Bulls' Mirotic: 'I'm not feeling the same confidence I was before

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Sorry man, Mirotic isn't athletic, not by NBA standards he isn't.

Agreed. Mirotic certainly not athletic compared to a Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook. But come on, how many 6'10" Euro players are? Did anyone think he would be? I'm not sure what Bulls fans expected prior to him coming here, but he's exceeded my expectations to this point. He has the tools to be a very good player, he just needs time to develop them. Sure he's a streaky shooter, but who isn't on this team besides maybe, Gasol? Butler is our best player overall, but his shooting can be brutal at times. Same for Rose, who shoots like his eyes are closed most of the time.

Mirotic clearly has the most range, and I think he is the best spot up shooter on the team.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Where did you get that from? Jordan and Pippen liked Kukoc. They liked Kukoc more than they liked Rodman. He wasn't held back by them at all. He played better with Jordan than he would have with anyone else.

My guess is he watched that Dream Team documentary. As you know, how you feel about someone in 1992 is the exact same as how you would feel about someone in 1995.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Mirotic certainly not athletic compared to a Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook. But come on, how many 6'10" Euro players are? Did anyone think he would be? I'm not sure what Bulls fans expected prior to him coming here, but he's exceeded my expectations to this point. He has the tools to be a very good player, he just needs time to develop them. Sure he's a streaky shooter, but who isn't on this team besides maybe, Gasol? Butler is our best player overall, but his shooting can be brutal at times. Same for Rose, who shoots like his eyes are closed most of the time.

Mirotic clearly has the most range, and I think he is the best spot up shooter on the team.

The best spot up shooter on the team is Doug. Then probably brooks. Then a toss up between niko and snell. Once mdj comes back he would be top 2. So on a healthy bulls team, niko is probably the 4th best spot up shooter. Maybe 3rd.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

I never thought he was a great athlete. That's not the point. We were talking about potential.

In the talent identification process, Mirotic would be considered a high floor, low ceiling player. Why? Because what he lacks are not skills, its athleticism which for the most part, you are simply born with. Why do you think uber athletic players are snapped in drafts early all the time? Because skills like shooting and dribbling can all be improved a lot easier and a lot quicker.

There is very little room for Mirotic to grow as a player from this point. He is an experienced pro at 24 who predominantly already makes his living thanks to his skill and savvy basketball IQ. His athleticism will always limit his ability to defend, get rebounds, block shots, get to the rim and even create shots for himself. He can still do all those things just not as prolifically as a more athletic player with a similar skill set.

Like I said, unless he develops a post game and becomes more consistent with his shot, he will never be a star in this league. He is a role player and has always been destined to be one. Called it since we drafted him.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You can definitely be more than a role player with limited athleticism, you just have to be really really really good at what you do.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
You can definitely be more than a role player with limited athleticism, you just have to be really really really good at what you do.

Which Niko isn't. He's just "ok" at what he does. Which is mainly take spot up shots, back door cuts, and the occasional post ups. He's not "great" at any one thing and I've been saying it since we got him and I haven't seen anything yet to change my mind.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Which Niko isn't. He's just "ok" at what he does. Which is mainly take spot up shots, back door cuts, and the occasional post ups. He's not "great" at any one thing and I've been saying it since we got him and I haven't seen anything yet to change my mind.
Well, sure, I'm just saying Niko wasn't doomed from the start because he's not athletic, he would have been doomed because he doesn't excel at anything.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I blame Dirk. He made a HOF career being the awkward white guy on the court. Now, everybody assumes a tall non athletic euro player is the next Dirk.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, sure, I'm just saying Niko wasn't doomed from the start because he's not athletic, he would have been doomed because he doesn't excel at anything.

He has a low basketball IQ. I don't know if its transition, but he makes terrible decisions all the time.

Enasic

Liked Posts:

I gotcha. I mean, he's not really doomed in the sense that he's still a pretty decent player overall. I mean, I'm not overly high on him, but I do believe he's better than what he's shown this year. How much better? Eh, I don't think a whole lot, but better none the less. He's still limited and still a career role player.

I blame Dirk. He made a HOF career being the awkward white guy on the court. Now, everybody assumes a tall non athletic euro player is the next Dirk.

People on this board overrate Niko for 2 reasons.

1. The hype before he came over here. We heard about this guy for like 3 years before he came over and guys who literally never watched him play, (save for some youtube highlights) continued the hype of a potential franchise player.

2. The one month stretch he had last season. Yes, it was a great stretch but when you remove yourself from the emotion and look at it objectively. It was one month. Plenty of players get hot for a month. If you take that one month stretch out, Niko has actually been pretty damned bad in his NBA career. Decent/average at best.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
He has a low basketball IQ. I don't know if its transition, but he makes terrible decisions all the time.

The best is when he gets frustrated after a missed shot or a dumb play and commits a stupid foul like a kid having a temper tantrum. It'd be nice if he made an attempt to actually get stronger in the off-season so he doesn't get bullied on the court. He's not remotely skilled or "savy" enough to get by with the strength of a PG. If that.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I never thought he was a great athlete. That's not the point. We were talking about potential.

In the talent identification process, Mirotic would be considered a high floor, low ceiling player. Why? Because what he lacks are not skills, its athleticism which for the most part, you are simply born with. Why do you think uber athletic players are snapped in drafts early all the time? Because skills like shooting and dribbling can all be improved a lot easier and a lot quicker.

There is very little room for Mirotic to grow as a player from this point. He is an experienced pro at 24 who predominantly already makes his living thanks to his skill and savvy basketball IQ. His athleticism will always limit his ability to defend, get rebounds, block shots, get to the rim and even create shots for himself. He can still do all those things just not as prolifically as a more athletic player with a similar skill set.

Like I said, unless he develops a post game and becomes more consistent with his shot, he will never be a star in this league. He is a role player and has always been destined to be one. Called it since we drafted him.

I do not agree with you about Mirotic in regard to his defense and rebound. He is a pretty good rebounder for the minutes that he plays. HE also does not play soft. He mixes it up pretty well with anyone.

I say that he has a decent ceiling and should be a starter for the Bulls if used properly. He should work on a post game but it is hard to post someone up when your coach puts you beyond the arc on the court all of the time.

I don't know about being an all-star but a starter in the NBA is in the cards.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think in the NBA there are a hell of a lot of great athletes that are not good basketball players and vice versa. Its the old Larry Bird versus Julius Erving comparison. Bird couldn't get a foot off of the ground while Julius could tough the top of the backboard. Both were great basketball players. One was a great athlete and the other not so much.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Larry Bird was a basketball savant who was actually pretty athletic in his early days. He came into the league an outstanding shooter, had the vision to be a great passer, could put the ball on the floor. Take everything Mirotic is good at and x10. He along with Steph Curry show that yes, you can be a superstar without great athleticism but you have to be an absolutely elite shooter, dribbler and/or passer. Mirotic is none of those things.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Mirotic is soft. There's really no way around that. He's built like a 6th grader and gets bullied routinely. As another poster pointed out, he's not good in tight spaces. Part of that is because of a lack of strength and part of it is a lack of lateral quickness.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
When you say he is limited athletically, who would you compare him too? I'm just trying to understand your thought process, because I see a kid who's damn near 7-foot tall dribbling, passing and shooting like a 3 or 4. To me, that is athletic.

Magic could do those things, wouldn't consider him much of an athlete either. You can be a great player and not be athletic.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I do not agree with you about Mirotic in regard to his defense and rebound. He is a pretty good rebounder for the minutes that he plays. HE also does not play soft. He mixes it up pretty well with anyone.

I say that he has a decent ceiling and should be a starter for the Bulls if used properly. He should work on a post game but it is hard to post someone up when your coach puts you beyond the arc on the court all of the time.

I don't know about being an all-star but a starter in the NBA is in the cards.

Hoiberg has done everything to help Mirotic...had him start at multiple positions. I don't know how he is to blame. Mirotic was supposed to be a stretch 4...as his game evolves, so would his responsibilities.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

Wow, a post game? Really? You totally don't get it, do you? Mirotic's strength is his shooting and playmaking. Trying to convert him to a post player is a complete waste of time and his talent. Good thing you're not a coach.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Wow, a post game? Really? You totally don't get it, do you? Mirotic's strength is his shooting and playmaking. Trying to convert him to a post player is a complete waste of time and his talent. Good thing you're not a coach.

Lol Wot?

First of all, it's debatable if shooting is a strength of his. He is shooting 3's at a similar percentage to guys like Luol Deng, Al Farouq Aminu and Nicolas Batum...hardly snipers out there. How do you define playmaking? 10 points and an assist per game isn't showing me a whole lot of playmaking ability, especially when you are so inefficient from the field (38% FG%).

Second of all, just because offensively he is primarily a face up player, doesn't mean as a player he should limit his arsenal of offensive weapons to just that. That's ridiculous. You are basically saying no player should ever try and develop any kind of new element to their game because they should just stick to their strengths. If he wants to be a star and if you have any of hope of being right on your prediction of him becoming one, he needs to develop something new to his game because what he is doing right now is not working all that well.

I am glad you are not a coach otherwise no player would improve ever under your tutelage. Jordan would have never developed a jump shot or post game because you just would have told him to continue to just keep penetrating over and over again. Dirk would have never developed his fade away jumper or post game. So on and so forth.