Around the NBA (Non-Bulls) Thread - 2023-2024 Season

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Agreed. I pretty much but the brakes on NBA entertainment a few years ago. Nothing to do with winning or losing but the rule changes that someone above brought up. Uncontested dunks and layups, no one takes a charge (wouldn't get the call if they did) and a barrage of 3 point shots that did nothing more than cheapen one of the best additions to NBA play back in the 80's. These crazy rules haven't improved the game at all...it's turned league games into All-Star shoot outs.
I also don’t think it helps that players change teams so often now too…hard to build and establish rivalries like it was back in the day. That’s just part of it though…there’s a lot of reasons the NBA sucks now. Can’t see it ever getting better or having the same appeal as back in the day. It will only get worse.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Well...those mid 2000s days were pretty rough to watch, ain't gonna lie.

They were.

Illegal Offense and general rule tolerances are one thing, just remember, we saw ball material changes, the finishes on the flooring, shoe-tops going from above the ankle to below, and the stupid sponsorships that forced the best players to wear new shoes every game, sometimes multiple pairs.
Tim Donaghy did his whole expose, the refs started to exacerbate make-up calls and go blind both-ways when they were too late. The NBRA went through a whole shockwave that forced more inexperienced refs into the mix and pushed more experienced refs to work more than they should have. That's also partially while teams started poaching refs, ala Mark Cuban and Dan Gilbert to exploit the rules. Because the NBA or RA couldn't protect them.

Injury spikes are bothersome, but the rule changes claimed to protect them are not as big of a factor. It's the same arguments.

Crawford helicoptering over Hoiberg, that was a foul in any era.
Made-of-Glass player lists, the rules didn't hurt them. T-Mac, Greg Oden, Grant Hill, etc.
DRose Adidas vs Thibs vs landing on two feet argument all over again for most.
Bogut was due to his own teammate going over-the back which pushed JR Smith forward and out of control... so rules were there, Refs didn't call them. Not the one where Stat runs into Bogut while hanging on the rim.

Now there are a few rule changes(interpretations and call frequency/tollerance) to reduce injuries that I agree with.
-Stockton trips aren't tollerated AT ALL now. Try to Stockton trip a player, you're going to get suspended if your acting skills arent A++++.
-Fingernail codes and pre-game inspections.
-Blindly calling charges. The league had to go through a few updates before getting this righhhhh, erm----miles better.
-2 step in and outs. Skirting 3-seconds. That's one PART of the 3 second that is called right now, sadly that's only because they allow so many set-players to live by the arc.
-Zone. Zone. Zone. The old zone rules mean you have to switch in traffic, so many stupid injuries. Although I would like to see *some* more zone restrictions, because that's contributing to players having a shit ton more wind to run the floor and just shoot all these 3s. So for injuries, good, for the game itself, it's going to be more 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last 24 hours of trading as the deadline is tomorrow. Here's the last minute deals thus far

Pistons receive:

• Simone Fontecchio
Jazz receive:

• Kevin Knox
  • 2024 second-round pick
  • Gabriele Procida
and separately

Celtics receive:

• Xavier Tillman
Grizzlies receive:

• 2027 second-round pick (via Hawks)
  • 2030 second-round pick (via Mavs)

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Last 24 hours of trading as the deadline is tomorrow. Here's the last minute deals thus far

Pistons receive:

• Simone Fontecchio
Jazz receive:

• Kevin Knox
  • 2024 second-round pick
  • Gabriele Procida
and separately

Celtics receive:

• Xavier Tillman
Grizzlies receive:

• 2027 second-round pick (via Hawks)
  • 2030 second-round pick (via Mavs)
Celtics are loading up to make a run...making sure they have enough depth at all positions to withstand potential injuries

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
We all griped about how conservative GarPax were but AKME are something else entirely. They simply will not make a move.

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well all griped about how conservative GarPax were but AKME are something else entirely. They simply will not make a move.
They made a deadline trade once, saw the results and said NEVER AGAIN

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly i really believe that. Other than S&T's have they made another trade?
Technically, yes. The trading of Lauri to the Cavs (we got DJJ, the Portland 1st and a 2023 2nd rounder from that) and trading 2 future 2nds to get into this past draft for Julian Phillips.

Edit: here are all the trades from the AKME era (April 2020-present)
-March 2021 Trade Chandler Hutchison and Daniel Gafford to Washington, Luke Kornet to Boston for Daniel Theis, Javonte Green, and Troy Brown Jr. As part of the 3 team deal Mo Wagner was traded from Washington to Boston also
-March 2021 Trade WCJ, OPJ, 2 1sts to Orlando for Vucevic, Al-Farouq Aminu
-August 2021 As part of S&T for Lonzo Ball, traded Garrett Temple, Tomas Satoransky and 2024 2nd round pick to NOP
-August 2021 As part of S&T for Demar Derozan, traded Al-Farouq Aminu, Thaddeus Young, 2025 1st, 2022 2nd, 2025 2nd to SAS
-August 2021 Traded Lauri Markkanen to CLE, CLE traded Larry Nance Jr to POR, POR traded DJJ, 2022 1st, 2023 2nd to CHI
-August 2021 Traded Daniel Theis to HOU for cash
-June 2023 Traded 2026 2nd and 2027 2nd to WAS for Julian Phillips

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
that dallas/charlotte trade jumps out at me as being a huge win for charlotte. PJ washington for Grant Williams, Seth Curry, AND a protected first rounder