Bulls' Mirotic: 'I'm not feeling the same confidence I was before

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Lol Wot?

First of all, it's debatable if shooting is a strength of his. He is shooting 3's at a similar percentage to guys like Luol Deng, Al Farouq Aminu and Nicolas Batum...hardly snipers out there. How do you define playmaking? 10 points and an assist per game isn't showing me a whole lot of playmaking ability, especially when you are so inefficient from the field (38% FG%).

Second of all, just because offensively he is primarily a face up player, doesn't mean as a player he should limit his arsenal of offensive weapons to just that. That's ridiculous. You are basically saying no player should ever try and develop any kind of new element to their game because they should just stick to their strengths. If he wants to be a star and if you have any of hope of being right on your prediction of him becoming one, he needs to develop something new to his game because what he is doing right now is not working all that well.

I am glad you are not a coach otherwise no player would improve ever under your tutelage. Jordan would have never developed a jump shot or post game because you just would have told him to continue to just keep penetrating over and over again. Dirk would have never developed his fade away jumper or post game. So on and so forth.

Nah, it's not a debatable. Mirotic is a shooter, always has been. Stick to your day job.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Mirotic certainly not athletic compared to a Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook. But come on, how many 6'10" Euro players are? Did anyone think he would be? I'm not sure what Bulls fans expected prior to him coming here, but he's exceeded my expectations to this point. He has the tools to be a very good player, he just needs time to develop them. Sure he's a streaky shooter, but who isn't on this team besides maybe, Gasol? Butler is our best player overall, but his shooting can be brutal at times. Same for Rose, who shoots like his eyes are closed most of the time.

Mirotic clearly has the most range, and I think he is the best spot up shooter on the team.

When I made that statement...I was not talking about Rose or Westbrook...they surpass nba standards. I am speaking of the average athletic NBA player...Mirotic isn't on that level.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
When I made that statement...I was not talking about Rose or Westbrook...they surpass nba standards. I am speaking of the average athletic NBA player...Mirotic isn't on that level.

Any white players from Europe on that list? Didn't think so... could have told you that before he ever came to Chicago.

Now, are we going to talk about reasonable expectations based on his scouting reports, or how he can't jump out of the gym and perform 360 dunks one-handed with his eyes closed.

FWIW, Gasol, Noah, McBuckets, Heinrich and Dunleavy aren't particulary athletic by NBA standards either. Does that mean they're all busts who can't play?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Gasol= Multiple all-star and world champion. Future hall of famer

Noah=Multiple all-star and DPOY (who in his day was extremely athletic) lol

Hinrich = 2nd team all defensive player

Dunleavy = Meh

Mirotic = Guy with a beard who hasn't lived up to expectations

You were the guy calling Niko athletic. Now you're making the point that it doesn't matter. What the hell is going on?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gasol= Multiple all-star and world champion. Future hall of famer

Noah=Multiple all-star and DPOY (who in his day was extremely athletic) lol

Hinrich = 2nd team all defensive player

Dunleavy = Meh

Mirotic = Guy with a beard who hasn't lived up to expectations

You were the guy calling Niko athletic. Now you're making the point that it doesn't matter. What the hell is going on?

athleticism doesn't mean a guy is a good player

Enasic

Liked Posts:
athleticism doesn't mean a guy is a good player

LOL No shit!

Chisox made a claim that Niko was athletic and after it was pointed out by many on here that he's not, he then made the exact same point you just made.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It doesn't matter if he's athletic or not if he sucks. He's played better lately, so let's just hope he builds on that.

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
Any white players from Europe on that list? Didn't think so... could have told you that before he ever came to Chicago.

Mario Hezonja, the Orlando Rookie, is actually very athletic and he should be an exciting player to watch in the coming years.

Other than him, you just get guys with sort of average athleticism. Dragic, Porzingis, Nikola Vucevic is fairly athletic for a big man, Gallinari isn't unathletic but nothing to write home about.

If you're comparing players to Westbrook, then nobody will fit that definition of athletic. The European guys aren't freak athletes, but let's not act like they're moving like 50 year olds out there, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Mario Hezonja, the Orlando Rookie, is actually very athletic and he should be an exciting player to watch in the coming years.

Other than him, you just get guys with sort of average athleticism. Dragic, Porzingis, Nikola Vucevic is fairly athletic for a big man, Gallinari isn't unathletic but nothing to write home about.

If you're comparing players to Westbrook, then nobody will fit that definition of athletic. The European guys aren't freak athletes, but let's not act like they're moving like 50 year olds out there, either.

Good post. This is exactly my point. Mirotic is a 6'10" forward from europe, with average athleticism who shoots 3s and plays more like a guard. Considering his background and scouting report, I think he has exceeded expectations. Give him a few more seasons and he could be a star in this league.

I recall several years ago when guys like that were an anomaly, and often ridiculed. Now, this is common due to the NBA adopting the euro style of basketball. In any event, Mirotic has enough skill and talent to be a good player some day, and I think he will be. Frankly, I find talk of Mirotic not having much value or that the Bulls should get rid of him to be stupid.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Now you admit to Mirotic having average athleticism. You are coming around.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Now you admit to Mirotic having average athleticism. You are coming around.

Next he has to realize he doesn't handle it like a guard either. Or shoot very well.

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
I like to imagine that Mirotic will become a good player in the NBA, just going through a long slump, but I'm also from former Yugoslavia so I'm partial to players from the homeland (even if he's technically Spanish).

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Next he has to realize he doesn't handle it like a guard either. Or shoot very well.

I think he does have a good handle for a big. That's one thing that surprised me when he came over.

It's been a season and a half and he hasn't shown me at all that he is a consistent threat shooting the ball. I would say that he could improve in the coming years as a shooter because he does have a good stroke.

I think Mirotic and Gallinari are decent comparisons. Gallinari is a little more athletic with a better handle while Mirotic is a little more willing to bang inside. Hence why Mirotic will get a couple more rebounds than him a game. I don't think Mirotic will be quite the scorer he is though. Look at their stats per 36 mins and they are eerily similar.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I think he does have a good handle for a big. That's one thing that surprised me when he came over.

It's been a season and a half and he hasn't shown me at all that he is a consistent threat shooting the ball. I would say that he could improve in the coming years as a shooter because he does have a good stroke.

I think Mirotic and Gallinari are decent comparisons. Gallinari is a little more athletic with a better handle while Mirotic is a little more willing to bang inside. Hence why Mirotic will get a couple more rebounds than him a game. I don't think Mirotic will be quite the scorer he is though. Look at their stats per 36 mins and they are eerily similar.

Seems fair.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

What did Jimmy Butler show you after a season and a half coming off the bench? Give me a break man. You people have no vision whatsoever. How many 6'10" guys can hit a 3 from the locker room? Atleast admit he has better handles than any other big man on the team. That should tell you something.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Yeah because every NBA player dramatically improves the way Butler did between his third and fourth season.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Niko start shooting 37+ percent from 3 pt land. Until he starts doing that consistently, I don't care if he can shoot a 3 from China.