Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
that dallas/charlotte trade jumps out at me as being a huge win for charlotte. PJ washington for Grant Williams, Seth Curry, AND a protected first rounder
Heck of a deal for PJ Washington...I'd say Charlotte definitely wins that one, even if Seth Curry doesn't really give them anything they need right now

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Heck of a deal for PJ Washington...I'd say Charlotte definitely wins that one, even if Seth Curry doesn't really give them anything they need right now
apparently, dallas was determined to trade grant williams. he switched his shoes from Luka's brand to Jayson Tatum's brand of shoe. Apparently, that rubbed dallas' players and organization the wrong way. Imagine being that soft to where what brand of shoes a teammate wears bothering you.

Luka is a soft lil whiny bitch tbh...amazing talent though, but soft ass makeup upstairs

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Sorry but the LED floor is ugly and distracting. It makes watching unbearable and almost nauseating. How bad tonight was overall may have played a part in that too. I was hoping Sabrina beat Steph, but that was the only thing i found interesting.

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Every year so many people complain about All Star weekend, but honestly, I didn't think the Saturday events were that bad. 3pt contest was great, both the regular one and the Sabrina vs Stephen one. Dunk contest was decent (Mac really backpacking here, but it wasn't "lame" like others have been imo). They added enough gimmicks in the celeb game to make that mildly interesting too (I know most people hate this event and don't even watch as it's typically objectively bad basketball so fairly low bar here).

Lot of complaints about the court also, but that's highly subjective too. If you hated the in season tournament courts, there's no way you'll think differently about the LED court. From a technology perspective, it's pretty cool. I'm fairly indifferent about the fact that the court is different colors myself but I get why others hate it. If you're prone to motion sickness or similar, the LED court is likely abhorrent.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Didn’t watch but I’d be shocked if any professional all-star event is anything other than dog shit.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Didn’t watch but I’d be shocked if any professional all-star event is anything other than dog shit.
MLB has the best all star break IMO

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Idk if there's any way to make a mid season exhibition game that doesn't mean anything in any way more competitive. Like...what incentive do any players have to actually compete like the general public wants?

Frankly, in years past (ie pre 2010s) I'm surprised there was any defense at all, but I guess players disliked each other more then or something idk

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Idk if there's any way to make a mid season exhibition game that doesn't mean anything in any way more competitive. Like...what incentive do any players have to actually compete like the general public wants?

Frankly, in years past (ie pre 2010s) I'm surprised there was any defense at all, but I guess players disliked each other more then or something idk
soft ass generation...no fixing it.

its wild that expecting people to compete in competitive sports is such a challenge these days. maybe sending some of these guys to work at mcdonalds for a month will have them coming back with a lil more competitive fire and appreciation for their current circumstances(it wont im sure)

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
soft ass generation...no fixing it.

its wild that expecting people to compete in competitive sports is such a challenge these days. maybe sending some of these guys to work at mcdonalds for a month will have them coming back with a lil more competitive fire and appreciation for their current circumstances(it wont im sure)
Half the league (probably more) comes from a low income background, I'm sure plenty have worked some random job just to have enough money to try to afford shoes

These guys (generally) try during all the other games they play during the year, just not the All Star game. It's the same to me in the NFL with the Pro Bowl, like why bother risking injury in a meaningless game (from the player perspective)?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's my suggestion anyway, screw all star weekend, just do the In Season Tournament instead in the same date range, give all the teams a few days break to keep that part consistent. Unlike the All Star Game, there's incentive of some sort for the In Season Tournament, the league can still attempt to monetize the crap out of it to the point where our eyes bleed (they're already doing that).

They can still vote on All Stars I guess, for incentive purposes or something, but nuke all the events. The fans hate them, the players apparently hate them, so just replace it.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
That Steph and Sabrina thing was interesting.

How about:

WNBA All-Stars vs FIBA U16 USA Boys team?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Here's my suggestion anyway, screw all star weekend, just do the In Season Tournament instead in the same date range, give all the teams a few days break to keep that part consistent. Unlike the All Star Game, there's incentive of some sort for the In Season Tournament, the league can still attempt to monetize the crap out of it to the point where our eyes bleed (they're already doing that).

They can still vote on All Stars I guess, for incentive purposes or something, but nuke all the events. The fans hate them, the players apparently hate them, so just replace it.
whats the incentive for the play in tourney that isnt there for the all star game? doesnt the winner all star team get a financial bonus?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
whats the incentive for the play in tourney that isnt there for the all star game? doesnt the winner all star team get a financial bonus?
To my knowledge the ASG is just donating money to charity, but maybe I'm wrong and there is some other individual financial thing for the winning team. There's definitely financial incentive for the tournament (the In Season Tournament that is, not the play in) which is pretty negligible for the All Stars on the team, but rather significant for the role players, or at least whoever is making less than the MLE.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
To my knowledge the ASG is just donating money to charity, but maybe I'm wrong and there is some other individual financial thing for the winning team. There's definitely financial incentive for the tournament (the In Season Tournament that is, not the play in) which is pretty negligible for the All Stars on the team, but rather significant for the role players, or at least whoever is making less than the MLE.
exactly...money is their only motivator and even that isnt enough sometimes. the NBA has become a joke of a league IMO

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
exactly...money is their only motivator and even that isnt enough sometimes. the NBA has become a joke of a league IMO
Blame the TV deals I guess, the salaries have exploded to insane levels. Players can lose out on money for not making All NBA or All Star or whatever, but there's no punishment for losing the All Star game or not putting up a particular amount of stats.

For reference for the In Season Tournament the reward is
Every player on the roster for the champion of the in-season tournament will receive a $500K bonus. Reach the champion game and lose? That's a $200K bonus. Players get $100K for reaching for the semifinals, and $50K for reaching the quarterfinals

So naturally for an All Star player (ie probably a max contract), that money is nothing to you. But for your bench guys, that's not that small a sum if you win it all. Theoretically your All Stars aren't playing to win that money for themselves, but so their teammates can get it.

By contrast for All Star Game if your team wins each player gets 100k (50k prior to 2018), losing team gets 25k (so I was wrong on that earlier, at least if I am to believe the article I found), plus winning team gets 240k for whatever charity they're playing for. Apparently State Farm also donated $1900 for every assist to some other charity/social impact type thing.

Idk what the answer is for this, but to me, if you (general you, not necessarily Knox) really hate the NBA product that much, just stop watching it. Go do something else with your time. Support the WNBA, go watch some other sport, watch college basketball instead. Nothing sends a message better than affecting their profits, so if everyone who complains about how this is the worst era of basketball and the league sucks and all that just stopped supporting the NBA entirely, something would change.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Blame the TV deals I guess, the salaries have exploded to insane levels. Players can lose out on money for not making All NBA or All Star or whatever, but there's no punishment for losing the All Star game or not putting up a particular amount of stats.

For reference for the In Season Tournament the reward is
Every player on the roster for the champion of the in-season tournament will receive a $500K bonus. Reach the champion game and lose? That's a $200K bonus. Players get $100K for reaching for the semifinals, and $50K for reaching the quarterfinals

So naturally for an All Star player (ie probably a max contract), that money is nothing to you. But for your bench guys, that's not that small a sum if you win it all. Theoretically your All Stars aren't playing to win that money for themselves, but so their teammates can get it.

By contrast for All Star Game if your team wins each player gets 100k (50k prior to 2018), losing team gets 25k (so I was wrong on that earlier, at least if I am to believe the article I found), plus winning team gets 240k for whatever charity they're playing for. Apparently State Farm also donated $1900 for every assist to some other charity/social impact type thing.

Idk what the answer is for this, but to me, if you (general you, not necessarily Knox) really hate the NBA product that much, just stop watching it. Go do something else with your time. Support the WNBA, go watch some other sport, watch college basketball instead. Nothing sends a message better than affecting their profits, so if everyone who complains about how this is the worst era of basketball and the league sucks and all that just stopped supporting the NBA entirely, something would change.
i imagine ratings are on the decline...i have not looked it up to verify this, but that would be my hunch

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i imagine ratings are on the decline...i have not looked it up to verify this, but that would be my hunch
Seems not, if these sources are trustworthy

Now it is worth noting that compared to the "pre-streaming era" as it were, TV viewership ratings are down across the board, so I'm sure if you compare last year's Finals to like the 2003 Finals, the numbers will be way different. The ones I found above seem to compare to last year or at least within the last few years only. Here's a reddit thread about this same topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/146ekw8

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Something an old fart once told me.

Boys like basketball(unless it's too cold to play wherever they live, then they like hockey), they grow up.
Men who like sex are busy working to pay child support.
Men who are tired of women watch football.
Old men watch football and if they married a nag, they watch baseball too.

Guess who watches the NBA? Not as many Americans, but damn do kids still love it and somewhere in Sri Lanka there's a kid trying to dunk over cows on a wicker hoop.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Seems not, if these sources are trustworthy

Now it is worth noting that compared to the "pre-streaming era" as it were, TV viewership ratings are down across the board, so I'm sure if you compare last year's Finals to like the 2003 Finals, the numbers will be way different. The ones I found above seem to compare to last year or at least within the last few years only. Here's a reddit thread about this same topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/146ekw8
well, that settles it then! Adam Silver is complaining about nothing! Those that watched the atrocious all star game is up 20% from last year