45 tier before anyways.

Having said that, the difference between a full on 40 and a 45 isn't *that* big either.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lindor left today’s game early due to injury. The Mets may start getting desperate for a bat.

or it just makes the braves, nationals, and Phillies see even more weakness in the Mets and makes them wanna buy to take over the Mets. We already saw the braves trade for someone before the lindor injury