B-Hawks 2023-2024 Season Thread of Bedard

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not just "We probably won't grab Bedard", but you just have to look at Edmonton to see what a FWD-heavy roster does. I think getting Korch will start to pay some dividends in the next few years--especially if he's built some great chemistry with Allan in Seattle.

Ultimately, we won't know how good the trade is until after all of the pieces involved become established. Does Korch pan out to be a top pair D-man? What about Moore? Plus, we still have next year's TBL 1st rounder to acquire.

El Gato and Hagelstorm are both great players, but unless you have a generational talent waiting in the wings, D and G have to be filled out 1st, then C, then wingers.
When you're rebuilding from the ground up like Davidson is doing, you are looking for the best talent available. You cannot afford to build by position if there is better talent elsewhere...i.e. you don't go after a good dman when there is a "can't miss" top notch FW available. I'm guessing his plan is to garner as much talent as he can and go from there. Having Bedard doesn't change that....maybe alters the timeline a bit....but doesn't change the fact that the Hawks are in search of top talent at any position.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
When you're rebuilding from the ground up like Davidson is doing, you are looking for the best talent available. You cannot afford to build by position if there is better talent elsewhere...i.e. you don't go after a good dman when there is a "can't miss" top notch FW available. I'm guessing his plan is to garner as much talent as he can and go from there. Having Bedard doesn't change that....maybe alters the timeline a bit....but doesn't change the fact that the Hawks are in search of top talent at any position.
Sorry, all I see is a GM that wants complete credit if the hawks make the playoffs and win another cup. No more ties to Dale Tallon, he was on board with the Jones otrosity contract. See all the comments like "What advice will Taylor Hall give Bedard? You serious? They have not even met yet? Should be Patrick Kane.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You have to be mindful of development timeline--which is something Kyle from Chicago seems to grasp but Bowman the Beancounter didn't.

Defense and Goaltending take longer to develop than Centers and Wingers, and the more talent you have during the rebuild, the harder it'll be to get top-end draft picks (and the more you have to rely on lucking out on a deeper pick).

If you have a generational talent available, you always draft them--you can't be an idiot like that. If Bedard is available you take Bedard. However, in the echelon right below the can't-miss, a GM has to be a little savvy. They need to understand that if they draft a quick-development player, that player will develop quicker and contribute to winning earlier, meaning as time goes on drafting higher gets harder, so if the team does not have long-development players in the pipeline it gets harder to acquire those players via draft/development, and overpaying for them in the trade/FA markets. For an example of how to do it right? Look at the previous 'hawk build. For an example of how to do it wrong, look at the current Edmonton oilers. Keith and Seabrook were already established when Toews and Kane hit. Meanwhile, McDavid and Draisaitl have nothing to work with--the amount a solid D-corps will cost Edmonton is more than the cap hit they'll have available and they won't have the assets to pull in said D talent.

Besides, it is highly arguable that Dach was the BPA at #3 a few years back. The smart choice would have been Byram.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sorry, all I see is a GM that wants complete credit if the hawks make the playoffs and win another cup. No more ties to Dale Tallon, he was on board with the Jones otrosity contract. See all the comments like "What advice will Taylor Hall give Bedard? You serious? They have not even met yet? Should be Patrick Kane.
Sid,Geno and Letang will all finish their careers with Pittsburgh,Kopitar and Doughty will finish theirs's with LA,Ovie and Backstrom will retire as Capitols and I'd bet Stamkos,Kuch and Hedman all do the same in TB.........not a single cup winner will be allowed to finish theirs' in Chicago.

I thought the era would have meant more to the Org and the fan-base........I was wrong.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I wasn't commenting on the trade or the team,just the player and the season he had.

The trade saw a return that even a 'green-horn' GM couldn't pass up,two 1st's for Hagle at the start of the 21-22 season was unthinkable and it's still stellar seeing his progress.........especially considering the state of the team's rebuild as mentioned.

The team will be bad for a few more years.also as mentioned,which allows me to pursue other interests BUT the 'opiate of the masses',otherwise known as Connor Bedard will fill the seats,sell jerseys and keep em glued to the TV regardless of W's & L's..........I might even tune-in myself from time to time to see the phenom.
Some teams like the NYR have performed quicker rebuilds and have become competitive and others like NJ,Buffalo and Ott are about to reap the rewards of more long-term rebuilds. NJ's about there with the outstanding, young players they've drafted and Ott has it's stud D-men and centers so I guess they're a lock too. The Sens already had their #1 in 26yro Chabot and the outstanding 20yro Sanderson when they acquired 24yro Chychrun on D,and 23yro B Tkachuk,24yro Batherson and the 21yro German stallion Tim Stutzel,who just might be the best young player in the game.........yet they're assured nothing. The Sabres have outstanding,young forwrds Thompson,Tuch and Cozens and brilliant,young D-men Dahlin,Power and Quinn.........they're assured nothing also. The Sens and Sabres both have other promising youngsters too and solid vets like Skinner and Giroux but both still missed last year. How all three teams do going forward should be a preview of the Hawks' future if things go right.
Some teams started from scratch and became the cream of the crop immediately like cup winning LV or found themselves one OT game seven goal away from the WCF in their 2nd season like Seattle.........no long-term periods of suffering necessary.
Edmonton and Toronto both have multiple drafted forwards who might be as good or better than Bedard.........Edmonton and Toronto are yet to meet in the SCF.
Scorching the earth and bottom-feeding for YEARS is one way to go about it and adding good,young players to an already competitive team is another. I'll try to hang around to see how ours' works out(LOL) and rely on that 'opiate' till then I guess.

I just commented on the player and the misconception that Chicago only lost a 'role player' with a little 'grit',Brandon Hagle has a LOTTA 'grit' but he's also one of the better two-way forwards in the game and will continue to improve under Cooper's tutelage.
My previous post wasn't direct at anyone in particular, just a general statement.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Sid,Geno and Letang will all finish their careers with Pittsburgh,Kopitar and Doughty will finish theirs's with LA,Ovie and Backstrom will retire as Capitols and I'd bet Stamkos,Kuch and Hedman all do the same in TB.........not a single cup winner will be allowed to finish theirs' in Chicago.

I thought the era would have meant more to the Org and the fan-base........I was wrong.
I don't think moving Kane was indicative of any feeling or lack thereof for that particular era or that particular player. It needed to be done.

No one thinks of MJ as a Wizard. The same will go down with PK. And all those core guys, but especially PK.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think moving Kane was indicative of any feeling or lack thereof for that particular era or that particular player. It needed to be done.

No one thinks of MJ as a Wizard. The same will go down with PK. And all those core guys, but especially PK.
And realistically: Hossa never skated with the Yotes' sweater, Seabrook never skated with the Bolts' sweater, and Crawford never mnned the crease in the Devils' sweater.

If I was a betting man, I would say Toews retires as a Blackhawk and doesn't come back to hockey.

Plus, even though they got traded and came back, Sharp and Campbell retired as 'hawks.

Further, did Jagr retire as a Penguin (okay...technically he hasn't retired)? Gretz didn't retire as an Oiler, either.

I agree. it needed to be done. I wish it didn't have to be done, but it needed to be done.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Exactly, time moves on. Kaner didn't want to schlep around in a long rebuild and I can't blame him for that as the clock is ticking on his career. He's a smart kid, he knows how the front office game is played and I'm sure he knows the Blackhawks weren't just dumping him....they actually took a bit of a hit by trying to get him where he wanted to go.

It's professional sports....that's how it works.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The bolded is a matter of opinion,the pick was obviously more important than Kane's presence or mentorship to Prince Daniel or the backwards baseball cap wearin' Lil GM and that's okay. It's Danny's team now,he inherited it fair n square.......we referred to it as the 'Lucky sperm club' in the car biz when the kid took over.

Cleaning out the booth too had to be indicative of something,the new 'brain trust' of hockey knowledge......Danny,Jaime,Lil Kyle and the baseball guy had nothing to do with the team's past success and therefore had no respect for it. They publicly stated their desire to 'clear the decks' and did so.

The era,the success and the sacrifice that went along with it must have had a different impact to different fans and I've come to grips with that. There's a shiny,new toy now.

You're obviously not the only Hawk fan ready and willing to move-on and maybe I've just done more moving-on than most at my age but I'll never abide the treatment of accomplished franchise institutions by un-accomplished newcomers.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Exactly, time moves on. Kaner didn't want to schlep around in a long rebuild and I can't blame him for that as the clock is ticking on his career. He's a smart kid, he knows how the front office game is played and I'm sure he knows the Blackhawks weren't just dumping him....they actually took a bit of a hit by trying to get him where he wanted to go.

It's professional sports....that's how it works.
Telling both K&T that no offers were forthcoming wasn't dumping them? Giroux(same age) and Brisson(same agent) gave Philly only Fla as a destination the year before,yet Philly still got a 1st and a good,young forward in trade,they only took a hit because Kane was on one good wheel.

I've followed hockey and professional sports for almost 60 years and that's not always how it works. The Kings,Pens,Caps and Bruins will and have allowed most of their greats to finish their careers with their teams and TB will probably do the same but you're right............other great players weren't given the honor.

The team had their 'Hossa night' ,so they have their one necessary icon I guess but mark my words.......it'll be years before we see another........if ever. A LOT of dust would have to settle before we see Kane or Toews or Keith or Seabrook or Crawford have the stomach to return or the new 'brain trust' to have any interest in honoring the great cup winners.

The new era IS here because we won the sweepstakes but on-ice accountability will have to happen at some point and that point seems to be years off.

I respect yours and others opinions as far as moving-on and I'm moving-on too,if Danny and the Jrs put a successful squad together,I'll be happy to give them their accolades..........but NOT until.

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
Telling both K&T that no offers were forthcoming wasn't dumping them? Giroux(same age) and Brisson(same agent) gave Philly only Fla as a destination the year before,yet Philly still got a 1st and a good,young forward in trade,they only took a hit because Kane was on one good wheel.

I've followed hockey and professional sports for almost 60 years and that's not always how it works. The Kings,Pens,Caps and Bruins will and have allowed most of their greats to finish their careers with their teams and TB will probably do the same but you're right............other great players weren't given the honor.

The team had their 'Hossa night' ,so they have their one necessary icon I guess but mark my words.......it'll be years before we see another........if ever. A LOT of dust would have to settle before we see Kane or Toews or Keith or Seabrook or Crawford have the stomach to return or the new 'brain trust' to have any interest in honoring the great cup winners.

The new era IS here because we won the sweepstakes but on-ice accountability will have to happen at some point and that point seems to be years off.

I respect yours and others opinions as far as moving-on and I'm moving-on too,if Danny and the Jrs put a successful squad together,I'll be happy to give them their accolades..........but NOT until.
Even if Bedard is the best player in franchise history they might not win a cup again any time soon

Granada

Liked Posts:
The bolded is a matter of opinion,the pick was obviously more important than Kane's presence or mentorship to Prince Daniel or the backwards baseball cap wearin' Lil GM and that's okay. It's Danny's team now,he inherited it fair n square.......we referred to it as the 'Lucky sperm club' in the car biz when the kid took over.

Cleaning out the booth too had to be indicative of something,the new 'brain trust' of hockey knowledge......Danny,Jaime,Lil Kyle and the baseball guy had nothing to do with the team's past success and therefore had no respect for it. They publicly stated their desire to 'clear the decks' and did so.

The era,the success and the sacrifice that went along with it must have had a different impact to different fans and I've come to grips with that. There's a shiny,new toy now.

You're obviously not the only Hawk fan ready and willing to move-on and maybe I've just done more moving-on than most at my age but I'll never abide the treatment of accomplished franchise institutions by un-accomplished newcomers.
Well, the bolded here is also a matter of opinion. I just don't see how implementing a strategy that absolutely needed to happen (rebuild) is an indication that the front office didn't respect the team or its past successes. You can't just live in the past in general, let alone in sports. The rebuild absolutely needed to happen because this team wasn't even a playoff team anymore -- let alone a Cup team -- with core players that were very long-in-the-tooth, injury-ridden, or both. I guess you can call anything an "opinion," but I'd say that's a pretty well-established fact that's clearly based on evidence.

I'd say the strategy to rebuild was bred out of the acceptance of the reality of the situation, as opposed to a lack of respect for the past. All the core guys will be brought back to retire as Hawks just like Hossa was anyway. I don't know, I just don't see any disrespectful about their treatment and they'll always be known Hawks regardless, but maybe that's just me.

I'm fine with unaccomplished newcomers if they have a plan that produces results; especially when said plan is far, far better than the "experienced" predecessor's. Personally, I haven't had any problems with the majority of Davidson's moves. He's a breath of fresh air compared to Bowman, that's for sure.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, the bolded here is also a matter of opinion. I just don't see how implementing a strategy that absolutely needed to happen (rebuild) is an indication that the front office didn't respect the team or its past successes. You can't just live in the past in general, let alone in sports. The rebuild absolutely needed to happen because this team wasn't even a playoff team anymore -- let alone a Cup team -- with core players that were very long-in-the-tooth, injury-ridden, or both. I guess you can call anything an "opinion," but I'd say that's a pretty well-established fact that's clearly based on evidence.

I'd say the strategy to rebuild was bred out of the acceptance of the reality of the situation, as opposed to a lack of respect for the past. All the core guys will be brought back to retire as Hawks just like Hossa was anyway. I don't know, I just don't see any disrespectful about their treatment and they'll always be known Hawks regardless, but maybe that's just me.

I'm fine with unaccomplished newcomers if they have a plan that produces results; especially when said plan is far, far better than the "experienced" predecessor's. Personally, I haven't had any problems with the majority of Davidson's moves. He's a breath of fresh air compared to Bowman, that's for sure.
I had questions about Davidson from day one, but he's done what was needed to be done. He didn't pull a Reinsdorf/Krause by breaking up a championship team. This team has been in decline for awhile now. It was time to do something that a moron like Bowman refused to do. It's refreshing to think about some young players coming in here....more speed....more skill....just needing to learn the NHL game. The arrow is starting to aim up for this franchise. I'll take that anyday of the week than taking long walks down memory lane. People need to give it up....it was a great 10 years but it's OVER.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I had questions about Davidson from day one, but he's done what was needed to be done. He didn't pull a Reinsdorf/Krause by breaking up a championship team. This team has been in decline for awhile now. It was time to do something that a moron like Bowman refused to do. It's refreshing to think about some young players coming in here....more speed....more skill....just needing to learn the NHL game. The arrow is starting to aim up for this franchise. I'll take that anyday of the week than taking long walks down memory lane. People need to give it up....it was a great 10 years but it's OVER.
Now is the hard part. It's easy to follow a map. It was obvious what needed done. He executed the dump well enough. Debatable if he got enough for certain players or signings ect but overall he did enough right to luck into a luck bonus. So far it's been a video game and he's winning. Now though he's almost done too well. He's got premium gas in the tank and accelerated expectations. Anyone can tank just from incompetence, anyone can pick Bedard, now we have to see him actually build something. Something that lasts. That's the hard part of the game. Bedard isn't a cheat code and he now has less time to do it. I think he did really well in the draft to get other key pieces and brought in key vets but we don't know if anything has actually worked yet. He's still at the Bowman theoretical phase of winning on paper. Gonna be fun to find out because Bedard ramps up the 5 year rebuild to probably 3. Next draft is really going to be huge once they find out really what this team is missing.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Stupid paywall!
I don't think Bedard is gonna make the team if he keeps skipping practice to fuck around in Vegas.
I was able to read without the paywall which is not always the case but maybe my ad blocker is working overtime.