Bears are the top offer for Wentz?

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW I know its a subscription to read but the Athletic has the Colts as the favorites to land Wentz still. Maybe the Eagles are trying to get Ballard to up his offer by leaking stuff about the Bears. Ballard wont fall for it though as he was heavy on Pat Statford and wouldn't go to 2 1sts from reports.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Not even close. Mirer was an epic level bust with a 65.2 passer rating, 41/56 TD/INT and 53% comp and a 20-31 record at the time. It wasn't even debatable whether or not he was a horrible QB, yet somehow the Bears gave up a 1st for him so he could come start and lose 3 whole games as a Bear.
Point still holds wentz isn’t worth a first round pick. And for posters predicting 10 acl surgeries for Watson want to ignore wentz injury history. So bottom line first round pick +for wentz is getting fleeced

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Point still holds wentz isn’t worth a first round pick. And for posters predicting 10 acl surgeries for Watson want to ignore wentz injury history. So bottom line first round pick +for wentz is getting fleeced
If he reverts to how he'd played his entire career and not last year then the eagles will have been fleeced

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The other two teams in on Wentz are probably Washington and Carolina. The Athletic had them in on all the vet QBs. Washington is probably out being a division rival. Carolina was more interested in Stafford.

They think Philly would prefer to trade Wentz to the AFC, but Ballard is too disciplined to offer much for Wentz and are already looking at other options.

I wouldn't count Denver out either. I haven't heard about them being in on any of the QB's but no way does J.Elway not make all the calls and find out what it would take to get each one. No way he thinks D.Lock is his guy.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the eagles are actually asking for 2 1sts or more then I doubt anyone has made an offer. Kind of hard to do that after hanging up the phone.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
If the eagles are actually asking for 2 1sts or more then I doubt anyone has made an offer. Kind of hard to do that after hanging up the phone.
Zero chance with that contract. Eagles are going to be lucky to get a 1st rd pick in return.

jazzmcfunk

Liked Posts:
I'd be okay with a 3rd or 4th round conditional pick for Wentz, but anything above is overpaying, especially with the salary he's carrying. I'd rather gamble on another draft pick at a much lower salary than gamble on a QB and overpay for the next few years. Building a dynasty also requires players who are willing to get lower salaries so they can have more talent on the team. I'd rather not be 'house poor' with a QB who may or may not work out.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'd be okay with a 3rd or 4th round conditional pick for Wentz, but anything above is overpaying, especially with the salary he's carrying. I'd rather gamble on another draft pick at a much lower salary than gamble on a QB and overpay for the next few years. Building a dynasty also requires players who are willing to get lower salaries so they can have more talent on the team. I'd rather not be 'house poor' with a QB who may or may not work out.

If we can get him for our 3rd I'd be jumping for joy.

Wentz is someone I don't want but he's more of an unknown than mitch/foles and actually has talent. I don't think he will succeed, but if he doesn't this team is going in this shitter anyways. That contract can be gotten rid of two years down the road.

If it's a 3rd, I'd trade for wentz and still take a QB in the first or second.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Wentz is someone I don't want but he's more of an unknown than mitch/foles and actually has talent. I don't think he will succeed, but if he doesn't this team is going in this shitter anyways. That contract can be gotten rid of two years down the road.

It's gonna cost more than a 3rd and there are other trade packages that would include us giving up more than just a 3rd round pick that i'd be good with cause i do think he's worth the chance. There's other QB's i'd rather have with D.Watson and Dak being the top 2 but they aren't looking too realistic as of now for us. I'd also put trading up for Z.Wilson, J.Fields and maybe T.Lance above Wentz but they also depend on what we'd have to give up. Wentz contract is manageable for us.

Trading for Wentz and then drafting a QB would make me a little nervous since one of the many rumors about Wentz was that he didn't take it well when they drafted J.Hurts so trading for him and then drafting a QB right away might not be the best idea. I get it that things like that shouldn't bother a legit starting QB in the NFL but if that rumor is true then maybe go the year with him and just bring in a veteran QB in free agency for one year and let Wentz show us who he is.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's gonna cost more than a 3rd and there are other trade packages that would include us giving up more than just a 3rd round pick that i'd be good with cause i do think he's worth the chance. There's other QB's i'd rather have with D.Watson and Dak being the top 2 but they aren't looking too realistic as of now for us. I'd also put trading up for Z.Wilson, J.Fields and maybe T.Lance above Wentz but they also depend on what we'd have to give up. Wentz contract is manageable for us.

Trading for Wentz and then drafting a QB would make me a little nervous since one of the many rumors about Wentz was that he didn't take it well when they drafted J.Hurts so trading for him and then drafting a QB right away might not be the best idea. I get it that things like that shouldn't bother a legit starting QB in the NFL but if that rumor is true then maybe go the year with him and just bring in a veteran QB in free agency for one year and let Wentz show us who he is.
I think that says it all, if that is really true, then do not trade for Wentz. Are you Type A alpha that people talk about, or are you Type A beta that is trying to be king shit and really isn't. Ya, get upset that they drafted your replacement or a developmental guy, then go out and completely remove any doubt that you are the leader and starter for the team, or sulk and pout and be a bitch.

jazzmcfunk

Liked Posts:

That's fair. I just hope that Pace can find a way to be patient. He seems to have a tendency to bid against himself and overpay for players. If Pace can be patient, the Eagles will have to drop the price to move Wentz, which seems like what they have to do to move him.

On another note, I find it ironic that Nagy tries to outsmart himself as well. It's hard to win when the GM and HC try to outthink themselves. Just like it's hard to build a dynasty when the ownership boxes in their decision makers with one year extensions.

jazzmcfunk

Liked Posts:
I think that says it all, if that is really true, then do not trade for Wentz. Are you Type A alpha that people talk about, or are you Type A beta that is trying to be king shit and really isn't. Ya, get upset that they drafted your replacement or a developmental guy, then go out and completely remove any doubt that you are the leader and starter for the team, or sulk and pout and be a bitch.
I completely agree. If drafting a backup gets you rattled, your mettle isn't very solid. You sure as hell aren't a leader.

Liked Posts:
I dont get the whole "his contract is too expensive" thinking. His salary wouldn't even be top 15 in QBs and you can get out in 2 years

My understanding is that the team acquiring him would have a cap hit of $25M this year and $22M next. They could release him in 2023 like you mentioned.

That's not terrible, but I don't think the statement about him not being in the top 15 is accurate. In terms of cash spent (what a team would have to pay if they acquired any other QB), he's top 5. In terms of cap hit, he'd be at 12 from what I see. Again, not terrible, but it's def. more than we would pay if we kept Trubs, who might end up being just as good/bad as Wentz but less upside.

jazzmcfunk

Liked Posts:
I dont get the whole "his contract is too expensive" thinking. His salary wouldn't even be top 15 in QBs and you can get out in 2 years

According to this website (and maybe it's garbage), he's got the 8th highest salary for QB's. Also $61M guaranteed, obviously less since his contract is up in 2023. Comparing it to other QB's, it's a fair concern that he's getting paid too much based on his 2020 stats.

So my point is that the "risk" of having these salary cap implications is not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick from us, again based on his 2020 performance.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
According to this website (and maybe it's garbage), he's got the 8th highest salary for QB's. Also $61M guaranteed, obviously less since his contract is up in 2023. Comparing it to other QB's, it's a fair concern that he's getting paid too much based on his 2020 stats.

If he stays in Philly his contract is up that high, if he is traded, Philly eats a chunk of it and the new team has him for 25, 22, 25, 26