Bears reaching out to DeCosta

Newblood

Liked Posts:
A lot of money in power could get DeCosta here. Bears need to do what it takes. Problem is, the Jets can offer the same deal.

Are the Jets willing to give DeCosta presidential power? Because that seems to be the only way you are going to get him out of Baltimore.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I'm not going to get too excited unless we hear something about DeCosta actually being interested, but if he is...

Give him whatever he wants. Hell, make him the highest paid GM.

You cannot overpay for getting the right guy at this position. And it doesn't even count against the cap.

kottke

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Indiana Pacers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Go full Cubs.

DeCosta is Theo.

You are right. Seriously, why not? They've watched it happen in their own backyard, why not copy? Even if the Cubs lay a turd this year and next, look at all the excitement and buzz they have created in the past 3 years building up to this point. The Bears would love that positive attention.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Are the Jets willing to give DeCosta presidential power? Because that seems to be the only way you are going to get him out of Baltimore.

Who knows but I feel pretty good about saying yes.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've found a fool proof way to Get DeCosta to accept an interview with us, and ultimately accept the job. Now, it will take someone with enormous influence and powerful friends!! So 1st we fire Ernie Accorsi, and then we hire this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeldwfOwuL8

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Im thinking Ernie has connections where he can have a better chance than Ted or George to get Decosta to interview.

Im not holding out hope for this tho. I think he's happy with his situation in Balt and happy to wait for Newsome to retire which will likely be soon

This is the way to land DeCosta:

George: I only have two questions for you to answer: what will be your title/responsibilities and how much do I make the check out for?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Isn't that almost exactly where the Bears are right now? Mediocrity, a quarterback nobody wants, and not a lot of young talent?

Yes, but the NY media is brutal. Chicago is better because of that.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
DeCosta has refused Oakland, St Louis,Cleveland, Indy, Miami and the Jets in the past. Thing is none of those offer a chance to take a charter franchise with great history and following from the depths to the summit. It would certainly require offering him autonomy, but why would George want Teddy making any more football decisions for any new GM? Not saying he will take the job, but I can't imagine many others being more attractive.

engbear

Liked Posts:
The thing is if you have personality and success in Chicago you will be a legend forever. It's there for the taking ....that goes for HC too

Rise

Liked Posts:
DeCosta has refused Oakland, St Louis,Cleveland, Indy, Miami and the Jets in the past. Thing is none of those offer a chance to take a charter franchise with great history and following from the depths to the summit. It would certainly require offering him autonomy, but why would George want Teddy making any more football decisions for any new GM? Not saying he will take the job, but I can't imagine many others being more attractive.

Only one charter franchise and that is us. I'd argue that Oakland, Miami, Indy (formerly Baltimore), have great histories. Jets and Rams have some nice flash in the pan histories, the new Browns are the only one who doesn't since that belongs to the Ravens.

That being said we just don't know what's going on in his head. I just want the Bears to go for it and offer him as much as they can, if they do that and he still says no then so be it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
@FulphilO: Source: surprised DeCosta on table if Phillips is truly on Business side. @DaBearsBeat

Apparently DeCosta might be interested if he is made President of Football Operations and doesn't answer to Teddy.

George did say they would restructure for the right guy.

Ozzie is 58 he could easily work for anothe 7-10 years.

This would be a huge statement if we could get DeCosta. Baltimore has been so great at drafting defense and we want our Monsters Of The Midway back and DeCosta would be the perfect GM to bring it back and would probably boost our attention to get Rex as our HC since they worked together in Baltimore?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

The Jets can also offer mediocrity, no potential, and a QB that no one else wants.

I don't think he wants that job. With a shrewd move and with permission from the McCaskeys, he can at least move Cutler out.

That permission has already been given by George. He said the GM and HC could do what they want with Cutler.

sycked

Liked Posts:
Yeah, they were downright pleasant to Emery & Trestman.

I wish we had something resembling the NY media. Some of questions, or should I say softballs, being lobbed on Monday at Ted and George were laughable. Only think I heard one or two worthwhile questions asked in a 40 minute press conference that mainly consisted of fielding questions. Chicago's sports media writers, particularly in regard to this town's favorite team, need to find employment elsewhere.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
I wish we had something resembling the NY media. Some of questions, or should I say softballs, being lobbed on Monday at Ted and George were laughable. Only think I heard one or two worthwhile questions asked in a 40 minute press conference that mainly consisted of fielding questions. Chicago's sports media writers, particularly in regard to this town's favorite team, need to find employment elsewhere.

Is what I hate is when a reporter asks nearly the exact same question as a another reporter had previously asked. As if the person being questioned will, for some reason, answer the question this time or the reporter will get a better response. And/Or, it gives me the impression that the reporter has no clue what is going on and didn't notice that the question was already asked.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
dude if we can somehow pry DeCosta away.....

I can just imagine George on the phone with him....

yesss.gif

GSH_34

Liked Posts:

I see a silver lining in that report. That if Phillips is still involved in football decisions DeCosta would not be interested. So, would he be interested if Phillips was pushed to the side? That report never said he wasn't interested and this was one of those situations George talked about where the Head Coach > GM > President > Chairman model would be restructured.

I don't think George is stupid enough to reach out to DeCosta knowing where he stands if he's not willing to put Phillips to the side and give DeCosta more power.