Fat Lady is Warming up her Vocals....She Sang

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ross came across as we have no one busting down the door.

Well Wicks pitches tonight. He is 3-0 3.82 ERA at Iowa in 7 starts. Over all 7-0 3.55 ERA in 91.1 IP

So what Ross said is not true.

Now this is a front office decision to make but it is getting clear that a decision will have to be made.

If you are going to punt. Do it for development

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ross came across as we have no one busting down the door.

Well Wicks pitches tonight. He is 3-0 3.82 ERA at Iowa in 7 starts. Over all 7-0 3.55 ERA in 91.1 IP

So what Ross said is not true.

Now this is a front office decision to make but it is getting clear that a decision will have to be made.

If you are going to punt. Do it for development
A 3.82 ERA at Iowa? That equates to what in MLB, 6.00?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Taillon loads bases. Ross does nothing.

Taillon allows game- tying grand slam. Ross gets up to close the barn door.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Catching up on the game as I am at work.

Wisdom bats with a man in scoring position: K
Happ bats with two men in scoring position: K

Go back to work. You’re not missing anything you have not seen several times before.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A 3.82 ERA at Iowa? That equates to what in MLB, 6.00?

Sometimes. Some pitchers find it easier due to better quality fields and D to work with.

I don't judge.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All I'm thinking is at best another Hendricks who has a plus change up. So if it is legit bring it on.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m just teasing you a bit about Wicks

I would like to see him called up.

I got to see him pitch in TN earlier this year. We need someone new rather than Smyly.
Anyone under 30 would be a Godsend.....I swear Hoyer is George Allen reincarnated.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm really hoping Jed does the right thing and brings him up and pushes Smyly back to the pen.

I'm not down on Smyly. I don't think he is starter quality anymore. When he was able to empty the tank in a inning vs conserve his success rate went up.

On the other hand being a unknown is a advantage to the pitcher. Add to it he has run a 47.2% ground ball rate. That is a plus in the best D in the majors.

Smyly 33.9% gb rate. He was causing his own issues and working against the Cubs strongest suit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
After listening and thinking it over.

A fixed and healthy Thompson is a must do to stabilize the set up innings.

Wicks is MLB ready and will give the Cubs a chance to win every game.

So if the Cubs just add those two in Sept and keep the rest the same it should fix some issues.

To make further changes it will take 40 man changes. Currently at 39 and adding Wicks fills it.

First move is Kay. They are up on him still and he throws mid 90's from the left. He is a 40 man so it would be a simple send town a tired arm and bring up Kay. Not a real issue.

2nd move. PCA. This would take a 40 man spot and a 26 man. Wisdom to me is the ideal cut as his value is nil right now. They did make a strong sale as a late inning PR then D replacement and next time around you let him hit. It brings more value than Wisdom does going forward.

They were split on Luke Little and I see him as a great set up next year. Rosters should clear out a bit and cutting some arb 1 guys makes sense. You can place this SS on the roster and never look back

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hmmm his pitching form reminds me of Tom Glavine. Similar stuff. Hides the ball the same way.

Thought that was interesting at least

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Aug. 24: LHP Drew Smyly expected to move to Cubs' bullpen
Prior to Thursday's game in Pittsburgh, Cubs president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer noted that the team's current plan called for Smyly to return to the bullpen. That means Chicago will need to name a starting pitcher for Sunday's game against the Pirates at PNC Park.

Smyly allowed seven runs in 3 2/3 innings against the Tigers on Tuesday, giving the veteran lefty an 8.03 ERA in his past 14 appearances for Chicago.

The primary option to replace Smyly from the MLB staff is righty Hayden Wesneski. If Chicago opts to look at the farm system, lefty Jordan Wicks (No. 10 on MLB Pipeline's Top 30 Cubs Prospects list and a first-round pick in the '21 Draft) is one possibility. Wicks, 23, has gone 7-0 with a 3.55 ERA in 91 1/3 innings between Double-A and Triple-A this season, and he was scratched from his scheduled start on Wednesday with Iowa.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Tough call is who gets the shaft. Wisdom has to be #1 on the list. #2 Miles Mastrobuoni