Bears OTAs and Minicamps (Rookie, voluntary, mandatory, coerced, etc.)

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here, let's talk about the offensive line and Jalen Carter.

Poles should have kept Teven Jenkins at right tackle. At no point has Jenkins shown he shouldn't be the right tackle.

They should have kept Whitehair at left guard and Patrick is your center and keep Mustipher as the backup. Yeah I understand everyone hates Mustipher and he played awful but no less awful than anyone else they had.

Carter is the starting 3-technique and they could have drafted an interior offensive line prospect that can play center/guard in the spot they grabbed Dexter or Pickens.

They had a starting RT on the roster already. Now instead they're hoping Bates or Shelton develops at the second most important position on the offensive line.

For some reason Poles has a high level of disdain for Jenkins.

Then if he wants to switch out Whitehair this year for Bates he can do that.

Now they have their RT spot still secure and a generational talent at DT and a high quality center locked in to work with Caleb Williams now instead of wondering what they're going to do at DT and at center.

If he doesn't trade for Claypool maybe they don't need Odunze and have an edge guy or a WR in place from the second they gave up for Claypool. Nothing against Odunze I think he'll be great but Poles' roster construction is still shit.

Luckily with Caleb Williams he won't have to panic to try and fix the QB position anymore.

not gon read anything your write about OL, J'Marcus Webb

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I believe he was already in the end zone so I've got no issue with that particular grab.
I was trying to figure out why he fell down with the catch. Him being in the end zone makes sense. I don’t hate it as much.

I couldn’t tell where he was on the field on the film.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've always hated this kind of argument. Just because a guy was a backup for the team that drafted him doesn't mean he's a bad player. Mitch Morse, the guy Bates was backing up, has been easily a top 10 (maybe top 5) center in the NFL for the past decade.

Just because Bates couldn't beat out a pro bowler for a starting job, it doesn't mean that Bates is not a starting caliber player.
Pace obviously likes Bates and the 'cast off' (every FA?) C is here as insurance.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was trying to figure out why he fell down with the catch. Him being in the end zone makes sense. I don’t hate it as much.

I couldn’t tell where he was on the field on the film.
It's hard to tell in camp because there's markers allover the place but the way the DB reacted and distance made me think so besides the markers.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
not gon read anything your write about OL, J'Marcus Webb
So tell me why if Jermon Bushrod was so much better than J'Marcus Webb why was he supplanted by a seventh round pick as the starting left tackle? Y'all were so convinced that Bushrod was so great why did he lose the starting left tackle spot so easily?

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The point I made about Webb all those years ago was Bushrod wasn't a better option. Bushrod played 2 bad years and lost the job to Leno.

All that you and others like you saw was the headline "Bears sign Pro Bowl left tackle"

Bushrod was awful the year before he arrived in Chicago.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Not sure if it’s been said or not but the Adam’s and Fishbain are all saying Caleb looks better than any rookie they’ve seen in a bears practice since they’ve been covering them.
How long have they been covering Chicago?

My expectations remain low here. He may be the most talented rookie QB that we've had, but he's still a rookie. This is the first time in his life that grown adults in professional weight programs are putting him in the dirt.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So tell me why if Jermon Bushrod was so much better than J'Marcus Webb why was he supplanted by a seventh round pick as the starting left tackle? Y'all were so convinced that Bushrod was so great why did he lose the starting left tackle spot so easily?
You always pick wierd hills to die on. That's why they let Webb go 2 years before Bushrod. Webb didn't play more than 1 year without a suspension on another team in his career. This is not opinion.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You always pick wierd hills to die on. That's why they let Webb go 2 years before Bushrod. Webb didn't play more than 1 year without a suspension on another team in his career. This is not opinion.
Webb was awful but so was every left tackle they've had since Tait.

Webb was the original victim of Bears fan social media trolling.

A lot of people on here made fun of the fact that he was on the spectrum but I suppose that's par for the course for those folks.

You want to bully me that's fine but launching huge personal attacks on players on social media because they post about going to Taco Bell or celebrating his birthday with his family is beyond disgusting.

But it's clear as day who the folks are who have zero empathy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Webb was awful but so was every left tackle they've had since Tait.

Webb was the original victim of Bears fan social media trolling.

A lot of people on here made fun of the fact that he was on the spectrum but I suppose that's par for the course for those folks.

You want to bully me that's fine but launching huge personal attacks on players on social media because they post about going to Taco Bell or celebrating his birthday with his family is beyond disgusting.

But it's clear as day who the folks are who have zero empathy.
Webb was a victim of Webb Nation and opposing DEs. So you want a T that allows social media to control his play? I guess that happened with his other teams as well. :rolleyes:

Thing is, I also saw his potential but he suffered from weak brane. Didn't take well to training either. Seemed more a natural LT than RT. Probably had the ability to be pretty good if he applied himself but was never able to get his drop right and got mentally dominated. All the potential in the world but disappointed his fans and coaches with a poor work ethic and passive behavior.

You're not the only one that saw his potential, you were just the only one that wouldn't let it go when he refused to reach it and needed to blame everything else because you're overcompensating for some self esteemed issue or something something. Always some declaration or rationalization. It's old, man.

Last edited:

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Webb was a victim of knocking Mike Tice tooth out

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not sure if it’s been said or not but the Adam’s and Fishbain are all saying Caleb looks better than any rookie they’ve seen in a bears practice since they’ve been covering them.
Saying he looks better than any BEARS rookie in practice isn't saying shit......unfortunately.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Saying he looks better than any BEARS rookie in practice isn't saying shit......unfortunately.

Let’s put it another way. Hoge is saying he thinks worst case…. even as a rookie….. CW’s floor is at least as good and probably better than where they left off with Fields. Again that’s worst case. Just one reporter’s opinion so do with it as you will.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Let’s put it another way. Hoge is saying he thinks worst case…. even as a rookie….. CW’s floor is at least as good and probably better than where they left off with Fields. Again that’s worst case. Just one reporter’s opinion so do with it as you will.

We wont know what his floor or ceiling is based off mini camp.

Rex Grossman looked like a fucking surgeon in camp since day 1.

I expect him to be better than fields in the pass game cause its a low bar to set, but we've had bears QB's previously look good in practice. I'd be concerned tbh if he was missing guys in mini camp.

He should still be the best bears rookie QB ever just based on team talent alone. You could march out bagent and he'd do a serviceable job with all these weapons.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Still good to hear, just not much to go off of with Bears QB's.