DE Garrett Just Swung a Helmet at QB Rudolph

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Garret's take down of Rudolph is what instigated the incident, not Rudolph trying to tear Garret's helmet off. Watching the replay again, the ball was out of Rudolph's hands for a few seconds by the time Garett finished driving him down to the ground. That was bush league, and I can see why Rudolph got pissed.

Also, had that helmet been positioned a little differently, it could have fractured the dude's skull and killed him, like Richard Gere in the movie Unfaithful. Scary stuff.

Last edited:

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't DeCastro take Garrett to the ground? Or was that #71?
DeCastro took him to the ground but threw no punches or anything. To me seems like the most professional way to handle it. Take him to the ground, preventing him from attacking your teammate again yet still no unsportsmanlike conduct on his part. The fact he's on the ground under your 300+ pounds just means he can cause no more harm from there. Can't blame DeCastro for the ensuing punching and kicking that Pouncey did.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garret's take down of Rudolph is what instigated the incident, not Rudolph trying to tear Garret's helmet off. Watching the replay again, the ball was out of Rudolph's hands for a few seconds by the time Garett finished driving him down to the ground. That was bush league, and I can see why Rudolph got pissed.
I'd agree after further review. At first though it looked all good cause Garrett got to him at about the same time he got rid of the ball. Problem was he had him wrapped up for a second or 2 and even though the ball was already gone, he continued on with the take down. That's clearly what agitated Rudolph. Then we'd have to ask did Garrett realize the ball was already out and why did Rudolph try, of all things, to take his helmet off. Seen it suggested that Rudolph had his hand stuck in his face mask and was just trying to get it out but I don't buy that cause he was clearly pissed off.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Also, had that helmet been positioned a little differently, it could have fractured the dude's skull and killed him, like Richard Gere in the movie Unfaithful. Scary stuff.

QBs are tackled late all the time. The response to that is generally not to try and take another players helmet off, kick him in the groin and then keep going after him when your OL separated you.

To be sure, Garrett deserves his punishment but if a non-QB reacted to a late hit like Rudolph did, they would be facing a suspension too.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Can't believe all the people caping for Rudolph ITT. If you got kicked in the nuts and called a ****** you would most definitely hit someone with a helmet if you had a helmet to hit with. #caseclosed

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I have not seen a replay showing Rudolph clearly kicking Garret in the groin. IF that were the case, then obviously he should be punished and suspended for it, but the point remains: Garret was the clear instigator, and using the helmet as a weapon is NEVER acceptable.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Rudolph doesn't get some type of punishment there is going to be trouble.

I agree with the initial suspension of Garrett. I would have no problem with him laying hands on Mason, but the helmet was way too far.

I think Pouncey got too many games, but maybe the kick did it. Not going to complain given his history.

Ogunjobi should be suspended for more games for sheer stupidity. Especially listening to his interview postgame.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can't believe all the people caping for Rudolph ITT. If you got kicked in the nuts and called a ****** you would most definitely hit someone with a helmet if you had a helmet to hit with. #caseclosed
Being unbiased, I have reviewed film and determined no kick was thrown. I looked for both the snapping action one would expect from a kick being thrown from that position and intent to direct a kick to that area and there was none. He was just flailing with his legs trying to push off as Garrett grabbed hold of his face mask and was pulling on it. I also do not think Garrett reacted to that as if he was kicked but rather reacted solely to Rudolph attempting to remove his helmet. Makes perfect sense as Garrett responded by removing Rudolph's helmet.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have not seen a replay showing Rudolph clearly kicking Garret in the groin. IF that were the case, then obviously he should be punished and suspended for it, but the point remains: Garret was the clear instigator, and using the helmet as a weapon is NEVER acceptable.

A late hit has rarely ever been considered instigating a fight particulalry one that was not flagged as late.

A late hit does not give Rudolph license to respond in the manner that he did.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
A late hit has rarely ever been considered instigating a fight particulalry one that was not flagged as late.

Yeah, what? The late hit started it? o_O I honestly hope that's just an unpopular opinion and that most people realize that Rudolph was not justified in A. Trying to remove Garrett's helmet B. Escalating the situation after 2 of his offensive linemen were restraining Garret and C. Getting on the podium and saying what Garrett did was "cowardly"

Rudolph is a shitbird. Fuck that dude.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

Not so much a late hit as a late follow through take down. Had him wrapped up for a couple of seconds after he got rid of the ball and then continued to take down those couple of seconds after the ball had been released.
Yeah, what? The late hit started it? o_O I honestly hope that's just an unpopular opinion and that most people realize that Rudolph was not justified in A. Trying to remove Garrett's helmet B. Escalating the situation after 2 of his offensive linemen were restraining Garret and C. Getting on the podium and saying what Garrett did was "cowardly"

Rudolph is a shitbird. Fuck that dude.
Again, late take down as can clearly be seen if you watch again. I don't think anyone acted cowardly. It's just that tempers flared. Rudolph got pissed about the late take down. Garrett got pissed about Rudolph trying to remove his helmet. I do not believe there was anymore to it than that. Have no reason to believe Rudolph used the "N" word as some have suggested, cause the ref was right by them and would have brought it to the NFL's attention.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Lol @ late hit. Garrett may as well have made out with him with that take down.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
watch the video of it. Not that it was a harsh late hit at all. Was just annoying cause, by rule, the QB expects the defender to let him go after the ball has been released but Garret kept pulling him down in spite of the fact he no longer had the ball.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not so much a late hit as a late follow through take down. Had him wrapped up for a couple of seconds after he got rid of the ball and then continued to take down those couple of seconds after the ball had been released.
Again, late take down as can clearly be seen if you watch again. I don't think anyone acted cowardly. It's just that tempers flared. Rudolph got pissed about the late take down. Garrett got pissed about Rudolph trying to remove his helmet. I do not believe there was anymore to it than that. Have no reason to believe Rudolph used the "N" word as some have suggested, cause the ref was right by them and would have brought it to the NFL's attention.

You can call it what you want. Rudolph's response was still inappropriate. He conducting himself like a wild dog and almost got put down as a result. Further he is the one that gave Garett the idea to remove the helmet.

Again have no problem with the Garett suspension but if your QB behaves as Rudolph did then more altercations of this nature will happen not less.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
watch the video of it. Not that it was a harsh late hit at all. Was just annoying cause, by rule, the QB expects the defender to let him go after the ball has been released but Garret kept pulling him down in spite of the fact he no longer had the ball.

The problem here is that since it was not late, the Garett has no way of knowing for sure whether the ball was thrown, whether Rudolph still has it or whether it was fumbled and thus he needs to ensure Rudolph cant recover it which again makes Rudolph's respose all the more asinine.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can call it what you want. Rudolph's response was still inappropriate. He conducting himself like a wild dog and almost got put down as a result. Further he is the one that gave Garett the idea to remove the helmet.

Again have no problem with the Garett suspension but if your QB behaves as Rudolph did then more altercations of this nature will happen not less.
Do you think Rudolph should be punished for trying to take the helmet of Garrett off even though he didn't? That's just not how things are adjudicated. The end result is everything. He did not remove his helmet and was further provoked by Garrett pulling on his face mask and then successfully removing his helmet.

i think Garrett is allowed to play at the start of next season but had he knocked Rudolph out with the blow or cut him open, who knows when the hell he'd play again cause the end result is everything so safe to assume, because Rudolph was not hurt by it Garrett will be afforded the opportunity to play a full season next year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you think Rudolph should be punished for trying to take the helmet of Garrett off even though he didn't? That's just not how things are adjudicated. The end result is everything. He did not remove his helmet and was further provoked by Garrett pulling on his face mask and then successfully removing his helmet.

i think Garrett is allowed to play at the start of next season but had he knocked Rudolph out with the blow or cut him open, who knows when the hell he'd play again cause the end result is everything so safe to assume, because Rudolph was not hurt by it Garrett will be afforded the opportunity to play a full season next year.

Umm if a non QB tries to yank a guys helmet off, kicks him in groin and continues to go after him when they are separated then that would typically result in a suspension. Rudolph continued to escalate the situation instead of letting the refs mete out punishment.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Do you think Rudolph should be punished for trying to take the helmet of Garrett off even though he didn't? That's just not how things are adjudicated. The end result is everything. He did not remove his helmet

Trump/Sideshow Bob Defense?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I guess the question is whether the NFL was to encourage or discourage players taking matters into own hands.

Because if I am a QB and Rudolph is not punished, I would get in the face of the other teams star pass rusher anytime I feel like they went too far in the hopes of provoking them to do something stupid secure in the knowledge that I will not be punished.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Umm if a non QB tries to yank a guys helmet off, kicks him in groin and continues to go after him when they are separated then that would typically result in a suspension. Rudolph continued to escalate the situation instead of letting the refs mete out punishment.
You say he tried. Others say he got his hand stuck. End result says he did no harm nor foul cause he did not remove the helmet.
Trump/Sideshow Bob Defense?
What is up with you people's fascination with Trump. He's just another idiot puppet in a long line of idiot puppets. He's meaningless in regards to anything football. ..........
I've only seen him attend a baseball game and UFC PPV lately. No football!
I guess the question is whether the NFL was to encourage or discourage players taking matters into own hands.

Because if I am a QB and Rudolph is not punished, I would get in the face of the other teams star pass rusher anytime I feel like they went too far in the hopes of provoking them to do something stupid secure in the knowledge that I will not be punished.
Rudolph did not take matters into his own hands. I highly doubt he's dumb enough to pick a fight with Garrett. He reacted to a situation. Even his reaction could have likely gone unnoticed until Garrett was seen blatantly pulling his face mask and then ripping his helmet off.