Akiem Hicks

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
For the 90th time, he's not deciding until next week after he meets with all teams. People are acting like he's JJ Watt

TL1961

Liked Posts:
For the 90th time, he's not deciding until next week after he meets with all teams. People are acting like he's JJ Watt

Yeah, because if people think he's an upgrade over what's currently on the roster, that makes him the equivalent of JJ Watt.

I guess you're saying only JJ is better than what we have.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

well no shit he's not JJ, BUT you should know what we have on the D-line right now!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
What is better for the team long term? Overpay for a slightly above average DL player in Hicks in order to improve the position? Or is it to draft one and improve it that way? It appears we hit on Goldman. Let's try and do it again.

Also, the last time I checked, people were comically wrong in how much money both Trevathan and Freeman. We really don't know the true market value for any of these players. So we need to stop with the "I would pay player X a Y amount of dollars".

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What is better for the team long term? Overpay for a slightly above average DL player in Hicks in order to improve the position? Or is it to draft one and improve it that way? It appears we hit on Goldman. Let's try and do it again.

Also, the last time I checked, people were comically wrong in how much money both Trevathan and Freeman. We really don't know the true market value for any of these players. So we need to stop with the "I would pay player X a Y amount of dollars".
Who says we're over paying for him? and just because we hit on Goldman, doesn't mean we will again!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
One other thing.. We really don't KNOW what we have in Ego yet. Just because Emery was a bad GM, it doesn't mean that we can assume that every player drafted by him that is still unproven indeed sucks. There is a chance that Pace actually likes this kid. He was injured most of last year and will get a chance to prove himself.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Who says we're over paying for him? and just because we hit on Goldman, doesn't mean we will again!

I think some people think we should just automatically outbid Detroit for Hicks.

Every team that is successful long term is so because they hit on draft picks. We have to be successful more often than not with upper and middle draft picks if we want to have long term success with this management.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Goldman looks like a good player, but for most of last year was a below average NFL starter who had a nice close to the season before getting hurt.

The draft is obviously where you want to get your talent from.

But the Bears need someone to stop the bleeding in 2016, week 1.

If I am shot, and the closest person is a paramedic he is more than welcome to try and save me, I am not waiting for a trauma surgeon to wander by. Sure get me to a hospital eventually, but someone keep me alive in the mean time.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
One other thing.. We really don't KNOW what we have in Ego yet. Just because Emery was a bad GM, it doesn't mean that we can assume that every player drafted by him that is still unproven indeed sucks. There is a chance that Pace actually likes this kid. He was injured most of last year and will get a chance to prove himself.

I understand that, and maybe he will turn out to be a good player, but why neglect a need for a guy that hasn't showed much!

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Goldman looks like a good player, but for most of last year was a below average NFL starter who had a nice close to the season before getting hurt.

If I am shot, and the closest person is a paramedic he is more than welcome to try and save me, I am not waiting for a trauma surgeon to wander by. Sure get me to a hospital eventually, but someone keep me alive in the mean time.
perfectly said!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I understand that, and maybe he will turn out to be a good player, but why neglect a need for a guy that hasn't showed much!

We are not neglecting a need. We are looking to upgrade the position. Just not at all costs. If Detroit wants to over pay, let them.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Love this analogy!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not really. Comparing a life threatening medical emergency to upgrading a position in the NFL is silly.

It is a metaphor for desperate and immediate need.

The Bears need on DL is desperate and immediate. But no, I do not think we should write Hicks a blank check, but something has to be done and options are dwindling.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not really. Comparing a life threatening medical emergency to upgrading a position in the NFL is silly.

Oh, God. here we go with completely missed points.

He did not compare upgrading the D line to a medical emergency. He made an analogy that you may need to make a move NOW that has a much needed benefit, even if a better move may come along LATER. They may get a better D lineman in 2017, but that would mean throwing away another season.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I agree that they have a desperate and immediate need. That is why they housed him for 2 days straight. But it is not desperate and immediate ENOUGH to write a blank check. The medical emergency would be like writing a blank check because you absolutely need those services right now.

I am just saying don't confuse desperate and immediate with panicking for a player to the point of "if we don't get this player, there is no one else we can get and the season will be thrown away".

See my point?

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:

No, that's why it is an analogy. It was spot on as well. Of course we need to build through the draft. But while we are building through the draft when can still try to be a playoff team and see where that takes us. I have no problem over paying for Hicks if they feel he can be a strong contributor. If he is worth 3 years and 12 million I'd pay 15-16 million.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Someone on twitter was speculating that he is still going to go to Detroit.

What seems weird with Hicks is how he's taking his sweet time with everything and usually free agents want to get signed asap cause the quicker you're signed usually means more money than you'll get if you're on the market for too long. Teams wanted to meet with him on the first day of free agency but reports came out about how he's not going anywhere until tomorrow and the flight delay or whatever it was for him to even get to Chicago and then he wasn't even gonna take a physical on the same day of the meeting and rather of wait till the next day to take the physical. It's almost like he's maybe waiting on a certain team to make a offer or something, like maybe he's waiting on the Patriots to do something.