2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol what a terrible idea

Ya but if you look at it.

Cubs get Meyers at 22.5M for 2022 with a opt year. Which falls in line with what Jed has been aiming at.

Hosmer 2022 21M then 23-25 13 mil each year.

Thinking of it in a busness sense this is something Jed would do.

He is stingy. Lets face reality here. It is about cost control. This deal adds 2 cost controls and sheds players that are out of the plans.

The golden goose is Kimbrel. He should get a solid return. The rest are just rentals. Out of them Bryant has Marte and Castillanos in competition. Bryant has not been locked in at the plate at this point. June killed his net value going into the deadline.

Crappy idea ya from a system refill view point. But from a business view point it makes sense. He gains control vs paying market value on two guys. That way he can focus on the rotation and toss his hat into the SS derby in the offseason.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Ya but if you look at it.

Cubs get Meyers at 22.5M for 2022 with a opt year. Which falls in line with what Jed has been aiming at.

Hosmer 2022 21M then 23-25 13 mil each year.

Thinking of it in a busness sense this is something Jed would do.

He is stingy. Lets face reality here. It is about cost control. This deal adds 2 cost controls and sheds players that are out of the plans.

The golden goose is Kimbrel. He should get a solid return. The rest are just rentals. Out of them Bryant has Marte and Castillanos in competition. Bryant has not been locked in at the plate at this point. June killed his net value going into the deadline.

Crappy idea ya from a system refill view point. But from a business view point it makes sense. He gains control vs paying market value on two guys. That way he can focus on the rotation and toss his hat into the SS derby in the offseason.
No professional GM would do this. There is no benefit. It makes us worse now, with no future benefit.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No professional GM would do this. There is no benefit. It makes us worse now, with no future benefit.

Worse now is debatable. Last I checked Rizzo, Baez rubbish. Bryant competition. Davies. Jekyle and Hyde. Walks are the constant.

What are ypu getting by sitting on them?

I look at it like this:

You are not going to refill the system with these guys. 2018 yes. Teams would be buying 3 years of control and that value.

Right now a team is looking at a team falling apart at the seams. Jed has little leverage outside of Kimbrel going in. The next big assett there is competion that I can use to lower my cost.

So in reality outsidecof Kimbrel Jed has little leverage right now. At this point a QO is a safe option. And that is sad.

Theo was to blame. When he said he wanted to overhaul it a few years back he should have. The time was right and he decided to sit on them.

It was foolish to do so.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But from fan point of view ya I want a system refill. I just dont believe that the value is what we think it is.

The way to look at it is simple.

Best return value. You do not want to lose them. The team is competing because the parts are good.

Worst return value. Right now. All are playing like shit. No control. Not a needle mover.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But Jed did this with Yu. Sold when his value was peaking. Kimbrel peaking. Rest debatable. That is a issue going in.

That trade. Not saying it is good or not. Just a example.

Hosmer 2022 Jed pays him the 22M. That leaves 23/24/25 at 13M each. He rebuilds value in Chicago next year. Jed trades those 3 years of cost control when his value peaks again.

He pulls the opt on Meyers and moves him to 1B. Then he reinvests into the team again. Farm system is one year closer and another draft done to refil.

At the end of the day it is not a bad plan. Not at all. It is about selling at highest value. There are always buyers. You want to have the leverage going in.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Worse now is debatable. Last I checked Rizzo, Baez rubbish. Bryant competition. Davies. Jekyle and Hyde. Walks are the constant.

I look at it like this:

You are not going to refill the system with these guys. 2018 yes. Teams would be buying 3 years of control and that value.

Right now a team is looking at a team falling apart at the seams. Jed has little leverage outside of Kimbrel going in. The next big assett there is competion that I can use to lower my cost.

So in reality outsidecof Kimbrel Jed has little leverage right now. At this point a QO is a safe option. And that is sad.

Theo was to blame. When he said he wanted to overhaul it a few years back he should have. The time was right and he decided to sit on them.

It was foolish to do so.

jed has plenty of leverage. It’s called multiple teams wanting some of his players.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
jed has plenty of leverage. It’s called multiple teams wanting some of his players.
Right if a team is interested and thinks they can win this year, that is all the leverage you need. Especially if divisional opponents of same team are also interested

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

I look at it like this:

It was foolish to do so.
I dont remember if I was ready to sell yet then but I know you certainly weren't so it seems ridiculous you are throwing Theo under the bus now

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I dont remember if I was ready to sell yet then but I know you certainly weren't so it seems ridiculous you are throwing Theo under the bus now

“ya but if you look at it”

“things have changed since then”

or will it be a brand new excuse we haven’t heard yet?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
“ya but if you look at it”

“things have changed since then”

or will it be a brand new excuse we haven’t heard yet?
Don't forget the fact that "control" is the most important factor. Let's trade our best trade chips for two 31 year old guys because the Cubs get "control". LOL

Even a dumbass like Hoyer would have to think that one over.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree. But I think he should use that to his advantage. Making a huge move with one team would be lazy. I already have Hoyer penciled in as an idiot for the Darvish trade....he just might be that lazy. I think there's more to be had by splitting these guys up in trades.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I agree. But I think he should use that to his advantage. Making a huge move with one team would be lazy. I already have Hoyer penciled in as an idiot for the Darvish trade....he just might be that lazy. I think there's more to be had by splitting these guys up in trades.

its possible. Hard telling what type of offers jed is getting so far. If it yields better quality prospects to package em together then do it. If it yields more separately to different teams, then you do that. I just know reports are the Mets are hesitant to trade their top two prospects, so if throwing Kimbrel in with Bryant gets those elite prospects in the deal, then it makes sense to acquire the better prospect(s)

I’d rather have one elite prospect than 3 or 4 middling prospects

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
its possible. Hard telling what type of offers jed is getting so far. If it yields better quality prospects to package em together then do it. If it yields more separately to different teams, then you do that. I just know reports are the Mets are hesitant to trade their top two prospects, so if throwing Kimbrel in with Bryant gets those elite prospects in the deal, then it makes sense to acquire the better prospect(s)

I’d rather have one elite prospect than 3 or 4 middling prospects
Yeah, I agree about the elite over the middling but if he's patient....there will be probably a few contending teams that will lose an important game because of a closer that fails to close. And if it's been happening off and on all season, Kimbrell might reel in that top prospect on his own. I've been saying this for weeks....I think Kimbrell is their biggest trade chip.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
GMs do stupid things if they think they can win a pennant let alone a playoff series. The culture in the clubhouse at Wrigley is trash. Change of scenery will do any of Baez, Rizzo, and Bryant well. Teams will still be interested.

Bust

Liked Posts:
GMs do stupid things if they think they can win a pennant let alone a playoff series. The culture in the clubhouse at Wrigley is trash. Change of scenery will do any of Baez, Rizzo, and Bryant well. Teams will still be interested.

In regards to the culture, on the subject of vaccinations you see the drama on social media, news outlet agencies, and on this board. Some politicians will lose seats based off how this drama unfolds into 2022 midterms. Am sure players <ownership and front office effected as well> hold it in but a few probably despised team captain Rizzo for going public that he didn't get a shot. Heyward as well.

*read between the lines...*

If you want to call it, we argued about it,” Baez said. “But at the end of the day, we are all men here. We respect each other.”

There was obvious locker room turmoil in regards to this subject. Anthony Rizzo = CANCER. TRADE HIM!!!!

Bust

Liked Posts:
Woah, that article Baez was stating there were vaccine arguments within the clubhouse was posted on June 13th.

Look at the Cubs record June 14th and on. Team playing and losing like a locker room divided since.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
and why couldn’t the mets use Kimbrel? Guess you missed where Diaz blew a save last night and has a 4.30 ERA this season. Those aren’t closer quality numbers. Literally any team competing for a World Series could improve their roster with Kimbrel

Diaz has completely lost command of his pitches since the sticky substances have been outlawed. He gave up a walk off grand slam a couple of days ago after walking the bases loaded. The Mets are going to have to pull him from the closer role. Dude is cooked.