B-Hawks 2023-2024 Season Thread of Bedard

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is painful to watch. They certainly are the worst passing team in the NHL right now...they may be the worst passing team I have ever seen. Just count the bad passes they make every shift and no one's immune to it. Even the kid...anyone ever see him use a saucer pass? You can get away without using one where he was playing before...very, very few wide open slots to throw the puck in the NHL. Passing is an intergal part of being skilled, without it...you negate even the best shooter or skater.

Last edited:

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
Reichel gave away the puck in ot and losing possession in ot can really screw you. All the time ticks away trying to get puck back. I'm no hockey expert but I can see how bad Reichel really is. Unfortunate draft pick.

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
I do get tired of announcers saying "nothing ______could do about that one." I believe a good goalie stops those shots in the shootout. I mean...3 shots...3 goals? Goalie is one of many positions Hawks need to upgrade. How bad would Hawks be without Bedard? 7-16-1 is not good and I don't see many others who can light the lamp.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Reichel gave away the puck in ot and losing possession in ot can really screw you. All the time ticks away trying to get puck back. I'm no hockey expert but I can see how bad Reichel really is. Unfortunate draft pick.
Yeah he's been bad. Korchinski has looked horrific too, looks like a deer in headlights in his own zone.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I do get tired of announcers saying "nothing ______could do about that one." I believe a good goalie stops those shots in the shootout. I mean...3 shots...3 goals? Goalie is one of many positions Hawks need to upgrade. How bad would Hawks be without Bedard? 7-16-1 is not good and I don't see many others who can light the lamp.
This year so far is not that different than 2006, to be honest.

A couple of budding stars, a couple of rookies who may or may not develop into their projections but right now are very Meh., and a bunch of has-been and never-will-be players with an occasional diamond in the rough vet who we might want to keep, as well as some high-priced vets not living up to their contracts. The rest is, "why bother with them long-term?"

Rebuilds take time. We're effectively in Year 1 or 2--depending on who you ask. If KD does his job over the next few season some prospects should filter in as well as some established players gotten through trade or FA acquisitions to round out the roster.

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
Hawks have no offense. 3 goals is like crazy production....1 is more the norm.

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
1 shot on goal in 3rd period? My gawd. Hawks were under constant pressure and duress. The other team always has the puck. Mrazek played great...which is why Hawks won. Get some damn players. You lucked into Bedard....failed miserably w Reichel...grabbed a disturbed and dysfunctional vet in Perry..and what else? Nothing.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Miracle win. Luckily they got the power play goal. Beautiful feed. Great finish. Bedard wins first battle of the rookies.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hawks have no offense. 3 goals is like crazy production....1 is more the norm.
Right now the 'hawks are sitting at 2.40 GF/GP. Since the 2005 lockout this is the 2nd worst. 2006/7 was worse at 2.38. in that year only Havlat and Sharp broke 20 goals, and only Havlat and Vrbata broke 40 pnts. Aside from Caron's 1 game at .960 in net, Khabi was the best goalie at .902 and Lalime and Boucher were sub-.900. That team was "good" enough for 5th last in the league.

Looking at that year's roster--it is about the same as ours is currently in terms of overall quality. Neither Mrazek nor Soderblom are that much better/worse than Khabi/Lalime. Vlassic is still in training but looks promising. Up front we got Bedard and then it starts dropping off.

And that was effectively year 2 of the previous build. We're either year 1 or 2 depending on who you ask. Our youth still has to develop. Many of the old guys are fill-in slots (and losing Perry to douchebaggery and Hall to injury sucked). Very few players aside from the blue-chip prospects will fetch anything worthwhile on the trade market.

We can't expect much for awhile. Bedard doesn't have much to play with on the O side. Vlassic has no other D-support on the backend. Neither of our netminders bring a fractions of what Crawford brought.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Kane home opener tonight in Detroit
It's hard as hell to actually "come back" (i.e. keep playing) after any hip surgery. He got the less-crazy surgery, but still. It'll be interesting to see how long he lasts. I'm sure he feels like a million bucks now, but if he takes one weird/big hit or even makes one weird move, it won't be pretty to say the least.

I guess my point is, it wouldn't surprise me if this year is it for him. You never know of course, maybe he's one of the very rare that plays another 3-4 years, but I can't bet on it. I hope it works out for him, but I hope he achieves absolutely nothing with Detroit. Wouldn't have minded seeing him win with the Rangers, but not Detroit.