Akiem Hicks

Danny Albuquerque

Liked Posts:
The classic BPA argument rears its head. Somehow the number 15-20 ranked prospect will magically be the BPA with the #11 pick, right?

Its much more likely that WR will be the BPA, I'm sure u will be here defend Pace's honor if Treadwells the pick, right???

In my post, I specifically said "if he is deemed BPA". Learn to read the entirety and who in there right mind poo-poohs BPA (even if it's a cliche)?! I'm not a draft scout, but IF he looks to be BPA, go for it. If Treadwell or the OLB from Notre Dame are considered BPA, even after their issues, go for them.

You want to increase the depth and talent pool of the team to such a degree, that you are eventually unable to pay some of them and have a fantastic, young rotational guy you feel will leave you with little/no drop off. Last I read (from the experts), DL is loaded in this draft.

Different story is if you have your BPA, and you feel you can get him a few spots later, then of course take the extra pick/s and drop down.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And what about the 60-70% of the time the Bears are in the nickel? Only 2 of those guys are going to be on the field most of the time. Be nice to be dominant against the run (on paper only mind you), but Green Bay will just go 4-wide and not hand the ball to Lacy's fat ass. If the Bears do get Hicks, I'd like to go for one of the smaller upfield types of DT/DEs, like Ward, Rankins, Jones rather than another 320lb guy.

You need a rotation, big men get tired.

Danny Albuquerque

Liked Posts:
Goldman is 336 and is a very nice pass rusher.

Agreed. When they go to 4 Down Lineman, they still need two guys in the middle. Having three stud big guys is not a problem. Players get hurt, players get tired. There are plenty of snaps of all of them. In baseball, people get all shook up about an OF rotation--there are 2200 ABs or so, plenty for 4 guys to have 500+ each. And again, players get hurt, players have their strengths/weaknesses and they get tired.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
In my post, I specifically said "if he is deemed BPA". Learn to read the entirety and who in there right mind poo-poohs BPA (even if it's a cliche)?! I'm not a draft scout, but IF he looks to be BPA, go for it. If Treadwell or the OLB from Notre Dame are considered BPA, even after their issues, go for them.

You want to increase the depth and talent pool of the team to such a degree, that you are eventually unable to pay some of them and have a fantastic, young rotational guy you feel will leave you with little/no drop off. Last I read (from the experts), DL is loaded in this draft.

Different story is if you have your BPA, and you feel you can get him a few spots later, then of course take the extra pick/s and drop down.

I read you just fine. BPA is often thrown around as the golden ticket to sound drafting as if position and need are meaningless. Just a lazy and simplistic way of arguing a point.

Its a reasonable theory to always take the BPA on the board but its not a law. There are other factors that must be considered such as when you just sign a high priced FA QB, you dont draft another one in the 1st round just because he's BPA. You trade down or take another position of need.

Danny Albuquerque

Liked Posts:
I read you just fine. BPA is often thrown around as the golden ticket to sound drafting as if position and need are meaningless. Just a lazy and simplistic way of arguing a point.

Its a reasonable theory to always take the BPA on the board but its not a law. There are other factors that must be considered such as when you just sign a high priced FA QB, you dont draft another one in the 1st round just because he's BPA. You trade down or take another position of need.

If it's not close (in terms of value), no you don't. I get you on the QB (and you trade down, if there isn't a similarly scored player), but Hicks would not fit that scenario. A QB is somewhat unique, because your backup doesn't get to play unless shit's hit the fan or it's garbage time. For most other positions, you have either regular rotations or a multitude of packages that require different skill-sets.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
What am I missing on Rankins? After all the Senior Bowl hype I took a look at him, and was so unimpressed I couldn't believe he's even mentioned as a first round pick, let alone a potential top 10. His tape is nowhere near as good as his Senior Bowl was. The Aaron Donald comp some have made is laughable.

This is where I'm at on him also. He definitely has upside but his tape pales in comparison to Billings.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
If it's not close (in terms of value), no you don't. I get you on the QB (and you trade down, if there isn't a similarly scored player), but Hicks would not fit that scenario. A QB is somewhat unique, because your backup doesn't get to play unless shit's hit the fan or it's garbage time. For most other positions, you have either regular rotations or a multitude of packages that require different skill-sets.

With Hicks added to Ego and Goldman, thats enough money and recent high draft picks invested into the Dline of a 3-4. OLB/CB are premium positions on the defense as well as OT that need attention. Building a team is more complex than simply sticking to a rigid philosophy.

If Hicks arrives on a one year deal my opinion will change but there are too many holes on the team to just draft a rotational backup with #11.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
To be honest im not that high on A'shawn to begin with, if we are talking about Buckner a true top 10 falling to us my argument probably changes.

Danny Albuquerque

Liked Posts:
With Hicks added to Ego and Goldman, thats enough money and recent high draft picks invested into the Dline of a 3-4. OLB/CB are premium positions on the defense as well as OT that need attention. Building a team is more complex than simply sticking to a rigid philosophy.

If Hicks arrives on a one year deal my opinion will change but there are too many holes on the team to just draft a rotational backup with #11.

Ego hasn't really done anything to stop you from taking a clear improvement. So far, he's just a guy. If the value is close, of course he would take edge, corner, wr, etc, but he's not a special player. Goldman might be. Hicks is nice. Ego is quite a few tiers below them in impact. Above that, no GM should be married to old picks for their sake. Giving Shea all the shots he got was embarrassing. If he is the 3rd ILB, that signals a problem in my mind. Giving a high draft pick or high priced FA snaps is one thing, but devoting big positions to them, regardless of performance, is lunacy! Again, yes I realize QB is an exception. If your team sucks donkey balls, then of course it's the way to go (their backups are likely worse). Winning franchises don't operate like that.

With all that said, Pace really needs to hit on this draft and hope that White plays well enough to be worthy of at least top 3 receiver (on the team). If not, all of these smart signings will only propel them to middling.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
unnamed.0.gif

Couple this type of motor with his nasty closing burst behind the LOS and you have something worth coaching. It also wouldn't hurt to have the Strongest man in the state of Texas within your front 7.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Ego hasn't really done anything to stop you from taking a clear improvement. So far, he's just a guy. If the value is close, of course he would take edge, corner, wr, etc, but he's not a special player. Goldman might be. Hicks is nice. Ego is quite a few tiers below them in impact. Above that, no GM should be married to old picks for their sake. Giving Shea all the shots he got was embarrassing. If he is the 3rd ILB, that signals a problem in my mind. Giving a high draft pick or high priced FA snaps is one thing, but devoting big positions to them, regardless of performance, is lunacy! Again, yes I realize QB is an exception. If your team sucks donkey balls, then of course it's the way to go (their backups are likely worse). Winning franchises don't operate like that.

With all that said, Pace really needs to hit on this draft and hope that White plays well enough to be worthy of at least top 3 receiver (on the team). If not, all of these smart signings will only propel them to middling.

I actually think Ego was doing well prior to injury and you have to give players time to develop especially when changing schemes. Shea was just a mistake compounded by bad coaching.

The later rounds definitely require a stricter BPA approach but early round picks should be able to start day one so BPA may not apply or be as restrictive.

Im definitely excited to see Paces selections and think he's doing well so far no matter what his actual philosophy is.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Goldman is 336 and is a very nice pass rusher.
Goldman is fine. 0 problems with him. But we've seen this team with Goldman as the best/primary interior pass rusher....and it's not good. I don't have a problem with Hicks either. He does have a 4.5 sack season under his belt and a solid 3 last year with limited snaps. My problem is a 3rd guy similar to them. And Robinson is not as good a pass rusher as the other 2. I don't want that as our best 3 interior pass rushers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
A'Shawn would be a terrible #11 pick. Just take Vernon Butler in round two if you want a NT.
Plenty of needs to go around so why reach?

A'Shawn would not be a terrible pick. Now i can agree that we can get a legit d-lineman in the 2nd round but putting A'Shawn next to Goldman wouldn't be a bad idea. If we sign Hicks today we won't be going d-line in the 1st and maybe not even in the 2nd but i'm sure they'd still spend a pick on one somewhere in the draft.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am not saying that Robinson needs to be the pick, but Hicks is not enough to add on the DL.

They need another starter.

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
[video=youtube_share;Jwn99NkXljc]https://youtu.be/Jwn99NkXljc[/video]

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

It's BPA at the needed position.