Article: Whatever happens, the Bears must keep Cutler

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Problem is they don't have any options or answers to offer. That would mean the possibility of being proven wrong should their suggested QB's not pan out. And we can't have that. The internet is serious business remember and they have precious internet reps to maintain. So instead it's better to just point to Wilson and Kaepernick and act like their 1 year of success now means finding franchise QB's is a gimme and any team can easily scoop one up with a mid round pick.

To them they don't need to have any answers since it's so easy to get franchise QB's now. Just cut Cutler and draft whatever QB you want! It's fool proof! Last years rookie success proved it's now a guaranteed lock we can just plug in whatever rookie we want and make the playoffs!

This. Fartan thinks kaep is fantastic and bearhick loves him some rg3. Thanks bitches.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
True. But I think if you add the caveats of Cutler performing at least at the level he has established over the last 3 years, and the contract is reasonable, than I think you can say the Bears pretty much have to pull the trigger - even if the coaches have committed to finding a replacement asap.

I'm not really sure how good of a thing that is.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Exactly what I expected from you.. Keep being predictable, it fits you like a glove!

tumblr_m1gq9u2rCN1qhc4rto1_500.gif

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
???? what? did I read that wrong? If Cutler improves his TD/Int ratio, basically keeps his mistakes to a minimum and stays healthy you don't see a point in keeping him?

Yes you read that wrong, I was saying if he doesn't improve his TD/Int ratio and can keep his mistakes to a minimum and stays healthy than I don't see a point in keeping him. If he can improve in all those areas than keep him and build on that improvement.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
It's gonna be nice to one day have a Qb, who doesn't apologists.

Since we're in the land of make-believe, it will be nice one day when fans no longer have the "run every quarterback out of town" syndrome.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree drafting QB's should be part of the plan. I just think it's completely unrealistic to think quality QB's are just laying around to be picked up. If the college's keep cranking out guys like RGIII, Wilson, and Luck every year then I'm wrong, it was the start of a trend I didn't recognize. If this isn't a trend, and I'm right, the Bears are up a creek without Cutler. I would just like to hear one slightly realistic option before letting Jay get away.

In the past 3 years here are the QB's that were drafted in the first 4 rounds:

2013 - EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, Landy Jones.
2012 - Andrew Luck, RG3, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins
2011 - Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallett

The bolded names are all starters for their teams, the names I italicized have stepped in and either started or played when the starter went down with injury. I didn't include the 2013 draft picks on the starter list because we don't know, but if I had to guess EJ Manuel may end up being the day 1 starter, Smith and Glennon could potentially be the starters by the end of the year and Landy Jones may see some time for injury relief.

Of the ones bolded Weeden, Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker are the worse of the bunch...and Ponder still led his team to the playoffs. Foles and Cousins have shown promise in the time that they have played.

QB's can be found, you are going to get some guys who aren't that great, you are going to get some guys who can get the job done and be average to maybe even a solid QB, and if we can get lucky we can snag a franchise QB. Point being if our front office sticks with the mentality of there is no one better out there and not take a shot at a QB then we won't ever know who we can get.

I was all for drafting a QB this past year, so we can have that back up plan if Cutler doesn't improve or even regresses. Since we didn't draft a QB, there is no point in handcuffing us to a player who just isn't improving on his weaknesses and taking us to the next level. I'm not saying we are guaranteed to find that QB to take us to the next level in the draft...but if we can get someone who can give us similar production for a lot less than what Cutler would cost than why not?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I look at the whole thing like this:

Cutler, by the numbers, is still the best QB the Bears have ever had since Sid Luckman, and a few more years with the team, he'll break those records too.

Is he perfect? No, hardly. But talent-wise, he has everything a person could want - a prototypical QB. The questions are his mechanics and decision-making, and being real, its really just decision-making, because no one is going to give a shit about how you get a ball somewhere as long as you get it there.

Anyone with eyes and has payed attention to the team when Cutler plays knows he plays his best when he has blocking up front, and his receivers are making grabs and moving the chains. Seriously, that should be a no-brainer because football is a team sport - no one can do it all themselves.

However, when his supporting cast goes south, his line starts falling apart, receivers are dropping routine balls, etc - thats when Jay goes into "bad decision mode" and tries to win the game all by himself, usually leading to that rash of poor decisions that ends up screwing the team.

When you look at it like that, you realize its all mental. Thing is, Jay can throw a pick and bounce back. He's done it before. Where he really gets fucked up in the head is when he gets no protection. It ends up affecting him the whole game. Not just one bad play, but when he's on his heels for an entire series.

What this also means is with the attention paid to getting him real line help this year (in the form of players and coaches), and giving him weapons to use, we might finally see Cutler with a higher floor than years past, as the pressure to win it all by himself hopefully won't rear its ugly head.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I look at the whole thing like this:

Cutler, by the numbers, is still the best QB the Bears have ever had since Sid Luckman, and a few more years with the team, he'll break those records too.

Is he perfect? No, hardly. But talent-wise, he has everything a person could want - a prototypical QB. The questions are his mechanics and decision-making, and being real, its really just decision-making, because no one is going to give a shit about how you get a ball somewhere as long as you get it there.

Anyone with eyes and has payed attention to the team when Cutler plays knows he plays his best when he has blocking up front, and his receivers are making grabs and moving the chains. Seriously, that should be a no-brainer because football is a team sport - no one can do it all themselves.

However, when his supporting cast goes south, his line starts falling apart, receivers are dropping routine balls, etc - thats when Jay goes into "bad decision mode" and tries to win the game all by himself, usually leading to that rash of poor decisions that ends up screwing the team.

When you look at it like that, you realize its all mental. Thing is, Jay can throw a pick and bounce back. He's done it before. Where he really gets fucked up in the head is when he gets no protection. It ends up affecting him the whole game. Not just one bad play, but when he's on his heels for an entire series.

What this also means is with the attention paid to getting him real line help this year (in the form of players and coaches), and giving him weapons to use, we might finally see Cutler with a higher floor than years past, as the pressure to win it all by himself hopefully won't rear its ugly head.

Strong start to a discussion when the logic behind keeping Cutler is him breaking WWII era passing records.

Does this and should this really matter?

Good analysis of Cutler. He plays his best when protected and his WR's are catching the football. Good to know because that's basically true of any QB that ever played a game of football, ever.

Now I know why you stick to off subject posts. Your on topic posts suck even more.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Strong start to a discussion when the logic behind keeping Cutler is him breaking WWII era passing records.

Does this and should this really matter?

Good analysis of Cutler. He plays his best when protected and his WR's are catching the football. Good to know because that's basically true of any QB that ever played a game of football, ever.

Now I know why you stick to off subject posts. Your on topic posts suck even more.

Nice try at trolling. Actually, not really. I've shit better trolls than you.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Amazingly, while Jay Cutler and the Bears were once again watching the postseason on TV, 6 of those QBs were starting in the postseason.

I think the very real problem now is that the Bears have already missed out on this cycle's bumper crop of QBs, so now they will have to wait a few years before the next batch of good QBs come around.

Technically only 5 were starting for their teams in the post season....had Ponder not been injured he would have been the starter for Minnesota in the playoffs. But the point still stands that 6 of those QB's led their team to the playoffs and all were either rookies or second year players.

I think we may have a dry spell in terms of highend QB's in the draft, but I still feel we can draft someone who can give us similar production. He may not be a worldbeater but be good enough to keep defenses honest and keep the mistakes down.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Technically only 5 were starting for their teams in the post season....had Ponder not been injured he would have been the starter for Minnesota in the playoffs. But the point still stands that 6 of those QB's led their team to the playoffs and all were either rookies or second year players.

I think we may have a dry spell in terms of highend QB's in the draft, but I still feel we can draft someone who can give us similar production. He may not be a worldbeater but be good enough to keep defenses honest and keep the mistakes down.
russellwilson-600x417.jpg

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

He is a prime example of a solid QB who keeps defenses honest and mistakes to a minimum

I have a small man-crush on him, mainly because he is from my hometown. But I think there are more and more QB's coming into the NFL that are more prepared and can step into starting roles than what the NFL used to be.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Damn, its getting sticky in here from all the reacharounds going on from the trolls.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Damn, its getting sticky in here from all the reacharounds going on from the trolls.

its a good thing you are here to contribute with some valuable insight. tell us again how invaluable Cutler is because he is coming close to breaking the Bears incredible passing records.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
its a good thing you are here to contribute with some valuable insight. tell us again how invaluable Cutler is because he is coming close to breaking the Bears incredible passing records.

Well, I did try to contribute, only for you and the 2 trolls to rip it and then give each other backslaps over how clever you think you are when really, all you guys are doing are bonding over ripping a poster and contributing nothing to the thread.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Of course, knowing you guys, you'll come up with some lame excuse why thats ok, as you guys tend to want it as you also go:

"both ways"

Not that there's anything wrong with that /Seinfeld

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, I did try to contribute, only for you and the 2 trolls to rip it and then give each other backslaps over how clever you think you are when really, all you guys are doing are bonding over ripping a poster and contributing nothing to the thread.

True.

It just sucked. For someone who sits back and judges other posts so much I expected more quality and some actual insight, not that Cutler might break records set before the Korean War or that he plays well when he has good blocking and his WR's catch.

I was more hopeful you were holding out some awesome thoughts from us but I was disappointed to find out you weren't and are basically worthless as a member of this board.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Sorry I must have missed your contribution with your posts talking about other posters dicks, the off-topic discussion of Bennett vs Knox, your amazing revelation that whena QB has good WR and time to throw he has his best games, and how Cutlers "being the best QB since Sid Luckman" should justify signing him no matter what. My bads Vash, i'll do a better job of sifting through your posts to find a good one to give you a backslap.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry I must have missed your contribution with your posts talking about other posters dicks, the off-topic discussion of Bennett vs Knox, your amazing revelation that whena QB has good WR and time to throw he has his best games, and how Cutlers "being the best QB since Sid Luckman" should justify signing him no matter what. My bads Vash, i'll do a better job of sifting through your posts to find a good one to give you a backslap.
I'd prefer to just keep front slapping him