B-Hawks 2023-2024 Season Thread of Bedard

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Reichel-Bedard-Hall should put opponents a bit on their heels.

I think Bedard is as well protected as he can be between them due to fear of speed, teams won't cheat up or sacrifice position for physicality with any stakes on the line for fear of instant regret.
People did target Kane his rookie year, and young Kane had a good set of wheels on him too. One possible issue with any kid who is hyped is that they may lose themselves thinking that with said hype, everyone will respect them on the ice without them earing said respect (usually by beading guys why try to put themselves out of position for a hit). Even though Bedard seems to have a young Toews-like level of maturity, Toews was lit up by Willie Mitchell for not paying attention coming out of the penalty box. Guys like Tom Wilson (Hello McFly) would be salivating if the opportunity presented itself to knock him on his wallet. A little extra muscle certainly couldn't hurt.

Remember, Kyle from Chicago's job is to try an build a perennial contender, not just a one-and-done. It's a marathon, not a sprint. We can afford a few guys who are less skill more crash 'n bang at this point until a solid core is put together. Let's not forget that we kettisoned guys like Craig Adams, Tuomo Ruutu, Marty Havlat, Rene Borque, Wiz, Vandermeer, Marty Lapointe, Lang, Koci, etc. for better personnel. I think all of them had a lot to do with the protection/development of the previous core, but once the core established themselves it was time for better personnel. Same with guys like Hall and Perry.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A former number 1 like Hall to whisper to Bedard for at least 2/3rds of his first season is pretty brilliant.

Without an elite healthy duo goaltending I can't imagine us breaking out of the bottom 10 this year.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A former number 1 like Hall to whisper to Bedard for at least 2/3rds of his first season is pretty brilliant.

Without an elite healthy duo goaltending I can't imagine us breaking out of the bottom 10 this year.
True, there is no indication that the D will be any better this season, and last seasons D was so bad it would have taken a prime Tretiak to be in there play-off hunt.

Goaltending will come. We do have some intriguing prospects and keep in mind it took Crawford nearly 8 years from his draft day to being established as a #1. There's no need to spend money and term on an elite goaltender right now especially with a few guys like Bedard looking at a payday in 3 years. By that time ideally the goaltender of the future should be on their ELC when Bedard gets his payday.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
True, there is no indication that the D will be any better this season, and last seasons D was so bad it would have taken a prime Tretiak to be in there play-off hunt.

Goaltending will come. We do have some intriguing prospects and keep in mind it took Crawford nearly 8 years from his draft day to being established as a #1. There's no need to spend money and term on an elite goaltender right now especially with a few guys like Bedard looking at a payday in 3 years. By that time ideally the goaltender of the future should be on their ELC when Bedard gets his payday.
shopping.jpeg

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
EIGHT THOUSAND VIEWS... Congrats @HeHateMe
Honestly, if the mods are still against new threads in this forum, they should just make this thread the whole forum and merge all the other threads in here. Nobody reads that CHIT from Martini anyways.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently he's half the player that mathews is.

Hustle and Determination Award - Brandon Hagel
After being acquired via trade during the 2021-22 season, Brandon Hagel was nothing short of spectacular in his first full season with Tampa Bay in 2022-23.

The 24-year-old winger brought a combination of speed and tenacity, earning the admiration of Lightning fans by giving second, third and fourth efforts while never quitting on a play.

Skating in 81 games during the regular season, Hagel recorded 92 takeaways, the second-highest total among all NHL skaters, trailing only Toronto's Mitch Marner, who finished the year with 104. And while Marner recorded 12 more total takeaways than Hagel, he also averaged an additional 2:38 time on ice per game. Looking at takeaways per 60 minutes, Hagel finished the year with a 3.65 average, the second-highest total behind Marner, who averaged .01 more at 3.66.

The NHL first began tracking takeaways during the 2005-06 season, right as Lightning Hall of Famer Martin St. Louis was entering the prime years of his career. Looking over the all-time single-season takeaway leaders in Tampa Bay franchise history, St. Louis has five of the top eight seasons, recording 60-plus takeaways every year from 2005-2010, as well as during the 2011-12 season.

But despite all those years of forcing the opposition to turn the puck over, St. Louis never recorded 90 takeaways in a single campaign, making Hagel the only player in Lightning franchise history to do so.

To put Hagel's puck hounding into even more perspective, only 14 players in NHL history have recorded more takeaways in a single season than Hagel's 92 in 2022-23.

"His engine's always going, and he never gives up on pucks," said Lightning head coach Jon Cooper following a three-point night from Hagel in a 5-1 win over Montreal. "He's always around the net, just as he was for both those goals he scored.

"That was kind of Palat's spot for a lot of years and Hagel's fit seamlessly in there. He's been really good for us."

But for Hagel, his game went far beyond just takeaways. The Saskatchewan native took his offense to an entirely different level than he had in the past, finishing the season with 30 goals and 34 assists for 64 points while setting new career-highs in goals, assists, points, plus/minus, power-play goals, power-play points and shots on goal.

The kid's a HC's dream,1st over the boards on the 'kill' and in late game defensive situations,1st unit PP,net-front duty,55 tallies the last two seasons,stays in the line-up and a team best +23 despite his tough defensive assignments.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tough call....at the moment it looks like a bad trade. You would've thought both the Cat and Hazel were young enough to build around. On the other hand, if you keep them... there's very little chance they finish bad enough to grab Bedard. If the kid is all he's cracked up to be.... it's a win for the Hawks.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Tough call....at the moment it looks like a bad trade. You would've thought both the Cat and Hazel were young enough to build around. On the other hand, if you keep them... there's very little chance they finish bad enough to grab Bedard. If the kid is all he's cracked up to be.... it's a win for the Hawks.
Loved both players, but.....it will be at least 3-4 years before the final grade is in....imo........your post hit the 'nail on the head'

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not just "We probably won't grab Bedard", but you just have to look at Edmonton to see what a FWD-heavy roster does. I think getting Korch will start to pay some dividends in the next few years--especially if he's built some great chemistry with Allan in Seattle.

Ultimately, we won't know how good the trade is until after all of the pieces involved become established. Does Korch pan out to be a top pair D-man? What about Moore? Plus, we still have next year's TBL 1st rounder to acquire.

El Gato and Hagelstorm are both great players, but unless you have a generational talent waiting in the wings, D and G have to be filled out 1st, then C, then wingers.

Granada

Liked Posts:
This team will still not be good in 3 years (would have been 5 without Bedard). So, having Hagel and Debrincat around would have been pointless; not only in the sense that it would make the team better (antithetical for a rebuild) but also for them as individuals (i.e. solid players on a shit team going nowhere anytime soon). I don't think it's right to look at it as "player traded is better than player acquired," unless it's two equally-matched teams involved in the transaction; which in this case, it certain was not between TB and Chicago.

For the rebuild, it was the right decision. You not only want good young players but you want them to peak in a similar window. Debrincat and Hagel peaked at the wrong time compared to the team as a whole, which is why it was best for both the team and them to cut them lose.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wasn't commenting on the trade or the team,just the player and the season he had.

The trade saw a return that even a 'green-horn' GM couldn't pass up,two 1st's for Hagle at the start of the 21-22 season was unthinkable and it's still stellar seeing his progress.........especially considering the state of the team's rebuild as mentioned.

The team will be bad for a few more years.also as mentioned,which allows me to pursue other interests BUT the 'opiate of the masses',otherwise known as Connor Bedard will fill the seats,sell jerseys and keep em glued to the TV regardless of W's & L's..........I might even tune-in myself from time to time to see the phenom.
Some teams like the NYR have performed quicker rebuilds and have become competitive and others like NJ,Buffalo and Ott are about to reap the rewards of more long-term rebuilds. NJ's about there with the outstanding, young players they've drafted and Ott has it's stud D-men and centers so I guess they're a lock too. The Sens already had their #1 in 26yro Chabot and the outstanding 20yro Sanderson when they acquired 24yro Chychrun on D,and 23yro B Tkachuk,24yro Batherson and the 21yro German stallion Tim Stutzel,who just might be the best young player in the game.........yet they're assured nothing. The Sabres have outstanding,young forwrds Thompson,Tuch and Cozens and brilliant,young D-men Dahlin,Power and Quinn.........they're assured nothing also. The Sens and Sabres both have other promising youngsters too and solid vets like Skinner and Giroux but both still missed last year. How all three teams do going forward should be a preview of the Hawks' future if things go right.
Some teams started from scratch and became the cream of the crop immediately like cup winning LV or found themselves one OT game seven goal away from the WCF in their 2nd season like Seattle.........no long-term periods of suffering necessary.
Edmonton and Toronto both have multiple drafted forwards who might be as good or better than Bedard.........Edmonton and Toronto are yet to meet in the SCF.
Scorching the earth and bottom-feeding for YEARS is one way to go about it and adding good,young players to an already competitive team is another. I'll try to hang around to see how ours' works out(LOL) and rely on that 'opiate' till then I guess.

I just commented on the player and the misconception that Chicago only lost a 'role player' with a little 'grit',Brandon Hagle has a LOTTA 'grit' but he's also one of the better two-way forwards in the game and will continue to improve under Cooper's tutelage.