Bears are the top offer for Wentz?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think that Philly and it's fans have an understandable but overvalued opinion of Foles, plus they still need a back up QB and Foles only counts $4M vs the cap next season for an acquiring team, so I think PHI will see him as an asset.
I get that. When Foles walks in Philly he never has to pay for a beer or cheesesteak. He's a walking legend.

With that being said the Eagles fans aren't deciding the move. It's Howie Roseman, who is looking to manage the cap while making the team better.

Pace is doing the same thing for the Bears. IMHO they can create $1,333,332 cap space for trading him and it will help Wentz get the 'fresh start' Chicago is looking to provide.

When you look at Foles contract the Eagles would be committed to $4M in 2021, but that jumps up to $8M in 2022. It's really not that good of a deal for the receiving team, hence why I think Foles would be considered a 'negative asset'.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want to totally derail this thread but I am not keen on paying players for past success instead of future success. Robinson II was a good soldier for the Bears and I have no ill will, but I don't think its good business to give up all of the Bears cap flexibility on this one player. Especially considering the pitiful state of the offensive tackle position.
Agreed on derailment but couldnt a long term extension possibly be backloaded to not hurt so bad in 2021s cap crunched year?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Agreed on derailment but couldnt a long term extension possibly be backloaded to not hurt so bad in 2021s cap crunched year?
Maybe, I don't know enough about how NFL contracts work to really get into particulars. I do know though that NFL salaries are not guaranteed so it's unlikely Robinson II's camp is willing to backload money that they know they may never see.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It appears that the Bears are looking to get the QB position fixed before the draft.

I actually like the approach, because using the 20th pick in the draft to try to land a rookie, does not seem to hold as much value as using the 20th pick in Free Agency to land a vet QB.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Seeing the post that has Carr in it, no telling what intel that guy has, but Carr is my first choice just because the compensation will not be as much as getting Watson. I would be thrilled with Watson, but I think the Bears will need to not lose so much in compensation.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
It appears that the Bears are looking to get the QB position fixed before the draft.

I actually like the approach, because using the 20th pick in the draft to try to land a rookie, does not seem to hold as much value as using the 20th pick in Free Agency to land a vet QB.
It seems obvious they will not move forward on any sort of off-season plan until quarterback has been addressed. It seem that this will not be like last off-season or the 2017 off-season.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It seems obvious they will not move forward on any sort of off-season plan until quarterback has been addressed. It seem that this will not be like last off-season or the 2017 off-season.
Actually in 2017 they went out and brought in the Ginger Giraffe before drafting Trubisky....but they do not have the Cap space or Draft Capital to do that again.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bears with Carr? I can dig it.

Since it's multiple teams, why not Carr and Ertz?

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Nick Stevenson
@Indy_Nick
Chemist/statistician. High stakes fantasy football player. Die hard colts fan.

Have we now sunk to citing the AP chem teacher at Broad Ripple HS that uses his stats background to humble brag about his FF exploits?
you'll have to ask him, I just thought it was humorous that some dude in Indy knows Pace as well as we do

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Di Filippo being promoted to passing game coordinator could be telling in the Wentz discussions. There's no way the Bears have gone this far down the Wentz trade path without him being onboard and providing his opinions.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Maybe, I don't know enough about how NFL contracts work to really get into particulars. I do know though that NFL salaries are not guaranteed so it's unlikely Robinson II's camp is willing to backload money that they know they may never see.
Each contract has a set amount of guaranteed money - alot fo that is usually paid up front in bigger deals in the form of a signing bonus. The backloading is only for cap purposes, the signing bonus can be amortized over the entire deal. The guaranteed money is what the deal really should be assessed by.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Di Filippo being promoted to passing game coordinator could be telling in the Wentz discussions. There's no way the Bears have gone this far down the Wentz trade path without him being onboard and providing his opinions.

"Not to be outdone, Chris Ballard has named Frank Reich Passing game coordinator in addition to head coach, as well as the man with the bigger penis in a dick measuring contest..." - Probably Adam Schefter

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
"Not to be outdone, Chris Ballard has named Frank Reich Passing game coordinator in addition to head coach, as well as the man with the bigger penis in a dick measuring contest..." - Probably Adam Schefter
I actually heard Ballard has changed Frank Reich's title to 'The Chosen One' and legally changed the name of their current passing game coordinator, Kevin Patullo, to 'also Frank Reich'.