Bears All-22 coaches film

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Perhaps "haters" isn't the right word... Let me rephrase: people with an agenda.

Seems certain people are still butt hurt that we didn't take "their guy" in the 2017 draft and have an axe to grind.

Personally I didn't have a "guy" in the 2017 draft so I'm pretty neutral on Mitch. As I said, I'm perfectly happy to let the game film be the judge. If it confirms what the "haters" are saying so be it. But from what I've watched so far he's clearly not the sole contributing factor for the poor offensive showing last Thursday.

Is anyone saying he’s the sole contributing factor for the poor offensive showing?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Nagys play calling was for me the biggest issue. I like his gimmick plays here and there but he needs to play to mitchs strengths and not his offense. Let mitch throw the ball on the move and pound the ground with our 3 running backs.

I think Nagy is at a place right now where he’s torn between doing what’s best for Mitch’s future (and the long-term future of the Chicago Bears) and what’s best at this particular moment in time.

Nagy knows that Mitch dropping back and going through his progressions isn’t playing to his strengths—not by a long shot. So why’s he doing it? Because Trubisky *does* have to do this in order to become a better quarterback. This is 202. As Mitch becomes better at this, good things will happen.

Conversely, what’s best for the moment at hand is to take such decisions out of Mitch’s hands, to give him almost purely one-read plays or “level” plays where the progressions are literally all in the same part of the field. His QB rating excels in these types of plays because as a matter of athletic ability, he’s actually a pretty good quarterback. Although errant sometimes, he can make the throw...if he doesn’t have to read a defense much at the same time. Taking advantage of this would yield more instant offensive success and help the Bears win right now. But it wouldn’t be a long-term solution, and it wouldn’t help Mitch’s overall development.

I believe Nagy is trying to figure out right now how much to take out of Column A and how much to take out of Column B, while also fiddling with the other 25 guys on the offensive side of the ball and trying to figure out how they all fit in. This is gonna take some time. Last year was awesome, and it almost made us forget that in the grand scheme of things, Nagy is still trying to figure this whole pro football head coach thing out. I actually think he has the “leader” part of it down. It’s the X’s and O’s he needs to work on and continue to evolve. I do believe the league is adjusting to coaches like Nagy. Now it’s time for those coaches, including Nagy, to adjust back.

Last edited:

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He hasn't been good enough. The progress has been exceptionally slow and the good plays/games are not frequent enough.

I have serious questions about how good he is going to get.

But to ignore the pitiful play of the OL on Thursday is unfair to a honest assessment of him. They were 10x worse than I was expecting it to be.
The OL was so bad I just cant see how its not the focus of more conversation. This was supposed to be an average to above average group but on Thursday they looked like a bottom 5 group. Even factoring in Whitehair and Daniels swapping positions it was not acceptable for a team with playoff aspirations.

Im beating a dead horse but I still don’t understand how Nagy thought these guys needed few to no preseason snaps. You cant give up games with a schedule like the Bears have this year.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I Think in the 4th quarter, especially the last drive, Mitch put the team on his shoulders and them in the position to win. But then double doink.

The only issue I have, is that if he really, truly put his team on his shoulders there, he throws a TD pass and we just win the game. Fuck a FG.

That being said, I was impressed with his performance during that drive. And he did what he needed to do to get his team the W. Any other QB would have been praised for it. But you know how it is on this forum. Lol.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What's even more odd is the Bears have decent leverage up top on the bubble and Mitch throws it to the 1 v 2(A-Rob vs CB and safety over the top) action side to Robinson. I feel like Mitch pre-programmed this read and didn't really read the backside safety presnap all that well. Honestly though, this feels like a tremendous concept and execution by GB here as well as Pettine ate Nagy's lunch all day. Went wide contain in what he may have guessed was a traditional Nagy RPO situation and the Bears didn't get out of the play and had to run the play into less than advantageous numbers to either side of the field.
Geee..

Look at this:

https://theathletic.com/1198089/201...-breaking-down-the-bears-offensive-breakdown/

"
R-P-Oh, I know which play is coming
The Bears went heavy with run-pass option (RPO) calls against the Packers. There’s only one problem: they tip when the play is coming from a formation tendency.

"

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wish that wasn't behind a paywall. Mind sharing any other good tidbits from it?
1. FFS, pay for The Athletic. It's worth it.

2. TL;DR version:

-Montgomery only got two touches after the 1st Qtr
-"The most common personnel package was Cohen, Mike Davis, Robinson, Gabriel and Cordarelle Patterson. But on eight snaps, this group gained only 11 yards, one first down and was sacked twice on eight snaps "...lol
-Pettine abused Daniels
-Nagy is hyper predictable with his RPO sets

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do not want to seem like I am only targeting the OL, the Bears dropped more passes in the 4th then they were credited with last season

Cohen drop that would have been 8-10

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Gabriel tough catch, that I saw being made on MNF, 20 yards and FG range.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Streaming the all 22 is highly illegal, and Twitch will strike you down with the quickness. Best bet will be using a sketchier platform.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Shaheen is useless and here is a drop in the redzone

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I do not want to seem like I am only targeting the OL, the Bears dropped more passes in the 4th then they were credited with last season

View attachment 2794

Cohen drop that would have been 8-10
You should target the OL, they were absolutely horrendous. Worse than I even imagined. It's gonna be a long season on O.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This would have been a great catch and I expect a 14/season #1 to make it.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was borderline unprofessional. Whitehair and Leno were spectacularly bad.
This is what you get when you essentially ignore o-line by not spending any high value draft picks for years on end. This unit is atrocious, and there's no one waiting in the wings either. Wait until the Bears face a team with a better front 7, the Packers are at best middle of the pack in that regard. It's gonna be a blood bath. I have that Vikings game circled in 3 weeks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Whitehair and Leno were straight trash on a bunch of key plays.

On 3rd down with the game on the line, Whitehair gets worked by Za'Darius Smith and Trubisky takes it in the mount as he throws the ball.