Akiem Hicks

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I agree that they have a desperate and immediate need. That is why they housed him for 2 days straight. But it is not desperate and immediate ENOUGH to write a blank check. The medical emergency would be like writing a blank check because you absolutely need those services right now.

I am just saying don't confuse desperate and immediate with panicking for a player to the point of "if we don't get this player, there is no one else we can get and the season will be thrown away".

See my point?

I don't think anyone is saying without Hicks we'd go from good to a throw away season. But he is a pretty nice piece to have since our dline is young and has limited experience. When you continue to add good young pieces to your team you will eventually become good. If they have to over pay a little and believe he'd be a great fit then so be it. That's the game sometimes. And if Hicks turns out to be really solid the investment would be worth it.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
No, that's why it is an analogy. It was spot on as well. Of course we need to build through the draft. But while we are building through the draft when can still try to be a playoff team and see where that takes us. I have no problem over paying for Hicks if they feel he can be a strong contributor. If he is worth 3 years and 12 million I'd pay 15-16 million.

The reason you don't overpay for players in general is because then when the time comes to resign players you drafted well, you end up have to let them walk.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
What seems weird with Hicks is how he's taking his sweet time with everything and usually free agents want to get signed asap cause the quicker you're signed usually means more money than you'll get if you're on the market for too long. Teams wanted to meet with him on the first day of free agency but reports came out about how he's not going anywhere until tomorrow and the flight delay or whatever it was for him to even get to Chicago and then he wasn't even gonna take a physical on the same day of the meeting and rather of wait till the next day to take the physical. It's almost like he's maybe waiting on a certain team to make a offer or something, like maybe he's waiting on the Patriots to do something.

He knows he has a market as the last good young Dlineman available. He has 3 teams bidding so he will still get paid his market value.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone is saying without Hicks we'd go from good to a throw away season. But he is a pretty nice piece to have since our dline is young and has limited experience. When you continue to add good young pieces to your team you will eventually become good. If they have to over pay a little and believe he'd be a great fit then so be it. That's the game sometimes. And if Hicks turns out to be really solid the investment would be worth it.

That is the literal interpretation of a medical emergency analogy.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
The reason you don't overpay for players in general is because then when the time comes to resign players you drafted well, you end up have to let them walk.

Where not signing him to a Vernon contract. Paying him 12 million over 3 years or 16 million over 3 years isn't going to prevent us from signing anyone we really want. And he is a good young football player so the money wont be wasted like it was with Jared Allen.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Where not signing him to a Vernon contract. Paying him 12 million over 3 years or 16 million over 3 years isn't going to prevent us from signing anyone we really want. And he is a good young football player so the money wont be wasted like it was with Jared Allen.

We have NO CLUE what the numbers are right now.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
That is the literal interpretation of a medical emergency analogy.

I think what he meant was sometimes it's good to have a quick fix until you can really get what you want/need. The paramedic/Hicks is the quick fix and the Surgeon/future Draft pick is the real savior.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I think what he meant was sometimes it's good to have a quick fix until you can really get what you want/need. The paramedic/Hicks is the quick fix and the Surgeon/future Draft pick is the real savior.

I get what he meant, but using a guy getting shot isn't a quick fix. It is a fix it now or you die. A better example would be a person needing braces.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If we don't fix it, the season dies.

1. You don't have to fix it RIGHT FUCKING NOW
2. The DL will be fixed one way or another
3. Even championship caliber teams have a weakness. Not every area has to be stout.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
For the 90th time, he's not deciding until next week after he meets with all teams. People are acting like he's JJ Watt

Well heck, I'd like to see where he stated that .... just 1 time.

Not a single person is acting like he is JJ Watt

People are acting like he is a solid starter at the Bears biggest position of need.

Exactly, not to mention the draft flexibility. If we sign a veteran 5 tech via FA'cy, it won't pressure Pace to reach on one at #11 if there's a better value at OLB, CB, or even QB.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
1. You don't have to fix it RIGHT FUCKING NOW
2. The DL will be fixed one way or another
3. Even championship caliber teams have a weakness. Not every area has to be stout.

Isn't that the Jerry Angelo approach to the O-line? Well, that and drafting completely useless tackles in the first round...

YoungPA

Liked Posts:

What if you end up having to overpay the paramedic to help/quick fix you, and when you get to the Surgeon you don't have enough money for the surgery?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What if you end up having to overpay the paramedic to help/quick fix you, and when you get to the Surgeon you don't have enough money for the surgery?

If the help from the paramedic saved my life, how would that be overpaying?

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
At least you're still alive to find a different surgeon.

YoungPA

Liked Posts:
At least you're still alive to find a different surgeon.

I would rather have some regular guy (Unrien/Ego type) plug the wound until I got to the hospital. Where I could spend all my cash on the best surgeon I could afford.

Look, idk. Dude just needs to make a decision. I'm tired of refreshing google.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
It's getting a little silly with the analogies, isn't it? FA'cy defines overpaying to begin with. That's why teams build through the draft. That's why Pace's approach of not going crazy is a good thing.....right? The Bears have a lot of money to spend because they have been smart, which makes all these points ridiculous.