2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So we were teased with a great return from SF and then got the news it was less than it should have been and far less than reported?

He might not be bad. He is a 50 grade talent. Too early to tell.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Write up on the SF OF

Despite sitting in the international spending penalty box in 2016 after signing Bahamian shortstop Lucius Fox for $6 million the year before, the Giants still found a bargain by signing Canario for $60,000 out of the Dominican Republic. He won MVP honors at the Rookie-level Dominican Summer League's all-star game during his 2017 pro debut and really broke out two years later by batting .318/.377/.623 with 16 homers in 59 games between Rookie and short-season ball. He dislocated his left shoulder in instructional league last fall, but isn't expected to miss any time in 2021 following surgery.

With the best bat speed among San Francisco prospects outside of Marco Luciano, as well as his growing strength and the loft and leverage in his right-handed swing, Canario has well above-average raw power. Though he hit .291 in his first three years as a pro, he's overly aggressive and gets too pull-happy and long with his stroke. After he posted a 30 percent strikeout rate in 2019, the Giants had him focus on strike-zone discipline and the consistency of his at-bats at their alternate site and in instructional league.

Several big league players commented on Canario's impressive package of tools when they saw him at the alt site. He has average speed out of the batter's box, is faster underway and has a plus arm in the outfield. He has split his pro career between center and right field, fitting better on a corner because his reads and routes need work

dchawks59

Liked Posts:
Too bad they could not get someone for Heyward and Happ. Both likely need a change of scenery as between them they can hardly get out of a wet paper bag hitting. Surprised at the fire sale by the Cubs, guess Hoyer felt he was getting better of the deals before all the FA's took off for greener pastures. Wonder if any of them will want to come back to Cubs as FA? Maybe Rizzo.... Whatever, wish them all luck and success on their new teams and one of them hopefully wins a WC

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Viz is now ranked #6. 50 grade arm.
Canario alao is a 50 ranked bat.
Alacantara 50 ranked bat. Ranked #9.
Armstrong 50 ranked bat.

So that puts the top 14 all 50+ grade prospects. That is very deep. No big chips but the depth is solid 2nd tier talent.
I wouldn't say that. The thing the cubs did and have done since the darvish trade was target really young players. Those players are inherently riskier but they have larger ceilings. PCA and Alcantra could easily be considered top 50 prospects a year from now.

The Bryant trade to me is the one that's the most head scratching. Canario has mashed but he's already on the 40 man and while I really like how well Killian has pitched he's 24. And given what Bryant is you would have thought of anyone he would return the most save for maybe Kimbrel.

That being said, getting fucking Madrigal for Kimbrel coming into the year would have been pretty crazy to suggest. That trade alone really solidifies the deadline IMO.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Rizzo out tha dizzo.
Joey Bart is the second best catching prospect and the 17th overall prospect. He is Major League ready by next year. Wade Jr. was playing First and batting leadoff for the Giants. Nice left handed bat that can play a bunch of positions.
So Willson gets gone too?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Fucking Cardinals still think they are in it. They're gonna need to play .800 ball to catch the runaway train in Milwaukee.
Recapping: they picked up two pitchers today. Jon Lester is the younger of the two.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
It was a good run and at least we finally got a ring out of it. It was time to make these moves though. The team was flawed. Sentimentality has no place in sports if you want to be successful. My hope going forward is they will be smarter in their next window so they can sustain success

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lol I didn't realize happ was older than lester
Years ago my Dad was playing cards with dr who delivered darn near every kid in town.

Phillies game on TV at the club (Happ’s dad is a member)

A guy named Chad Durbin comes in from the pen to relieve JA Happ. Doc looks at TV and casually says “I delivered both those boys.”

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
It was a good run and at least we finally got a ring out of it. It was time to make these moves though. The team was flawed. Sentimentality has no place in sports if you want to be successful. My hope going forward is they will be smarter in their next window so they can sustain success
Rebuidling for 2029

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
2023 or 2024
My ass. This team was just sent into the dark ages.

Need a full pitching staff
And need a full roster of positional players.
This aint it.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
My ass. This team was just sent into the dark ages.

Need a full pitching staff
And need a full roster of positional players.
This aint it.
They have like 130+ mill in payroll they could add over the next several offseasons with a really good minor league system.