Fat Lady is Warming up her Vocals....She Sang

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm just counting the days left on Wisdom.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So, interesting side effect of winning and not selling is I feel like it actually helps the cubs chances should they go after Ohtani. Cubs will have money under the luxury tax to go after both bellinger and ohtani and I would at least argue the cubs being what they are presently is a lot more interesting than a number of other potential suitors. Because cubs are the 7th best team by run differential(tex, atl, tb, lad, hou, balt in that order are ahead). And the cubs presumably have most of their talent still in the minors. Both NY teams sucking also is a positive.

Dodgers being the dodgers wouldn't shock me but thing to consider with them is they are already sitting at like $186 mil before anything and the luxury tax is $237. And the dodgers have been over it so many times they now pay an additional 50% for every dollar over that and they will have to replace both Urias and Kershaw should they not bring them back. So, while it's possible... he's gonna be more expensive to them than he will be to the cubs.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So, interesting side effect of winning and not selling is I feel like it actually helps the cubs chances should they go after Ohtani. Cubs will have money under the luxury tax to go after both bellinger and ohtani and I would at least argue the cubs being what they are presently is a lot more interesting than a number of other potential suitors. Because cubs are the 7th best team by run differential(tex, atl, tb, lad, hou, balt in that order are ahead). And the cubs presumably have most of their talent still in the minors. Both NY teams sucking also is a positive.

Dodgers being the dodgers wouldn't shock me but thing to consider with them is they are already sitting at like $186 mil before anything and the luxury tax is $237. And the dodgers have been over it so many times they now pay an additional 50% for every dollar over that and they will have to replace both Urias and Kershaw should they not bring them back. So, while it's possible... he's gonna be more expensive to them than he will be to the cubs.
There is a definite case to be made that not selling now is a great free agency recruitment.
Plus how the Cubs have handled Suzuki could matter to Ohtani. We also have a team with amazing depth and deep pockets.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not holding my breath on Othani.

Cubs should plan for the farm dealing with it for now. Cubs have solid starting pitching upwelling and Steele proved that the Cubs can self develop starters. So going all in is a pipe dream.

Taillon was the answer to Stroman leaving. Steele was the answer to internal development.

Cubs have 3 SP potentials on the team now with 2 in AAA that have higher top end.

Doing nothing but letting Stroman walk and making a decision on Hendricks might end up being the best option.

Cubs should get Wicks and PCA on the 40 with ,the two openings and get them some exposure in Sept.

Steele
Taillon
Assad
Wesneski
Killian
Brown
Wicks

Horton doing finishing touches.

They really don't need much as the depth is there.

I can see Wicks and Brown being promoted in May next year.

Wesneski has command issues and I see him better used in short situations. He most likely starts in the pen with spot starts to keep the others on regular rest.

So we would expect 1 guy pushed to the pen after Brown and Wicks promote. Then another pushed down for Horton around the ASG

so I don't think Jed needs to. Targeting a top starter creates a log jam and delays pending talent. This year it was fine to fill with vets. Next year they need opportunity and open rotation slots. Jed has not gone into sell mode to get established starters. And has invested into self development and brought in a GM with a strong track record at self developing staff aces over and over.

So again. Jed needs to stay the course and use pay roll smart.

I would rather see Jed resign Bellinger and target Chapman with the opened up payroll.

This gives the Cubs arguably the best IF in the majors. It stabilizes 3B again. Which is a needed scenerio going forward

Last edited:

Castor76

Liked Posts:
If Stroman opts for FA and Hendricks is let walk, I can see the Cubs possibly going after one starter because Steele and Taillon are the only guys right now you'd want to depend on to any level in a playoff series. That could be anything from bringing one back to going big on Ohtani or trying to pick up Nola or see if Urias is let walk by the Dodgers as they go all in on Ohtani.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs go with that starting pitching rotation, next year, they have an uphill battle in order to contend. If they want to be in the race for the third wildcard with no chance of going anywhere, that would be the way to go. They should go out and get a high end starter in the off-season and push everybody down. That is how you win.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs go with that starting pitching rotation, next year, they have an uphill battle in order to contend. If they want to be in the race for the third wildcard with no chance of going anywhere, that would be the way to go. They should go out and get a high end starter in the off-season and push everybody down. That is how you win.

Not always true. Rays, Guardians have been internal and both always are self producing high end SP.

The Cubs GM was from Cleveland. He targeted Brown, Wicks and Horton.

So don't let Cubs history dictate your opinions. If we were Rays or Guardian fans all we would be talking about is trading short term and who is the next ace coming up.

Self development of pitching is far better then paying for it. Othani is an exception as he is a 2 way player but you have to be looking at 10/400. That is a single investment and you can expect Bellinger not resigned. 3B a dead zone until something upwells from a farm system weakness.

IMO you really become codependent on the farm with a payroll handicap of that magnitude

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If Stroman opts for FA and Hendricks is let walk, I can see the Cubs possibly going after one starter because Steele and Taillon are the only guys right now you'd want to depend on to any level in a playoff series. That could be anything from bringing one back to going big on Ohtani or trying to pick up Nola or see if Urias is let walk by the Dodgers as they go all in on Ohtani.
I've read some theories on Urias. He is a bit of a wild card on the market.

Starting pitcher: Shohei Ohtani, Clayton Kershaw, Aaron Nola, Blake Snell, Julio Urías, Eduardo Rodriguez (opt-out), Lucas Giolito, Sonny Gray, Marcus Stroman (opt-out), Jordan Montgomery, Jack Flaherty, Lance Lynn (club option), Kenta Maeda, Charlie Morton (club option), Alex Cobb (club option), Kyle Hendricks (club option), Seth Lugo (player option), Rich Hill, Corey Kluber (club option), Hyun Jin Ryu, Luis Severino, Zack Greinke, Johnny Cueto (club option), Carlos Carrasco, Mike Clevinger (mutual option), Germán Márquez (club option), Wade Miley (mutual option), Noah Syndergaard, Michael Wacha (club and player options), Andrew Heaney (opt-out), Tyler Mahle, Sean Manaea (opt-out), Frankie Montas, Jake Odorizzi, Ross Stripling (opt-out), Alex Wood

I feel the most likely scenerio is Hendricks retained to ease in the new starters and help them with advice for the year. It helps with transition and doesn't create a log jam. Plus it is already in hand vs bidding for services.

Bellinger and Matt Chapman make the most sense. Jamier is a 2nd tier option as he is here and resigning is not a difficult decision for Jed.

I do believe that it would be a uphill battle depending on the farm. But, the Cubs have the best D in the majors. The O is not codependent on the HR. The Pen is pretty solid. Good pitching upwelling. Contract coming off.

Jed it kinda in the cat birds seat right now and and doesn't need a splash to be good. They are good and need to address weakness next year.

If Horton was not as advanced as he is I would think differently. All he is focusing on right now is his curve and change up at Tenn. A ball he was dominant with a fastball slider and he knew that he needed 4 pitches to dominate going forward.

69.1 IP. 18 BB 94 SO 3.12 ERA. .98 WHIP.

So that is the next Cubs Ace. The rate that he is accending July is a fair eta. All he is doing is finishing touches right now.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not always true. Rays, Guardians have been internal and both always are self producing high end SP.

The Cubs GM was from Cleveland. He targeted Brown, Wicks and Horton.

So don't let Cubs history dictate your opinions. If we were Rays or Guardian fans all we would be talking about is trading short term and who is the next ace coming up.

Self development of pitching is far better then paying for it. Othani is an exception as he is a 2 way player but you have to be looking at 10/400. That is a single investment and you can expect Bellinger not resigned. 3B a dead zone until something upwells from a farm system weakness.

IMO you really become codependent on the farm with a payroll handicap of that magnitude
I am not arguing internal versus external. I am suggesting they don’t have a top end starter ready to step in. They do have some guys in the minors who are not far off, but I don’t see anyone from the minor leagues stepping in and being a top of the rotation starter next year. I’m only talking about next year. I’m not talking about an entire philosophy on how to build a farm system or roster.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It occurred to me that the reason not to sell might be aimed directly at Otani. Show him a team on the brink that could be a bit of an enticement. I know his cost will be astronomical but since he's filling two gigantic holes....a top starter and a top hitter....you should probably look at it as paying two players, not one. And if he jumps aboard....how can Bellinger not?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not holding my breath on Othani.

Cubs should plan for the farm dealing with it for now. Cubs have solid starting pitching upwelling and Steele proved that the Cubs can self develop starters. So going all in is a pipe dream.

Taillon was the answer to Stroman leaving. Steele was the answer to internal development.

Cubs have 3 SP potentials on the team now with 2 in AAA that have higher top end.

Doing nothing but letting Stroman walk and making a decision on Hendricks might end up being the best option.

Cubs should get Wicks and PCA on the 40 with ,the two openings and get them some exposure in Sept.

Steele
Taillon
Assad
Wesneski
Killian
Brown
Wicks

Horton doing finishing touches.

They really don't need much as the depth is there.

I can see Wicks and Brown being promoted in May next year.

Wesneski has command issues and I see him better used in short situations. He most likely starts in the pen with spot starts to keep the others on regular rest.

So we would expect 1 guy pushed to the pen after Brown and Wicks promote. Then another pushed down for Horton around the ASG

so I don't think Jed needs to. Targeting a top starter creates a log jam and delays pending talent. This year it was fine to fill with vets. Next year they need opportunity and open rotation slots. Jed has not gone into sell mode to get established starters. And has invested into self development and brought in a GM with a strong track record at self developing staff aces over and over.

So again. Jed needs to stay the course and use pay roll smart.

I would rather see Jed resign Bellinger and target Chapman with the opened up payroll.

This gives the Cubs arguably the best IF in the majors. It stabilizes 3B again. Which is a needed scenerio going forward
Othani

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I am not arguing internal versus external. I am suggesting they don’t have a top end starter ready to step in. They do have some guys in the minors who are not far off, but I don’t see anyone from the minor leagues stepping in and being a top of the rotation starter next year. I’m only talking about next year. I’m not talking about an entire philosophy on how to build a farm system or roster.

They have it in hand. Steele was deserving of his All star bid. Taillon also has rose back to a TOR starter again.

I feel good about using those two work horses to build around.

Bellinger and Matt Chapman would be the ideal off season. Free up the cash from Stroman and Hendricks.

It is a lesser concern and I do get the concern as nothing is a given here. Depth is fine but I would not block anyone

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It occurred to me that the reason not to sell might be aimed directly at Otani. Show him a team on the brink that could be a bit of an enticement. I know his cost will be astronomical but since he's filling two gigantic holes....a top starter and a top hitter....you should probably look at it as paying two players, not one. And if he jumps aboard....how can Bellinger not?

Bellinger most likely resigns doing nothing. Both sides seem down with it. Boras normally will do what his clients want

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Your dumbass typed "Othani" lmfao

And I said some publications is an H. Instead of typing what I typed just say OH-tani. Or On-tani and the message would be fine.

All you are doing is make your ass-hat fit better. Congratulations

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I said some publications is an H. Instead of typing what I typed just say OH-tani. Or On-tani and the message would be fine.

All you are doing is make your ass-hat fit better. Congratulations

Just admit you fucked up like you do several times per day by misspelling players names. Your IQ is low double digits and you prove it daily. You get no benefit of doubt, you're a moron.