Bears are the top offer for Wentz?

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I’d rather give up a 2nd Rd pick for Darnold, saving the 1st rd for Oline than taking on Wentz and all is garbage.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My understanding is that the team acquiring him would have a cap hit of $25M this year and $22M next. They could release him in 2023 like you mentioned.

That's not terrible, but I don't think the statement about him not being in the top 15 is accurate. In terms of cash spent (what a team would have to pay if they acquired any other QB), he's top 5. In terms of cap hit, he'd be at 12 from what I see. Again, not terrible, but it's def. more than we would pay if we kept Trubs, who might end up being just as good/bad as Wentz but less upside.

Was listening to Hoge and Jahns and they threw that top 15 info out there. They also mentioned a 10m bonus due to Wentz by Philly so maybe they're talking in terms of if they traded him after that bonus is paid

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If the Bears trade for him they are almost certainly going to amortize some of his 2021 salary, making his cap hit less this year but pushing cap money into the 2023 season and perhaps beyond. This is one of Pace's MOs the last few years (Trevethan, Fuller).

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Was listening to Hoge and Jahns and they threw that top 15 info out there. They also mentioned a 10m bonus due to Wentz by Philly so maybe they're talking in terms of if they traded him after that bonus is paid
Philly isn't going to do that.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
According to this website (and maybe it's garbage), he's got the 8th highest salary for QB's. Also $61M guaranteed, obviously less since his contract is up in 2023. Comparing it to other QB's, it's a fair concern that he's getting paid too much based on his 2020 stats.

So my point is that the "risk" of having these salary cap implications is not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick from us, again based on his 2020 performance.
That is a bargaining chip, but teams interested in trading for him undoubtedly assume he'll perform like 2017-2019 which would make his salary extremely team friendly

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Philly isn't going to do that.
You think they just keep him if it gets there? I'm starting to think that is their best option as his value is depressed right now, but I tend to believe with a better supporting cast he will revert to form. His career had shown a pattern of very good football in which last year looks like an outlier in a bad situation. Only time will tell though

jazzmcfunk

Liked Posts:
You think they just keep him if it gets there? I'm starting to think that is their best option as his value is depressed right now, but I tend to believe with a better supporting cast he will revert to form. His career had shown a pattern of very good football in which last year looks like an outlier in a bad situation. Only time will tell though

Yes - what it really comes down to is determining two things: 1. Is he a leader, or is he a prima dona? 2. Can he be 'fixed'?

Number 1 seems to have mixed indicators, so it's hard to speculate, but on the second question, I have real reservations based on what I've seen so far with play calling. Maybe the system and the coach is what the poison pill is. Maybe even drafting a QB is a bad option, especially if our coaches try to coach the player to work in the system they have rather than making the system work for the player. That is a big challenge for coaches at all levels - being adaptive and humble enough to know what will work for your players, not your system. Again, I'm not so sure of the staff's ability to adapt.

In both cases, it's all a dice roll, if crystal balls existed in sports, things would be a lot more boring, and I'd be rich!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’d rather give up a 2nd Rd pick for Darnold, saving the 1st rd for Oline than taking on Wentz and all is garbage.

Hell no. That is dumb for 2 reasons.

1. You might as well draft a QB in the 2nd who isn't mentally fucked up.

2. You make it more likely the Jets trade for Watson.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Darnold is legit worse than Trubisky.

You can get quality O line in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Just look at the Bucs. Paces problem is he waits til the late rounds.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
If the Bears can somehow hang on to their first rd or 2nd rd pick, they can offer one of the picks or even a future pick for OT Orlando Brown. That would be a great addition to the Bears.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If the Bears can somehow hang on to their first rd or 2nd rd pick, they can offer one of the picks or even a future pick for OT Orlando Brown. That would be a great addition to the Bears.
Ravens can’t afford to pay him. Can give them a lower pick like next years 2nd.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think they will trade him for the best offer before then. It's still 5 weeks away.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Eagles do not have a strong bargaining position to get full value.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think that says it all, if that is really true, then do not trade for Wentz. Are you Type A alpha that people talk about, or are you Type A beta that is trying to be king shit and really isn't. Ya, get upset that they drafted your replacement or a developmental guy, then go out and completely remove any doubt that you are the leader and starter for the team, or sulk and pout and be a bitch.

This is just pure speculation by someone on twitter or a media person. There's a lot of people saying different reasons for why Wentz was bad last year so don't know what's true and what not true.

If true then it's an issue for anyone that trades for him for sure.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Main reason why Wentz sucked last year is his O-line was bad, and receivers were not good. he is the type of person that things go bad, it keeps getting worse because he will try harder instead of listening to advice from coaches. He tries to play hero ball instead of team ball.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If the Bears trade for him they are almost certainly going to amortize some of his 2021 salary, making his cap hit less this year but pushing cap money into the 2023 season and perhaps beyond. This is one of Pace's MOs the last few years (Trevethan, Fuller).

This would be a bad idea. I'd rather push money from Mack, Jackson and Whitehair into the future. If Wentz is bad, you need that out after 2022. If Wentz is really good, you're going to tear up his current contract anyway and get him at the 30M/year going rate.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
This would be a bad idea. I'd rather push money from Mack, Jackson and Whitehair into the future. If Wentz is bad, you need that out after 2022. If Wentz is really good, you're going to tear up his current contract anyway and get him at the 30M/year going rate.
Whitehair sure. But if Wentz is $25mil against the cap next year they just aren't going to have enough flexibility no matter what they do with other players imo. They gotta win next year.

Mack is already so badly leveraged, not much more blood from that stone. Plus he's a tradeable asset with a decent contract (for a team trading for him) after this year if the shit hits the fan too.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I dont get the whole "his contract is too expensive" thinking. His salary wouldn't even be top 15 in QBs and you can get out in 2 years
'cheap minds think alike'....

Some people look at the remaining contract and just think it's a lot without putting into context.

Not only is the ~$25M/season pretty good he's locked in for the next 4 years AND most of the guarantees are paid, so if it doesn't work it isn't hard to cut or trade him.