2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mets honestly need Bryant, kimbrel, and baez. Maybe we can package all 3 to them. mets and astros don’t care about payroll
It'd be tough for the Mets to put together a competitive offer for all 3 of them, right?

I don't see how the Cubs would come out on top of that trade and get all the value they should.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It'd be tough for the Mets to put together a competitive offer for all 3 of them, right?

I don't see how the Cubs would come out on top of that trade and get all the value they should.

the Mets could do it, granted they would be depleting their farm system on a pretty large scale to do it. Mets ownership just seems like the type that assumes throw money at the problem and it’ll get fixed. Totally speculation on my part but seems to be the case.

I still think Houston is a likely spot for Kimbrel. And I still think the nationals are a sleeper team to get KB. Issue with the Nats is whether or not they’ll cave and give up one of their two top pitching prospects…I’d prefer Rutledge

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I agree.

Javy has down graded to non prospect return.
Kimbrel has the most value.
Bryant was picking it up but post ASG .133/.188/.267

They are coming out of the gates flat again. They only hit for Kyle as usual. Then they look like a bunch of scrub little league hitters when another pitcher toes the rubber.

Just look at the stats. Kyle gets mucho love.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
the Mets could do it, granted they would be depleting their farm system on a pretty large scale to do it. Mets ownership just seems like the type that assumes throw money at the problem and it’ll get fixed. Totally speculation on my part but seems to be the case.

I still think Houston is a likely spot for Kimbrel. And I still think the nationals are a sleeper team to get KB. Issue with the Nats is whether or not they’ll cave and give up one of their two top pitching prospects…I’d prefer Rutledge

Kimbrel is not a match up with Kimbrel. They have little need for him.

Baez: i dont see a over pay:

4:37PM: Speaking to The Athletic’s Tim Britton and other reporters, Lindor said he has a Grade 2 oblique strain, and indicated that he’ll miss time well beyond the 10-day minimum. “I would love to say I’m day-to-day but I’m not. This is more like week-to-week at the beginning and we’ll see how I bounce back,” Lindor said.

I see a lowball offer if any. Lindor is not out for the season and Baez is baggage right now. If they even decided to get creative the return is not moving the needle.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not to mention JD Davis has been hitting over .350 sense returning from the DL. Add to it his lowest month was .333.

Bryant at this point is a downgrade to Davis. The numbers dont lie.

So i really see this as MLB is not going to over pay for under achievers. Joc did not move a needle. Jed got a non prospect filler basically for him.

At the end of the day Jwd is better off going mega with Bryant, Davies and Kimbrel to get a haul. Rizz might be a match with Boston. Baez he is worth more in a draft pick right now. Slap him with a QO on his ass as he walks out the door.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Kimbrel is not a match up with Kimbrel. They have little need for him.

Baez: i dont see a over pay:

4:37PM: Speaking to The Athletic’s Tim Britton and other reporters, Lindor said he has a Grade 2 oblique strain, and indicated that he’ll miss time well beyond the 10-day minimum. “I would love to say I’m day-to-day but I’m not. This is more like week-to-week at the beginning and we’ll see how I bounce back,” Lindor said.

I see a lowball offer if any. Lindor is not out for the season and Baez is baggage right now. If they even decided to get creative the return is not moving the needle.
Uhhh wut??

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Typo. Mets. Thanks for catching it.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Typo. Mets. Thanks for catching it.

and why couldn’t the mets use Kimbrel? Guess you missed where Diaz blew a save last night and has a 4.30 ERA this season. Those aren’t closer quality numbers. Literally any team competing for a World Series could improve their roster with Kimbrel

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I still believe in Davies, Kimbrel and Bryant to the Padres for Meyers and 2-3 45-40 ranked pitchers.

Teams are not going to over pay anymore. At best the Yu deal is as good as it gets. At least with Meyers he goes to 1B after Rizzo is traded. Jed get some control back. Padres get a contract offload to better manage increasing payroll.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
and why couldn’t the mets use Kimbrel? Guess you missed where Diaz blew a save last night and has a 4.30 ERA this season. Those aren’t closer quality numbers. Literally any team competing for a World Series could improve their roster with Kimbrel

Yes that is true. Kimbrel will improve any team right now. But you also have to look at it from who has the better return and how do you get it.

Then factor in need. Little or great.

Cubs in 2016 over paid because Rondon was not a legit closer on a penant team.

Diaz has been at that level and can again.

So a team like that has wealth in pitching right now. They are just adding depth vs filling a need.

Need will get a big return.

Want will cause squabbling over value.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yes that is true. Kimbrel will improve any team right now. But you also have to look at it from who has the better return and how do you get it.

Then factor in need. Little or great.

Cubs in 2016 over paid because Rondon was not a legit closer on a penant team.

Diaz has been at that level and can again.

So a team like that has wealth in pitching right now. They are just adding depth vs filling a need.

Need will get a big return.

Want will cause squabbling over value.

rondon had good seasons pre 2016, kinda like Diaz has. Last I checked a 4.30 ERA is not what you want from your closer. It is a need for the Mets, just because it’s less of a need than other teams doesn’t mean it’s not still a need for the Mets too. It doesn’t matter what they have done previous seasons…that’s not going to help the Mets win. They are trying to win THIS season, and Kimbrel would be a significant upgrade over Diaz. Kimbrel and his sub 1 ERA >>> Diaz and his 4.30 ERA

the other big reason the Mets would consider trading for Kimbrel, is it guarantees teams like the Phillies, braves, and nationals DONT have Kimbrel to help them chase down the Mets in the division. Sometimes acting to keep your opponent from acting is just as important as “need” to the roster

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not to mention Jed would be covering inning from this point. He has Wick in rehab now. Jake should be back soon. He already has the depth on hand to pull the deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
rondon had good seasons pre 2016, kinda like Diaz has. Last I checked a 4.30 ERA is not what you want from your closer. It is a need for the Mets, just because it’s less of a need than other teams doesn’t mean it’s not still a need for the Mets too. It doesn’t matter what they have done previous seasons…that’s not going to help the Mets win. They are trying to win THIS season, and Kimbrel would be a significant upgrade over Diaz. Kimbrel and his sub 1 ERA >>> Diaz and his 4.30 ERA

the other big reason the Mets would consider trading for Kimbrel, is it guarantees teams like the Phillies, braves, and nationals DONT have Kimbrel to help them chase down the Mets in the division. Sometimes acting to keep your opponent from acting is just as important as “need” to the roster

I agree with you on that. But Rondon at that point was a rule 5 guy that stuck. He did fine in low pressure games. That team would explode in runs so a nail bitter was not really needed.

Theo was right in pulling that deal. Going in the Cubs were to best team in the majors. The pen was lacking. It paid off.

Mets IDK honestly. They dont need Bryant. They could just deal with Miami and get a OF.

So I see the best scenerio as both side get something that they want.

Padres remove future contract.

Cubs get control and pitching depth which they are needing.

Win/win.

That makes a good negoation. Dealing with a team that might want a upgrade is really not a strong bed partner.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not to mention.

The Pads are looking in right now. They need a boost to avoid a 1 game series.

Personal note. Not a fan but it would make it more lively here if it went down. Beats watching a end of era team.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
@jts1207

3E1B52F3-B5AF-4CDC-A5EF-57F3D77EAB53.png
5109F1C4-AEC8-42B6-BBDB-3E95B42B5AE2.png

article today about how there’s 17 teams looking to add by the trade deadline. So that’s 17 of 30 teams actively looking to buy. Gee, over half the league is looking to add. But you assured me there’s only 8 teams looking to be buyers?!?! How can this be?!? ?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I agree with you on that. But Rondon at that point was a rule 5 guy that stuck. He did fine in low pressure games. That team would explode in runs so a nail bitter was not really needed.

Theo was right in pulling that deal. Going in the Cubs were to best team in the majors. The pen was lacking. It paid off.

Mets IDK honestly. They dont need Bryant. They could just deal with Miami and get a OF.

So I see the best scenerio as both side get something that they want.

Padres remove future contract.

Cubs get control and pitching depth which they are needing.

Win/win.

That makes a good negoation. Dealing with a team that might want a upgrade is really not a strong bed partner.

I agree there’s plenty of teams that make sense for Bryant. My initial point was that if the cubs want to go the route of getting elite prospects back in return, then packaging Kimbrel and Bryant together(and in the Mets case Baez as well due to their need for SS now and offense) could make sense. The Mets were the team example I used because they are a rare team that can actually make use of all 3 guys

CSF77

Liked Posts:
SD looks like the big buyer right now.

They need a starter and a upgrade to Meyers/Hosmer.

Thinking about this some.

Jed has said that he wants to compete in 2022. I will use that term loose.

I take that as I will need established players with control going into the offseason.

lets play a game. Just speculative.

Padres have the #8 or #6 system. Depending on who you talk to.

So 3 way trade.

Rangers give up Gallo

Cubs give up Bryant and Davies.

Padres give up Meyers and Hosmer.

Padres get Gallo, Bryant and Davies

Cubs get Meyers and Hosmer.

After Cubs trade Baez and Rizzo send recieved players to Texas. Pays for Gallo.

Cubs lock up 1B and LF. SS remains open but Jed still has his biggest chip on the table that he can now sit and wait for the best return.

sounds ugly? Ya it does but it fits the narative right now. Compete in 2022 they will need players with control more than system depth.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
SD looks like the big buyer right now.

They need a starter and a upgrade to Meyers/Hosmer.

Thinking about this some.

Jed has said that he wants to compete in 2022. I will use that term loose.

I take that as I will need established players with control going into the offseason.

lets play a game. Just speculative.

Padres have the #8 or #6 system. Depending on who you talk to.

So 3 way trade.

Rangers give up Gallo

Cubs give up Bryant and Davies.

Padres give up Meyers and Hosmer.

Padres get Gallo, Bryant and Davies

Cubs get Meyers and Hosmer.

After Cubs trade Baez and Rizzo send recieved players to Texas. Pays for Gallo.

Cubs lock up 1B and LF. SS remains open but Jed still has his biggest chip on the table that he can now sit and wait for the best return.

sounds ugly? Ya it does but it fits the narative right now. Compete in 2022 they will need players with control more than system depth.
Lol what a terrible idea