I think the Bears are going to move quick and hire Josh McDaniels

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I think McDaniels is less risky for Trubisky's career than any other possible candidate. Him paired with a good D Coordinator, possibly Fangio, and this team will make the playoffs next year.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I think McDaniels is less risky for Trubisky's career than any other possible candidate. Him paired with a good D Coordinator, possibly Fangio, and this team will make the playoffs next year.

Don’t like McDaniels, but if it’s him—From your keyboard to the football gods’ ears.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Yep, you may be joking, but i'd believe it. Evidence is that the Patriot's offense didn't skip a beat when McDaniels wasn't there. So, I don't really know how much McDaniels has to do with the success in NE

Wasnt Charlie Weis the previous mastermind of the Patriots offense?

HAVOCONE

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need a seasoned HC, and 1 the players will respect. we all seen what happened during the trestman tenure.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasnt Charlie Weis the previous mastermind of the Patriots offense?

Yea he was. He flamed out after leaving NE. BOB was the other OC in NE and he has been decent in Houston, but nothing like he was in NE

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Based on what? Why would he be less of a risk than Shurmur, who has had as much if not more success with Qb's than McDaniels, and people actually like? Ahem....Tim Tebow anyone?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Based on what? Why would he be less of a risk than Shurmur, who has had as much if not more success with Qb's than McDaniels, and people actually like? Ahem....Tim Tebow anyone?

Not saying McDaniels definitely wouldn’t work out, but I tend to agree with you.

McDaniels’ success has come ONLY with Brady under center.

Shurmur made Keenum a top 10/12 QB.

DeFilippo helped make mistake-prone Wentz into an MVP candidate

Nagy made Alex Smith look great (best QB rating in the league)

Reactions: Myk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
McDaniels has also won games with Matt Cassel, Jimmy G, Jacoby Brissett and turned Brian Hoyer into a reasonable NFL QB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Other than Keenum losing his mind is their a single starting QB in the NFL that is a product of Shurmurs coaching?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Other than Keenum losing his mind is their a single starting QB in the NFL that is a product of Shurmurs coaching?

He worked with Donovan Mcnabb for years who has also said nothing but good things about him.

He helped Sam Bradford win ROY and Bradford loves working with him.

Got to Cleveland and was saddled with rubbish unfortunately.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is something urgent about the head coaching search.

Really what made me think so was when the Bears requested to interview George Edwards.

They already had Wilks coming in next week if they wanted to satisfy the Rooney Rule. However, what if they did not want to wait until next week? If they had their group of guys, why not wait until you meet with Wilks to satisfy the Rooney Rule?

To me, the fact that they want to interview George Edwards this week means they want a decision made quickly.

What this also says to me is that they know who they want already.

It would be someone who they are interviewing this week. Which means it would be either Shurmur, McDaniels, or DeFillipo.

There is another interesting component to this as well. Ben McDaniels is already an offensive assistant on the Chicago Bears staff. He is someone who has been a quarterbacks coach before. And he is someone Pace can use as a direct line to McDaniels without needing to worry about tampering charges.

The other interesting nugget that is just pure speculation on my part but I am considering none the less is whether or not they are using this week to interview people as head coaches with the thought in mind that they would actually be coordinators under Josh McDaniels.

George Edwards and coach Flip both have contracts that expire as soon as their teams lose.

It is entirely possible that coach Flip is the Adam gase of a few years ago when we all thought he was a head coach candidate but people felt he was too young still to hire.

At the very least, with McDaniels antics, if he still has a bit of asshole to him, coach Flip would be able to be a good cop to McDaniels bad cop. Plus with two creative Geniuses in the building, they could perhaps develop something really special in terms of an offensive scheme.

Even more important is the fact that Josh would it be inheriting a very young team. This would be different from Denver where you had veterans set in their ways and pissed off at a coach shaking up the routines. A younger team would be more open to how McDaniels wants to do things.

Let me say that McDaniels is not my primary choice. However, if I am reading things right and of course I certainly could be wrong, I think McDaniels is the guy and we will see how the coordinator positions piece out from there.

It may be that they never even get to Nagy. They may do their due diligence if he is available on Monday ( not 100% sure on the league rules but I think he can interview after their game on Sunday), but especially if they have George Edwards already interviewed, and if Nagy cannot interview until later in the week, I would not be surprised if the Bears announced it this coming Monday. If Nagy can interview on Monday, I would expect an announcement on Tuesday.

Even if I am wrong on McDaniels, I suspect that the timeline would be the same. And if not McDaniels, it would be either Shurmur or Flip.

Just my feel right now. I could be completely wrong.

But I think George and Ted are going along because everyone knows among those three who they want and they want as much of a deal structurally in place as possible in order to move lightning quick.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Interesting I was thinking the same thing when the Edwards interview popped up.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
McDaniels has also won games with Matt Cassel, Jimmy G, Jacoby Brissett and turned Brian Hoyer into a reasonable NFL QB.

And all three of them also had a big assist from Tom Brady.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Bradford/Foles

Bradford did well under Shurmur his rookie year, then declined sharply under McDaniels.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He worked with Donovan Mcnabb for years who has also said nothing but good things about him.

You forgot to add what he got out of Foles in Philly.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Shurmur seems to be the safest pick. And I think Sweaty Teddy would go with him if he can get him.
Would love to see DeFilippo as OC though if nothing else.

Mitchapalooza

Since the Pats are in the playoffs, can we "unofficially" have an agreement with McDaniels if both sides agree on a deal?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

I followed Cleveland a lot then and surprised the hatred of the hire then at that time hasn't stayed as is.

Sam Bradford had one of the shortest throwing offenses with Shurmur. He didn't stray from that any stop I've really noticed significantly. But Bradford was relying on that short passes to Danny Amendola but the team never amounted to much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I followed Cleveland a lot then and surprised the hatred of the hire then at that time hasn't stayed as is.

Sam Bradford had one of the shortest throwing offenses with Shurmur. He didn't stray from that any stop I've really noticed significantly. But Bradford was relying on that short passes to Danny Amendola but the team never amounted to much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1. I honestly can't hold anything that happens in Cleveland against him. Everything connected to that franchise is just pitiful and the talent he had was horrible on offense.

2. He put Bradford in a position that would help him succeed as a rookie. His offense with Bradford and Keenum this season hasn't been your dink and dunk offense at all.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Since the Pats are in the playoffs, can we "unofficially" have an agreement with McDaniels if both sides agree on a deal?

Its not like you're poaching a coach. They can't do shit about head coaching hires. As long as you've observed the Rooney rule of course.

Mitchapalooza

Its not like you're poaching a coach. They can't do shit about head coaching hires. As long as you've observed the Rooney rule of course.
No i mean like do we gotta wait til they get knocked out of the playoffs to sign anything with McDaniels? Or can he be like "yeah once we lose/win the Superbowl I'm your guy"

Last edited by a moderator: