Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
They have like 130+ mill in payroll they could add over the next several offseasons with a really good minor league system.
And they won't. They just showed how willing they are to pony up dollars for players. Cubs are in recoop dollars mode.
Mark my words. A decade plus of snoozefest losing

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say that. The thing the cubs did and have done since the darvish trade was target really young players. Those players are inherently riskier but they have larger ceilings. PCA and Alcantra could easily be considered top 50 prospects a year from now.

The Bryant trade to me is the one that's the most head scratching. Canario has mashed but he's already on the 40 man and while I really like how well Killian has pitched he's 24. And given what Bryant is you would have thought of anyone he would return the most save for maybe Kimbrel.

That being said, getting fucking Madrigal for Kimbrel coming into the year would have been pretty crazy to suggest. That trade alone really solidifies the deadline IMO.

Ya I am really liking Nico and Madrigal up the middle and at the top of the order.

Constructing a team for next year it is a solid starting point.

Madrigal 2B
Hoerner SS
(Dream signing Freeman 1B)
(Dream signing Castellanos LF or Confronto)
Contreras C (extend or trade and bring up Amaya)
Happ CF (Place holder for Davis)
Wisdom 3B
Heyward RF

That would be a decent gap filler for the farm to mature.

SP I still feel that Alzolay should get pushed into a closer role. Him lacking a change up is a major issue.
Steel and Thompson I would bring up ASAP. They have Jake returning soon but I would DFA him. Eat the deal. Bring Steel up and say F-it. When Thompson is extended then push Adbert to the pen. There is opportunity and he needs to limit his innings anyways.

This season is toast. It is better to line up 2022. See what they have and cast off the trash.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Ya I am really liking Nico and Madrigal up the middle and at the top of the order.

Constructing a team for next year it is a solid starting point.

Madrigal 2B
Hoerner SS
(Dream signing Freeman 1B)
(Dream signing Castellanos LF or Confronto)
Contreras C (extend or trade and bring up Amaya)
Happ CF (Place holder for Davis)
Wisdom 3B
Heyward RF

That would be a decent gap filler for the farm to mature.

SP I still feel that Alzolay should get pushed into a closer role. Him lacking a change up is a major issue.
Steel and Thompson I would bring up ASAP. They have Jake returning soon but I would DFA him. Eat the deal. Bring Steel up and say F-it. When Thompson is extended then push Adbert to the pen. There is opportunity and he needs to limit his innings anyways.

This season is toast. It is better to line up 2022. See what they have and cast off the trash.

I always enjoy your optimism and your take on things.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm honestly happier where this team sits than the 2014 cubs were. Yes the 2014 team had better top end players but I don't think people appreciate the amount of depth the cubs now have. Also, other than Heyward, the cubs really have a clean slate in terms of payroll. The issue with the previous run in my eyes is that once the top guys were in the majors they didn't have enough depth behind them to fill holes and stay relevant. That's what makes the dodgers the team they are because they have depth and guys break out.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also also, cubs currently sit 11th worst in terms of record. They could potentially end up with a top 5 pick after this sell off

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hey clown. The Cubs can spend 210M with out blinking a eye.

They could:

1. Sign Confronto for LF
2. Sign Bring back Castillanos for RF. He loved his time here.
3. Eat Heywards contract. Boot to the curb.
4. Push Davis to AAA and have him MLB ready next year. The bat is there.
5. Shit can Jake Push Adbert into set up. Promote Steel and Thompson to finish the season in the rotation.
6. Add a plus arm for 2022. The Cubs have little pending right now so this could be a major investment. Carlos Rondon would be my main target.

That puts the rotation at:

Hendricks
Rondon
Thompson
Steel
Mills

Marquez pending

Adbert, Maples and Wick in the 7-9. Let them battle it out. Wieck becomes the main lefty and he has been very good.

Line up

(If you went conservative)

1. Mad 2B
2. Confronto LF
3. Castillanos RF
4. Contreras C
5. Duffy 3B
6. Wisdom 1B
7. Happ CF
8. Hoerner SS

That would cost around 75M IMO at most on a add on. This would be a team akin to the Reds this year. 80-90 win team and getting talent infused. As they start to get corner OF up Castillanos moves to 1B. We have to figure Wisdom is a short window of success and expendable soon. Duffy same thing.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I really dont think this team is looking at contending until 2025 at the earliest. Anything sooner is a pipe dream unless the front office spends big money, and hits on all FA's, for the next couple of off-seasons

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I had hoped they would keep oneof the three core guys, and at different times the one I expected they would keep changed.

Had they done that I would have been fine with it.

But I am fine with what they did now. I have complaints about what they did other times, especially getting almost nothing for Darvish, Cratini, Schwarber.

And I definitely have concerns whether they will do in the future what is needed to get into contention again.

But today had to happen. I actually feel more relieved. Not happy, necessarily. But resigned to the fact it was necessary.

It was more exciting before with more top end guys and not having blown up everything. But it had to happen. And as Beckdawg said, they are deep in good prospects.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Hey clown. The Cubs can spend 210M with out blinking a eye.

They could:

1. Sign Confronto for LF
2. Sign Bring back Castillanos for RF. He loved his time here.
3. Eat Heywards contract. Boot to the curb.
4. Push Davis to AAA and have him MLB ready next year. The bat is there.
5. Shit can Jake Push Adbert into set up. Promote Steel and Thompson to finish the season in the rotation.
6. Add a plus arm for 2022. The Cubs have little pending right now so this could be a major investment. Carlos Rondon would be my main target.

That puts the rotation at:

Hendricks
Rondon
Thompson
Steel
Mills

Marquez pending

Adbert, Maples and Wick in the 7-9. Let them battle it out. Wieck becomes the main lefty and he has been very good.

Line up

(If you went conservative)

1. Mad 2B
2. Confronto LF
3. Castillanos RF
4. Contreras C
5. Duffy 3B
6. Wisdom 1B
7. Happ CF
8. Hoerner SS

That would cost around 75M IMO at most on a add on. This would be a team akin to the Reds this year. 80-90 win team and getting talent infused. As they start to get corner OF up Castillanos moves to 1B. We have to figure Wisdom is a short window of success and expendable soon. Duffy same thing.
Adbert needs to stay in rotation. Needs to work on a pitch to get lefties out obviously but needs to stay in rotation.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Something not really being discussed is we don't know how the CBA will shape out. Cubs only have like ~$40 mil committed to next year prior to arb. So, they are in a very advantageous position. For example, it's entirely possible they may institute a hard salary cap at which point teams are gonna be desperate to shed contracts. Cubs could pick up even more prospects by eating money while they wait for their prospects to arrive.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I see Jorge Soler got moved. Went to Braves.

Hope he hits a shitton of HRs to help keep the Mets out of postseason

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And they won't. They just showed how willing they are to pony up dollars for players. Cubs are in recoop dollars mode.
Mark my words. A decade plus of snoozefest losing
Doormat of the National league once again.....

This isn't Theo blowin' it up and gettin' prospects THIS time.........another 108 years?