Fat Lady is Warming up her Vocals....She Sang

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A few hot hitting games and now candy is going to be a 20 mil per year player ???

The same guy that struggled to get a 1 year deal for 5 mil

Happens. Players strike when the iron is hot.

5/85 is fair for his service

You can say the same about Bellinger. Prior to this year hos O has been trash. Now he should command all star level pay.

Jamier has been a bit of a yo-yo over his career. Hitting .200 for a year or 2 then going to .270 hitter the next two. Last year was another down swing but this year became a upswing

So he is a tale of two outcomes. Jed grabbed the good one.

Long term. Something would have to change and he would have to figure out why he has been off on again in his mechanics before investing.

I would not give a player over 100M when you don't know which hitter you will get each year. I would pay for a constant approach.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The best option IMO is get Suzuki fixed. Get PCA MLB ready and move Bellenger to 1B full time.

3B becomes the issue and Mad is not hurting the team when healthy. But he is really not helping it either. I don't think that you could go into a season as a play off team with Mad as your everyday 3B.

The market will have a solid F/A in Matt Chapman. Seeing how the market will be lacking he will get paid premium for his services.

That said I don't feel that Jed should get into a bidding war with NYY and LAD. both should be in.

Jamier is 2nd tier and far more cost effective.

System wise Shaw and Triantos are at A ball. So you can not bank on a 1 year bridge to get to them. Shaw is more advanced but at best 2025 vs helping next year.

So Longoria could be a reasonable investment if you feel good about Shaw's development and adaptiveness to pro ball.

If you have a 2-3 year window in mind then Jamier makes sense if he will take a 2-3 year deal.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Happens. Players strike when the iron is hot.

5/85 is fair for his service

You can say the same about Bellinger. Prior to this year hos O has been trash. Now he should command all star level pay.

Jamier has been a bit of a yo-yo over his career. Hitting .200 for a year or 2 then going to .270 hitter the next two. Last year was another down swing but this year became a upswing

So he is a tale of two outcomes. Jed grabbed the good one.

Long term. Something would have to change and he would have to figure out why he has been off on again in his mechanics before investing.

I would not give a player over 100M when you don't know which hitter you will get each year. I would pay for a constant approach.
Wait. Hold on. What on earth are you saying?

You are replying to a comment about Candelario, in which the phrase “a few hot games” was used and you responded “you could say the same about Bellinger”.

You also went on to say, regarding Bellinger, “prior to this year, his offense has been trash”. I believe more accurately you should be saying “in the two years immediately preceding this year his offense has been down”.

Saying that his offense has been trash prior to this year makes it sound as though this is the first year in which Bellinger ‘s offense has not been trash, and that is obviously ridiculous as the man was terrific offensively, and has an MVP award to show for it.

Additionally, I don’t even think I would use the word “trash” to describe his last two years. I would say it is way down, and his batting average was trash, but he was playing through injury and coming back from injury, and even at that point his home run total eclipsed all Cubs outfielders.

But the main point is, he is not commanding an all star level salary next season and beyond simply because of his offense thus far in 2023, and certainly not because of “a few hot games“

And oh, by the way, the author, Pence also comes at a Premium defensive position, where he is terrific as well, and he has the versatility to play outfield and first base. That’s worth a lot of money too.

Regarding Candelario, I don’t know where you are. One day you’re suggesting the Cubs should resign him and also suggesting he could get 15 to 20,000,000 per year. When called on it you then say he’s been inconsistent and you would not want to pay for that. So do you want to resign him? Do you not want to resign him? What do you think he’s actually worth?

He’s not a very well rounded player. He’s decent defensively at best. His offense is good, but has not been great over full seasons.

I would not mind having him at third going forward if they don’t have a better option but I would hope for a better option. And he hasn’t impressed me at first. But mostly I can’t figure out what you’re saying you want.

Last edited:

Castor76

Liked Posts:
A few hot hitting games and now candy is going to be a 20 mil per year player ???

The same guy that struggled to get a 1 year deal for 5 mil

All it takes is one owner/GM who convinces himself the guy is worth it. Happens all the time. Josh Donaldson got more coming off similar years from the Yankees. He's more a 12-15M guy, but people get desperate when the market is thin.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Did the Cubbies just take 2 of 3 from the team with the best record in baseball while one of those games being a pure bullpen game and pull into a tie for the last playoff spot? It's almost like being healthy really means something.

Just goes to show Jed really has no idea what he's doing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Did the Cubbies just take 2 of 3 from the team with the best record in baseball while one of those games being a pure bullpen game and pull into a tie for the last playoff spot? It's almost like being healthy really means something.

Just goes to show Jed really has no idea what he's doing.

Smyly scares me going forward. Stro most likely self corrects and lingering injury was the reason. Smyly just fell off the table.

Hendricks I don't trust in a play off game. Last game is far too telling.

So they are a starter short to be trusted in a series. They got by game 2 by having the start switch before the Braves got locked in on him. But that will torch a pen doing that frequently

I do like Assad in as the first arm up. Play offs tend to be get to the 5th before that O gets to you. Having a 2 inning guy makes sense bridging to the late innings. Braves got Steele to 100 pitches in the 5th. They will grind and middle relief is going to have to be strengthened.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Smyly scares me going forward. Stro most likely self corrects and lingering injury was the reason. Smyly just fell off the table.

Hendricks I don't trust in a play off game. Last game is far too telling.

So they are a starter short to be trusted in a series. They got by game 2 by having the start switch before the Braves got locked in on him. But that will torch a pen doing that frequently

I do like Assad in as the first arm up. Play offs tend to be get to the 5th before that O gets to you. Having a 2 inning guy makes sense bridging to the late innings. Braves got Steele to 100 pitches in the 5th. They will grind and middle relief is going to have to be strengthened.

In no way do I think this series makes the Cubs a WS fave or contender. I just think they are one of the 4 best teams in the NL, especially when healthy. But after that first game, you would have thought by the reactions of some that the Cubs were about to get swept out of baseball.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
All it takes is one owner/GM who convinces himself the guy is worth it. Happens all the time. Josh Donaldson got more coming off similar years from the Yankees. He's more a 12-15M guy, but people get desperate when the market is thin.
Josh Donaldson was a former MVP who had two other seasons in Top 5 of voting. Candelario doesn’t have that.

Not saying the contract the Yankees gave him was a good decision, but so far we’ve compared Candelario to two MVPs.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
In no way do I think this series makes the Cubs a WS fave or contender. I just think they are one of the 4 best teams in the NL, especially when healthy. But after that first game, you would have thought by the reactions of some that the Cubs were about to get swept out of baseball.
Should have sold. Then, they could complain Jed punted the season

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Am I allowed to say that I am very happy with the Cubs’ recent play, and I really like taking five of seven from two first place teams, including two of three from the best team in baseball?

I would like to point out this does not mean I am scheduling PTO to attend a WS parade.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Fly the W!!!!

Szlachcic

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs

Cubbies could possibly sweep the Braves if Hendriks wouldn't shit the bed in the first game..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
By Nick Deeds | August 6, 2023 at 2:32pm CDT

The Cubs surprised much of the baseball world with their play in recent weeks, which pushed them to add third baseman Jeimer Candelario at the trade deadline rather than deal away rental players like Cody Bellinger and Marcus Stroman. With the focus now firmly on a push toward making the playoffs in 2023, the club appears to be shortening the leash of struggling players.

That includes outfielder Seiya Suzuki, who the Cubs spent nearly $100MM to add to the club’s roster prior to the 2022 campaign between Suzuki’s five-year, $85MM contract and the posting fee owed to the Hiroshima Carp as payment for Suzuki’s services. In 111 games with the Cubs last year, Suzuki played solidly in his rookie season, with a .262/.336/.433 slash line that was good for a wRC+ of 116. Suzuki began the 2023 campaign on the injured list due to an oblique issue, but got off to a fantastic start when he was back in action, slashing .293/.385/.487 with a 12.6% walk rate in 174 trips to the plate through the end of May.

Unfortunately, Suzuki’s offense has cratered since then, as he’s mustered just a .214/.281/.310 slash line in 210 plate appearances since the calendar flipped to June. That’s brought his overall campaign below league average by measure of wRC+ (96) in 2023, and while he’s played excellent defense in right field, Cubs manager David Ross indicated to reporters (including The Athletic’s Sahadev Sharma) recently that Suzuki would not be an everyday player going forward until he gets things back on track. “He knows he needs to work on some things,” Ross said of Suzuki, “It’s hard to do that in-game. We’ll give him some time, and he’ll be back in there when we feel like he can help us win games.”

It seems that journeyman outfielder Mike Tauchman, who came to the Cubs on a minor league deal during the offseason but has impressed with a .277/.371/.431 slash line (121 wRC+) in 238 trips to the plate since joining the roster back in May, will receive the lion’s share of playing time in right field, with Suzuki making occasional starts when he or Ian Happ have a day off or when Cody Bellinger moves from center field to first base. The Cubs are 2.5 games back of Milwaukee in the NL Central and 1.0 game back of Cincinnati for the final NL Wild Card spot entering play today.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Am I allowed to say that I am very happy with the Cubs’ recent play, and I really like taking five of seven from two first place teams, including two of three from the best team in baseball?

I would like to point out this does not mean I am scheduling PTO to attend a WS parade.
I'll be happy if they continue to prove me wrong.

Also, jed has a lot of work to do to prove he isn't terrible at his job. But at least he has some here who defend him when the cubs go on a hot streak and get to 4 games over .500

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Rotation is the weak spot.

Mets: Smyly, Taillon and Hendricks (Shite team So all 3 starters should be fine)
Thursday off
Friday TBD. vs Blue Jays
Here is where Stoman would start again. Assad is the place holder.

If Stoman returns
Stroman/Steele/Smyly. IMO Smyly is on a short leash vs a Play off quality team.

So Smyly has to get back to early season form soon.

Apr 3.21 ERA
May: 3.09 ERA
Jun: 5.81 ERA
Jul: 6.65 ERA

So I am under the opinion that Jed needs to make a change here. I don't think he will but he needs to.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cubbies could possibly sweep the Braves if Hendriks wouldn't shit the bed in the first game..
Kinda tough to win when you don't score......

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'll be happy if they continue to prove me wrong.

Also, jed has a lot of work to do to prove he isn't terrible at his job. But at least he has some here who defend him when the cubs go on a hot streak and get to 4 games over .500
I agree. The General MisManager has already set back the rebuild by not dumping any of the clown show he brought in here and holding on to Stroman so long as to make his golden goose ass untradable. The damage has already been done....might as well stick with it till it plays out. They are in a good postion now....softer schedule and pretty damn healthy....the division is in reach. Really don't believe they can get very deep if they even make it....the pitching isn't very good on any level.

Plus I'm really hoping I'm wrong about Candy....not long term by any stretch....but for this season only. He's having a year much like Stroman did earlier but he's a lifetime .240 hitter, an average glove at best and below average power. I'd offer him a Prove It one year deal and if he doesn't want it....he can walk.

Bellinger on the other hand.....I'd love to resign him. Excellent glove at two positions, power, speed and a Top Ten hitter. He's the whole package.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jamier has either been this hitter or Wisdom. We got the good version.

His issue is constantly year to year. Over all a risky investment and going over one year is a gamble. But the market will be shallow and someone will pay.