Bears are the top offer for Wentz?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Is this going down today or what?
If it hasn't went down by now it probably won't be going down today.

I'm thinking Philly was trying to smoke out all teams that are interested hoping to bid up the price a bit. As it stands Howie doesn't have what he wants, so there might not be a deal to be made.

The longer this goes down the less likely it occurs.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Howie is asking for too much. He has to know he is trying sell a lemon like it’s a brand new Mercedes. Last year ran like shit, broke down and took wife’s car to work. It’s not running like it was 2 years ago and new owner has to do some repair even though repair might not work out.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:

I'm thinking Philly was trying to smoke out all teams that are interested hoping to bid up the price a bit. As it stands Howie doesn't have what he wants, so there might not be a deal to be made.

But haven't they boxed themselves in? I can't see Wentz wanting to go back. If things were already bad, they are now worse. This has been too public for it not to sting even more.

Rise

Liked Posts:
But haven't they boxed themselves in? I can't see Wentz wanting to go back. If things were already bad, they are now worse. This has been too public for it not to sting even more.

Ballard is owning this guy is what’s happening. Yes he will be traded and before the March deadline for his bonus. Indy called this guys bluff and he is mad. It’s so obvious now even Pace figured it out. Howie should have taken that Chicago offer which has probably been taken off the table and he is left with egg on his face.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ballard is owning this guy is what’s happening. Yes he will be traded and before the March deadline for his bonus. Indy called this guys bluff and he is mad. It’s so obvious now even Pace figured it out. Howie should have taken that Chicago offer which has probably been taken off the table and he is left with egg on his face.
Church of Ballard! Lol

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

I'm thinking Philly was trying to smoke out all teams that are interested hoping to bid up the price a bit. As it stands Howie doesn't have what he wants, so there might anot be a deal to be made.

There is no way Wentz isn't traded. Roseman throwing out a bunch of bullshit was a huge weak bluff. He is like Chevy Chase from Xmas vacation signing a contract for the pool before getting his bonus, and Wentz rather than big cash has turned out to be the Jelly of the month club.

He's fooked unless someone really gets stupid.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I totally agree to a point. There was some momentum for the deal and once you talked to all parties and got their best offer it becomes time to pick a partner and get it done.

The flip side is the Eagles never wanted to be in this position. They were 100% in to having him be their starting QB this year and made moves to get that done (fired coach, brought in 'Frank Reich guy', etc...). It sounds like Wentz has talked to the owner (Laurie) and the coach (Sirianni), but isn't taking calls from Roseman. It's logical to assume that Roseman, Laurie and Sirianni are talking, so they might feel there's a scenario where Wentz is expected to show up to training camp and they try to work it out. Honestly, who the F knows?

I'll also paint a scenario that could play out. The two main teams in trade talks are the Bears and Colts. Both are motivated to upgrade the QB spot. I guess the Bears could spin that Foles is good enough and the Colts can do the same with Brissett/Eason, but I'm confident neither wants to be in that spot. If the draft rolls around and both teams are still looking for a QB at picks 20 and 21, what happens if the top 5 QBs on their board are off? We gotta feel Lawrence, Fields and Wilson will be gone. What if Lance and Jones are also gone? We aren't in that situation now, so it doesn't have the same level of urgency, but if that happens could you see Wentz have that 2 firsts value?

I'm thinking Howie has a price and he's sticking too it. If he gambles and hopes that time will create leverage that's just him betting on himself and/or willing to deal with the consequences of a deal not happening (i.e. forcing Wentz to training camp). Could easily be a mistake, but it's his mistake to make and deal with the consequences.

For fans of both teams it's a yoyo of emotion. First we are hearing it's done and the details will come out shortly. As time has passed we've had days of hearing trade compensation that goes from favorable to down right nauseating for both sides. Now we are told the deal might not even happen. We are getting close to the time where this happens on the roller coaster:

vomit-gif.gif

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Could be. I think Ballard, Pace and Roseman all know where their respective minimum/maximum is. If there isn't a middle ground or someone won't compromise then a deal won't be done.

I doubt it's as simple as getting caught with a bluff, but who knows?

Rise

Liked Posts:
Could be. I think Ballard, Pace and Roseman all know where their respective minimum/maximum is. If there isn't a middle ground or someone won't compromise then a deal won't be done.

I doubt it's as simple as getting caught with a bluff, but who knows?

Ask yourself how going public helps the Eagles? It doesn’t he is just on tilt and vented. This whole thread started on a false rumor that came from the Eagles organization in a failed attempt to get Indy to increase their offer. It failed and your GM is frustrated.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Not so sure. May just be a pause to regroup. That $10m roster bonus is still looming.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Ask yourself how going public helps the Eagles? It doesn’t he is just on tilt and vented. This whole thread started on a false rumor that came from the Eagles organization in a failed attempt to get Indy to increase their offer. It failed and your GM is frustrated.
I 100% agree he's frustrated. He traded a lot to get Wentz, extended him and now that same player dislikes him so much that he wants out. Add in that no one will give him his version of 'fair value' for the player and he's stuck.

Maybe he is on tilt and venting. I have no idea, but does that change anything? Football has a long history of GMs that will cut off their nose to spite their face. The crazy part is sometimes it actually works. I will add Roseman isn't looking good and no doubt Jeff Laurie is watching how this unfolds. Before it was just a 'fix the coach' situation. Now it's a 'trade Wentz' situation. Soon it will be a 'get a new GM' situation.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just calling it for what it is. Or do you think Pace is the one who did this? I know who I’d bet on.
Of course you would cause this board praises Chris Ballard like he has won 3 super bowls in a row.

I think it's mostly just been leaked rumors by the Eagles.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Not so sure. May just be a pause to regroup. That $10m roster bonus is still looming.
I'm just saying, wouldn't his trade value go up if the Eagles eat the $10M roster bonus? The receiving team would essentially have that first year at ~$15M.

The only reason why I say this is many think that roster bonus is a deadline. I see it as a reason to get it done before, but there might be teams willing to offer more after that date.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'm just saying, wouldn't his trade value go up if the Eagles eat the $10M roster bonus? The receiving team would essentially have that first year at ~$15M.

The only reason why I say this is many think that roster bonus is a deadline. I see it as a reason to get it done before, but there might be teams willing to offer more after that date.
There would be probably, but the Eagles can't really afford to eat that on top of the $34mil they are already eating.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Of course you would cause this board praises Chris Ballard like he has won 3 super bowls in a row.

I think it's mostly just been leaked rumors by the Eagles.

I don’t routinely praise Ballard so please don’t lump me in with whatever board prejudices you have. You agree Eagles leaked the rumors well then guess who didn’t bite? Ballard. Give him some credit.

You’re just mad Pace sucks.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
There would be probably, but the Eagles can't really afford to eat that on top of the $34mil they are already eating.
They are already cap fucked, but where there's a will, there's a way. Per overthecap.com they are currently $49M over. Here's some shit that will go down:

Cut/trade Ertz = ~$5M
Cut D. Jackson = ~$5M
Cut Jeffery = ~$2M (post June designation, which is already happened)
Cut M. Jackson = ~$2M (post June designation, which is already happened)
Cut M. Goodwin = ~$4M

So we got $18M of our $49M there. Looking to make up $31+M more.

Time to restructure. The top candidates are:

Cox - Cap number at ~$24M
Graham - cap number at ~$18M
Slay - cap number at ~$16M ($12M in roster bonus)
Barnett - cap number at ~$10M (last year of rookie deal. Can also trade him and fully free up that cap space)
Brooks - cap number at ~$15M (over $10M is in a roster bonus. Can convert to signing bonus)

Finally Jason Kelce might retire. Not sure, but I think that would free up some space or they could to a Brees type restructure, then retire.

One final piece is according to overthecap.com if they trade Wentz post June 1st the it frees up ~$24M of cap space. That paves the way for a trade to happen in principle after the draft where the Eagles would be looking at 2022 and beyond draft picks.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t routinely praise Ballard so please don’t lump me in with whatever board prejudices you have. You agree Eagles leaked the rumors well then guess who didn’t bite? Ballard. Give him some credit.

You’re just mad Pace sucks.
Did Pace bite? Is Wentz on the Bears? I missed that news.

LMK when Ballard wins something.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They are already cap fucked, but where there's a will, there's a way. Per overthecap.com they are currently $49M over. Here's some shit that will go down:

Cut/trade Ertz = ~$5M
Cut D. Jackson = ~$5M
Cut Jeffery = ~$2M (post June designation, which is already happened)
Cut M. Jackson = ~$2M (post June designation, which is already happened)
Cut M. Goodwin = ~$4M

So we got $18M of our $49M there. Looking to make up $31+M more.

Time to restructure. The top candidates are:

Cox - Cap number at ~$24M
Graham - cap number at ~$18M
Slay - cap number at ~$16M ($12M in roster bonus)
Barnett - cap number at ~$10M (last year of rookie deal. Can also trade him and fully free up that cap space)
Brooks - cap number at ~$15M (over $10M is in a roster bonus. Can convert to signing bonus)

Finally Jason Kelce might retire. Not sure, but I think that would free up some space or they could to a Brees type restructure, then retire.

One final piece is according to overthecap.com if they trade Wentz post June 1st the it frees up ~$24M of cap space. That paves the way for a trade to happen in principle after the draft where the Eagles would be looking at 2022 and beyond draft picks.
I looked at their OTC, what an absolute mess that roster is financially. They will have to push like $40mil into 2022 and 23 just to get under the cap this year. A total disaster. If they want to eat that extra $10 on top of that, wow.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I looked at their OTC, what an absolute mess that roster is financially. They will have to push like $40mil into 2022 and 23 just to get under the cap this year. A total disaster. If they want to eat that extra $10 on top of that, wow.
Yeah, it's a disaster. They fell victim to trying to repeat their 2017 success by holding onto that roster. Compounding this is they haven't drafted well and traded away some picks for players throughout that run. Not only did they have a low draft hit rate, but less arrows in the quiver.

The extra $10M is a shrug. This team needs to build through the draft, not free agency. If eating an extra $10M in cap space gets them an extra 2nd or a 3rd + 4th then so be it.

As an Eagle fan I'm preparing for pain. It's an aging, expensive roster that's short on young talent. Add in that they are really hoping their 2nd rounder from 2019 can be a franchise QB this could be a train wreck if he doesn't pan out. There's a real chance we have many of the same problems heading into 2022, but we are in the crappy spot of needing to draft a franchise QB.

I think this is somewhat the cost of a championship run. We made a lot of short term moves to get there, then made a bunch more trying to keep that window open. We should have went full Patriot and just let players walk, but that's a lot easier to say than do. Part of me is good with it because it's okay with it because I'd rather have a GM/owner push to win again then to say 'it was a championship roster that we tore apart'. Fine line between fighting for this year and focusing on long term success.