2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
When Theo and Jed came into the organization in 2011 they sold anything that could move for prospects. The Cubs then finished in last place for the next three years. I loved it, they had been halfassing it with overpriced free agents and no farm team core. They then made the NLCS in 2015 and the rest is history. Cubs fans will support a complete tear down, if there is light at the end of the tunnel. If Jed tries to halfass it by holding on to some talent that will eventually walk away as free agents just to ensure attendance, he will have blown a great opportunity. We need to thank our stars effusively as we send them to their next MLB homes, but we do need to send them on their way for the good of the organization. One more thing, I have nothing against Ross, but the Cubs need to play a smarter brand of baseball. If Ross is not the right guy to do that, then he should not be retained.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No reason to keep any of them. Just a matter of when you deal them or let them walk. After 2016, the Core rotted from the inside out. You don’t want any of them to be around the next crop of younger players to be honest.

No. The issue was the inability to self develop pitching. If Jed had pitching incoming then Eloy would be on the team still. The Tigers trades soaked talent for pitching.

So it was more of a system depleating. That depth could have been used on the field while the shorter term players could have been used to replenish the system at their highest value vs at their lowest return value.

So the core was not rotten. Leadership failed to act and sat on that core.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
No. The issue was the inability to self develop pitching. If Jed had pitching incoming then Eloy would be on the team still. The Tigers trades soaked talent for pitching.

So it was more of a system depleating. That depth could have been used on the field while the shorter term players could have been used to replenish the system at their highest value vs at their lowest return value.

So the core was not rotten. Leadership failed to act and sat on that core.
I agree Cubs handling of their lineup has not been good, thoughtful post...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
After saying that. It makes me feel that Jed needs to be removed also for the health of the org going forward. Even if they GM he answers to Jed. Nothing will change.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Bryce Ball is not a bad get for Joc. He raked it at lower levels and struggled this year. Could use a change of systems to figure things out.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Joc Pederson the first trade. He didnt last long.

wait?! I was assured that the cubs had no players of value to offer in trades?! That we would get peanuts for anyone we trade?! This is just the beginning boys!

also, won’t miss Joc one bit. Cubs actually got better by dumping him for a decent prospect. Braves supposedly took on all the rest of Joc’s salary for this year plus the buy out cost/mutual option cost, and the cubs still got the braves #12 prospect

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ball has real big power and not so great hit. Not my ideal player type but the value for joc is pretty good here. Also cubs have like no depth at 1B so adding one isn't the worst thing in the world.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
wait?! I was assured that the cubs had no players of value to offer in trades?! That we would get peanuts for anyone we trade?! This is just the beginning boys!

also, won’t miss Joc one bit. Cubs actually got better by dumping him for a decent prospect. Braves supposedly took on all the rest of Joc’s salary for this year plus the buy out cost/mutual option cost, and the cubs still got the braves #12 prospect

I'm with you man..... absolute stud we got here. That .207 avg will translate well to the majors once we dump Rizzo

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm with you man..... absolute stud we got here. That .207 avg will translate well to the majors once we dump Rizzo

hey numb nuts, we just got a guy that will be ranked #8-#11 range in our entire farm system for a guy that has no future with the cubs, and the braves took on the entire rest of jocs contract. That’s a nice trade. But go ahead and double down on your stupidity. I would be shocked if you didn’t

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Don’t know much about this Ball character but he has more upside than Joc so I’m on board

jts1207

Liked Posts:
hey numb nuts, we just got a guy that will be ranked #8-#11 range in our entire farm system for a guy that has no future with the cubs, and the braves took on the entire rest of jocs contract. That’s a nice trade. But go ahead and double down on your stupidity. I would be shocked if you didn’t

He's a 23 year old who can't hit A+ ball. I can already tell you're going to overhype every prospect we get lol

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
What matters here is that we are getting top 20 prospects from other teams to fill out our top 20.
We can't think of him being a Cub in 2024, we have to think of Ball as just another asset. For now we try to develop him and make him more valuable. This reminds me of Dan Vogelbach in a ways, who we ended up trading for Mike Montgomery. Vogelbach never hit above .220 but he hit homers and walked a ton.

I doubt this guy plays for the Cubs but he can be a piece in another trade.

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
Holy sh*t we got Bryce Ball? Ive been following him heavily. He has huge upside for this team. His advanced stats look promising. Of cpurse he will rake lower levels because they throw tons of heat and not much breaking stuff. He will have to adjust his big swing and learn how to hit sliders and curveballs. He learns fast and we got a steal for a nobody

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He's a 23 year old who can't hit A+ ball. I can already tell you're going to overhype every prospect we get lol
He's got a 112 wRC+ in A+ and is walking at an absurd 18.9% clip. Yes the guy's batting average has tanked but he's still getting on base at .354. And he has big power.

I hate when people do this. Yes he's a prospect and in this case not even an elite one. But to sit here and act like this profile of player can't be a beneficial piece to an MLB team is absurd. There are tons of big power big obp guys who don't hit for average in the majors.

This is a very useful prospect for a 1 year rental bat.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
As for 2022, we will have more than 150 million to spend. We will get a haul for Kimbrel, and at worse draft comps for Bryant, Baez and Rizzo. With that 150 million we can use it to reshape the team to fit current MLB trends.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
He's got a 112 wRC+ in A+ and is walking at an absurd 18.9% clip. Yes the guy's batting average has tanked but he's still getting on base at .354. And he has big power.

I hate when people do this. Yes he's a prospect and in this case not even an elite one. But to sit here and act like this profile of player can't be a beneficial piece to an MLB team is absurd. There are tons of big power big obp guys who don't hit for average in the majors.

This is a very useful prospect for a 1 year rental bat.

Yes it's a minor league prospect. That's about it. Let's not act like we stole something though

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Half season rental of Joc for a prospect. I don’t mind it.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They probably couldn't have done much better trading Joc.