2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Is there a trophy for that?
You do understand that this is how baseball works right? The Red Sox traded Mookie Betts what 2 years ago now and are a 1st place team. I just don't get your attitude frankly. I'd much rather see the cubs blow this up and try to start anew than to continue to do what has failed every year after 2016.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
No, but we are considering one for biggest douche bag on the board so you’ve got that going for you

Tell me more. You seem so angry though. Can you calm down enough?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
You do understand that this is how baseball works right? The Red Sox traded Mookie Betts what 2 years ago now and are a 1st place team. I just don't get your attitude frankly. I'd much rather see the cubs blow this up and try to start anew than to continue to do what has failed every year after 2016.

Name me a team in any sport that imploded the core like that in 24 hrs. I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

I'm glad the Cubs got a haul for these guys. It doesn't make it feel good inside though ya know? Like deep down I am shook to my core. Do you too have those feelings?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Name me a team in any sport that imploded the core like that in 24 hrs. I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

I'm glad the Cubs got a haul for these guys. It doesn't make it feel good inside though ya know? Like deep down I am shook to my core. Do you too have those feelings?
The Marshall football program, 1970.

dchawks59

Liked Posts:
Not angry at the Cubs, not unexpected what happened and at least expectations for rest of year and 2022 are pretty well set now. However, wonder how this plays for fans now? Jed Hoyer 7/08/21 Hoyer on whether to call #Cubs' next phase a rebuild (1/2): "We're in a different situation now than we were in 2012. The decisions we're making, the processes we're going through are completely different. That label is certainly something to be avoided."
Hmmm Sure seems like a rebuild based on what is left, what they have coming up from minors AND what they received in return (R-A, A, AA players for the most part and some are ???? ...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I mean the 1997 florida marlins tore down the team far worse than the cubs have and won a title 6 years later on a largely shoe-string budget. I'm sure there are other examples. The 2016 yankees for example were in a very similar situation to the cubs and traded away pieces to get better for the future.

And I mean i get the feeling of loss for players you like but end of the day the cubs weren't winning with them. For whatever reason the cubs offense had a hitting flaw. My thought process has always been it's an issue with K rate which is why when I see them trading for literally the best contact hitter in baseball(Madrigal) I'm very happy.

As it goes for Baez... i mean regulars around here will tell you I was never his biggest fan. I didn't hate him but I never felt his high boom/bust style of hitting played well. Rizzo I am sad to lose but I also think it's entirely plausible they sign him as a FA because I really doubt NY is going to re-sign him. And as for Bryant... i mean they tried to lock him up long term but he wants to be really paid and if I'm being honest... I don't think he's worth top tier money(i.e. $35 mil a year). Paying him that feels like a contract you're going to regret.

So for me it's just a case where I saw the writing on the wall and I'm honestly glad they got as much as they did for people. Rizzo and Baez both brought back essentially 1st round level talent. Madrigal was a top 10 pick and I've already said why i love him for the cubs. I'm less thrilled by the Bryant return but from what I've read the OF they got is pretty boom/bust and is lacking a hit tool but that's the profile Davis had when they drafted him and they've done well fixing his swing among others. And the pitcher they got looks like he could be a Davies/Hendricks type that the cubs have had some success with.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not angry at the Cubs, not unexpected what happened and at least expectations for rest of year and 2022 are pretty well set now. However, wonder how this plays for fans now? Jed Hoyer 7/08/21 Hoyer on whether to call #Cubs' next phase a rebuild (1/2): "We're in a different situation now than we were in 2012. The decisions we're making, the processes we're going through are completely different. That label is certainly something to be avoided."
Hmmm Sure seems like a rebuild based on what is left, what they have coming up from minors AND what they received in return (R-A, A, AA players for the most part and some are ???? ...
See I don't agree with this but I get why you think that. My counter point to this would be that you still have Hendricks, Hoerner, Happ, Madrigal and Contreras. The 2012 team had what Shark and Dempster and they eventually traded for Rizzo.

I'd also counter that the 2012 cubs farm system was really shitty. Like REALLY shitty. Seriously look at the players they got out of the system the 5 or so years after that. It's like Baez and that's it. Maples I guess is still around but it's really really rough. The current cubs farm system is very deep but it doesn't presently have prospect viewed as elite. However, a number of the players the cubs have are guys that are toolsy and could easily bubble up.

And even then it was 3 years and the cubs were competing again.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I mean the 1997 florida marlins tore down the team far worse than the cubs have and won a title 6 years later on a largely shoe-string budget. I'm sure there are other examples. The 2016 yankees for example were in a very similar situation to the cubs and traded away pieces to get better for the future.

And I mean i get the feeling of loss for players you like but end of the day the cubs weren't winning with them. For whatever reason the cubs offense had a hitting flaw. My thought process has always been it's an issue with K rate which is why when I see them trading for literally the best contact hitter in baseball(Madrigal) I'm very happy.

As it goes for Baez... i mean regulars around here will tell you I was never his biggest fan. I didn't hate him but I never felt his high boom/bust style of hitting played well. Rizzo I am sad to lose but I also think it's entirely plausible they sign him as a FA because I really doubt NY is going to re-sign him. And as for Bryant... i mean they tried to lock him up long term but he wants to be really paid and if I'm being honest... I don't think he's worth top tier money(i.e. $35 mil a year). Paying him that feels like a contract you're going to regret.

So for me it's just a case where I saw the writing on the wall and I'm honestly glad they got as much as they did for people. Rizzo and Baez both brought back essentially 1st round level talent. Madrigal was a top 10 pick and I've already said why i love him for the cubs. I'm less thrilled by the Bryant return but from what I've read the OF they got is pretty boom/bust and is lacking a hit tool but that's the profile Davis had when they drafted him and they've done well fixing his swing among others. And the pitcher they got looks like he could be a Davies/Hendricks type that the cubs have had some success with.

Blowing up this roster was an obvious necessity, anyone that doesn't see that is missing the big picture.

I think overall we got a decent ROI, and if anyone wants to question the ROI - especially on the Bryant trade - that's fair game.

But questioning the overall strategy of blowing this up for a reset is just meatball.

Castor76

Liked Posts:

Maybe not in 24 hrs, but the Marlins blew up both WS teams the offseason after winning in 97 and 03. The Cubs weren't making the playoffs this year and keeping those players made no sense when they could accept the reality of this season and start reloading. Does it mean they contend next year? Probably not, but with 100-150 mil in payroll this offseason or next, they could be back in it pretty quickly.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
See I don't agree with this but I get why you think that. My counter point to this would be that you still have Hendricks, Hoerner, Happ, Madrigal and Contreras. The 2012 team had what Shark and Dempster and they eventually traded for Rizzo.

I'd also counter that the 2012 cubs farm system was really shitty. Like REALLY shitty. Seriously look at the players they got out of the system the 5 or so years after that. It's like Baez and that's it. Maples I guess is still around but it's really really rough. The current cubs farm system is very deep but it doesn't presently have prospect viewed as elite. However, a number of the players the cubs have are guys that are toolsy and could easily bubble up.

A strong farm system that will inevitably get better next year and $150 mill to spend can turn a team around pretty quick.

They gave the core every chance to prove they worth investing in before moving on

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Baez trade got a #19 draft pick. Lead off type.

To be honest here. The Cubs now have 14 prospects over 50 grade not including the last draft. As far as depth goes they are a very deep system right now.

I wouldnt hang my hat on this team until Davis and Marquez get up. You have to have superstar talent to build around.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
There's something off-putting about a major market team blowing up their core like this, but I can't say I would support the organization giving Rizzo/Bryant/Baez their reported asking prices. I also don't have a large amount of faith in Jed Hoyer. But it was definitely team to rebuild.

dchawks59

Liked Posts:

Hoyer finally stated exactly what everyone already knew; re-build the team, re-build the minors, re-build and hopefuly in 3 years or so they can be back to competitive for playoffs. The "new core" of players is young, unproven and has holes that need to be filled within the next year or two. FA's likely will have to be the route as noted, they really do not have anyone in their system today that is considered elite, I believe 3 in top 100 minor leaguers all in AA and 1 R League player.. A ways away if all goes right.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Hoyer finally stated exactly what everyone already knew; re-build the team, re-build the minors, re-build and hopefuly in 3 years or so they can be back to competitive for playoffs. The "new core" of players is young, unproven and has holes that need to be filled within the next year or two. FA's likely will have to be the route as noted, they really do not have anyone in their system today that is considered elite, I believe 3 in top 100 minor leaguers all in AA and 1 R League player.. A ways away if all goes right.

That’s my problem with it. We’ve got guys on this board salivating over other teams. 8th or 9th best players they think will automatically show up in the bigs for us and be great. There have been plenty of our own prospects ranked higher than anything we currently have that never panned out.