Bears OTAs and Minicamps (Rookie, voluntary, mandatory, coerced, etc.)

msadows

Liked Posts:
The market didn't get reset for 32 year old receivers. Sorry Keenan no one is going to pay you what you think you're worth especially after the Bears drafted themselves an insurance policy.

Go take your chances in the market and see that they're willing to pay a 32 YO WR.

He literally said that. Dude said he's fine playing out the year and betting on himself. Dude will be 33 next offseason. I heavily doubt he thinks he's getting 35m but he see's bums get paid 15m

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The question asked was would there be a round of new cuts coming out on the 1st of June.

And I responded that you likely to see cuts if guys situation changed post draft/OTAs/TC.

For example a few guys were cut post draft like Gill and once again once OTAs and TC is over you may see some more cuts.

Not sure what is confusing you.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am astronomically impressed with Stroud, but reading this was a bit disappointing. Play football, win some championships and let the media make opinions and create adversity. You answer questions about all time great QBs by just stating they are great QBs.

Why? He gave his honest opinion.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
“The quarterback had several noteworthy moments Tuesday, including multiple tight window throws to wide receiver DJ Moore and underneath throws to Rome Odunze, Keenan Allen and D'Andre Swift.

Williams completed 13 of 16 throws in 7-on-7, which also provided a learning moment after launching a pass that was picked off by safety Kevin Byard.

"Those are the experiences that he has to go through," Eberflus said. "He has to go through his progressions, which he did. He was right on his progressions. Then he took a hitch, and the ball should have came out, and he took two hitches, and it was late over the middle. That's always dangerous when you do that.

"But that's the learning experience in the process that a young quarterback has to go through ... Whenever his feet are timed up, when can he make those throws and when can't he make those throws? That's just experimentation."

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
“Williams did have plenty of success earlier in practice in 11-on-11 drills and seven-on-seven, often connecting with Allen, DJ Moore and Rome Odunze.

Highlights included a jump-throw to tight end Gerald Everett, a deep over with pinpoint precision to Odunze, a strike to tight end Cole Kmet over the middle and another laser to Moore, hitting him in stride.

“(Williams) had some really good throws in there today, as you guys saw,” head coach Matt Eberflus said. “Had some good conversions on third down. Had a couple nice throws to DJ in there.”

While we’ve seen moments where it’s apparent that a veteran defense is winning against a rookie quarterback and a new scheme, Eberflus doesn’t see this as your typical situation of pacing things properly because of a rookie QB.

“It’s a good thing that our quarterback’s highly competitive and he’s of high character, so he’s gonna be pushing that ball down the court,” he said. “So I don’t think we have to worry about that. I really don’t.”

Bears minicamp: Caleb Williams has learning moments vs. salty defenseChicago Bears minicamp: Caleb Williams has learning moments against salty defense

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Allen talking about "market is now reset", while entering his mid 30s. I think he will be great for us, but no way he gets signed over DJ, especially after drafting Rome. I hope this is a great 1 year rental, or he resets his expectations to be realistic.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Allen talking about "market is now reset", while entering his mid 30s. I think he will be great for us, but no way he gets signed over DJ, especially after drafting Rome. I hope this is a great 1 year rental, or he resets his expectations to be realistic.
We don't know what he meant other than the very obvious. Regardless of age, the market has definitely been reset. No matter what stage of their career, WRs will probably will be paid more today than they would've had they been re-signed 6 months ago.

This doesn't mean he will earn ASB money. We don't know what he'll ask for, but whatever his value was 6 months ago has definitely gone up, barring injury or a noticeable decline in production. I only take his statement to mean he knows he should earn a bit more than he would've otherwise, and I don't believe that will be untrue. My guess is he was worth something slightly less than Mike Evans and I'm not sure what that would mean today with the prices of WRs going up (and salary cap going up) and also considering his age and injury concerns.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:

Edit: I'm not gonna try figuring out the link right now. From herb howard:

"No doubt. He put on an absolute clinic. Had 4 punts downed inside the 5, including one he bounced out at the 1yd line and another that was caught in the air by the coverage team at the 1yd line. He had an additional 3 punts downed inside the 10. And it was a windy day at Halas. The kid is a weapon! *I won’t tell y’all what I think happened to
@AdamHoge
while he was watching that period of practice."

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The reports on ESPN 1000 cross talk today is they think Caleb's floor right now is better than peak Justin Fields. That even when Caleb is struggling in practice he's already been than that Justin Fields was last year.

They were talking about how he's more efficient with the football more in command in the huddle and even when he's making mistakes it's because he's attempting throws that Justin Fields refused to even try.

Based on that I think the worst we'll see from Caleb Williams is a handful of mistakes that he'll learn from and get better at and then he'll be carving teams up routinely.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The reports on ESPN 1000 cross talk today is they think Caleb's floor right now is better than peak Justin Fields. That even when Caleb is struggling in practice he's already been than that Justin Fields was last year.

They were talking about how he's more efficient with the football more in command in the huddle and even when he's making mistakes it's because he's attempting throws that Justin Fields refused to even try.

Based on that I think the worst we'll see from Caleb Williams is a handful of mistakes that he'll learn from and get better at and then he'll be carving teams up routinely.
The one thing I will say is that it's important not to start with bad habits like forcing the ball like Cutler or bad footwork like a lot QBs we see in the NFL. With processing, he has what it takes. Fields simply did not. So as long as Caleb takes care of the ball and has good fundamentals to go along with the raw talent, he can really be special.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The one thing I will say is that it's important not to start with bad habits like forcing the ball like Cutler or bad footwork like a lot QBs we see in the NFL. With processing, he has what it takes. Fields simply did not. So as long as Caleb takes care of the ball and has good fundamentals to go along with the raw talent, he can really be special.

You're correct, but I also feel like there's a difference between bad habits and learning what you can and can't do.

Peyton Manning still holds the record for most interceptions thrown in a season and he turned out okay.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Can’t wait for their numbers to be compared while ignoring Justin’s rushing production and the fact that this team has over twice the receiving talent than they did during Fields time here.

Also a big fan of your complete flip on Caleb.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Can’t wait for their numbers to be compared while ignoring Justin’s rushing production and the fact that this team has over twice the receiving talent than they did during Fields time here.

Also a big fan of your complete flip on Caleb.
It's not that the rushing yards and TD's don't count. It's not that they didn't help the Bears. The difference though is that the rushing plays:

- are not sustainable by the QB (historically and practically)
- are easier for great defenses to defend and take away
- are not reliable in 2 minute drills or when a team is down multiple scores
- are a result of sheer athleticism that will wear down with age
- are susceptible to injury which reduces said athleticsm
- put stress on the O-Line to hold blocks longer and at sharper angles

This has been a passing league for half a century and even more so the last 10-15 years. QBs relying on scrambling and rushing yards in general have not had sustain success with very few examples. There are a lot of QBs that have the scrambling attribute but they do not RELY on it as their main skillset.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's not that the rushing yards and TD's don't count. It's not that they didn't help the Bears. The difference though is that the rushing plays:

- are not sustainable by the QB (historically and practically)
- are easier for great defenses to defend and take away
- are not reliable in 2 minute drills or when a team is down multiple scores
- are a result of sheer athleticism that will wear down with age
- are susceptible to injury which reduces said athleticsm
- put stress on the O-Line to hold blocks longer and at sharper angles

This has been a passing league for have a century and even more so the last 10-15 years. QBs relying on scrambling and rushing yards in general have not had sustain success with very few examples. There are a lot of QBs that have the scrambling attribute but they do not RELY on it as their main skillset.
Stopped reading there. TDs are TDs. They didn't help because the Bears were built to lose. And a lot of Fields haters don't count any of that production. BrettCCSBears being one of them. No lies found here.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Stopped reading there. TDs are TDs. They didn't help because the Bears were built to lose. And a lot of Fields haters don't count any of that production. BrettCCSBears being one of them. No lies found here.
If you stopped reading there then you missed the entire point. I was not blaming Fields directly for the losses.