I think the Bears are going to move quick and hire Josh McDaniels

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
if pace really thinks mcdaniels is the guy and is willing to put his own career on the line, i can jive with that

pace has a clear vision for this team that he's built so far, and if he wants to hook his wagon onto mcdaniels rather than defilippo/nagy/shurmur, then that's what it's gonna be.

he talks about conviction, so if he's all-in on a candidate, i can see a quick hire happening. i don't want it to drag out, watch coaches get hired while we got our dicks in our hands, and have to settle for someone that's not those top 4.

Counterpoint: they rushed the Fox hire and it was a disaster.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is no Shannahan this year, we are going to have to accept some warts.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
There is no Shannahan this year, we are going to have to accept some warts.

Yep, pick your warts/side effects and move on. The correct answer is always weight gain by the way.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It's important to remember Cutler only became Cutler after we switched offensive systems 8 times in 9 years. It's important to remember we fked Cutler up. No QB in history ever became good switching systems every year. Who knows how good he would have been.

Not true. Cutler was always a turnover machine.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
there is a bit to not like about him. He was right about Cutler, yes.......but

he cheated and got caught
he drafted horribly and I mean real bad
he alienated a bunch of players
he acted like a tool and wanted to be the main attraction in Broncos Football
he started wearing a hoodie....seriously, be your own man
his second season in Denver with a bunch of his guys saw the Broncos go 3 and 9 before he was mercifully fired.

Who da fuck are you? Wally Beaver?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure the guy that made a Super Bowl and NFC championship games with the Bears deserves to be included with the others.

He was never a head coach before and bombed in his next NFL HC job. Now hes outta the league like the rest of the bums.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
George Edwards is aboot to be a free agent. He’d be a great defensive coordinator candidate if he doesn’t get a head coaching gig. I don’t see this as a Rooney Rule interview at all.

I don’t either but it does take care of the Rooney rule nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Counterpoint: they rushed the Fox hire and it was a disaster.

The Bears decided on Fox (or it leaked) on Jan. 16. They did coach interviews (including infamously Dan Quinn) before Pace was even hired. It was obviously a mess, although there were some extenuating circumstances, for sure.

Some tangential thoughts on this thread:

Would New York hire two notable assholes in a row?

Does McDaniels seem like a Bears management kind of guy? He doesn’t to me. Wants 53-Man control—that won’t fly with Pace and Teddy. The McCaskeys and Ted won’t like that he’s a strong personality or that he’s an asshole. Is this the type of guy who can sit down with Ted and George and soothe their concerns? And can they convince him they’re not the type to meddle? Can they both #fleece each other at the same time? Impressive.

Why does anyone think the brain trust has the ability to move quickly? Is it because of the swiftness at which they showed Fox the door?

Exit quote from Ben McDaniels of the Bears staff: “Fuck that. Dude’s an asshole.”

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All I can say about Mickey is that I have no doubt if I were the Pats OC, the Pats would still be a top 10 offense. I'd simply call plays from the Madden 18 Pats playbook and let Brady audible to his heart's content.

McDaniels may in fact be some super genius and a great candidate but let's chill on acting like anyone can tell based on what he does in New England.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
All I can say about Mickey is that I have no doubt if I were the Pats OC, the Pats would still be a top 10 offense. I'd simply call plays from the Madden 18 Pats playbook and let Brady audible to his heart's content.

McDaniels may in fact be some super genius and a great candidate but let's chill on acting like anyone can tell based on what he does in New England.

“Four 9 routes again?” (Audibles for a touchdown)

Announcers: “Remy does it again!!”

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
So was Farve. You'll have that with a gunslinger type. Fact is he got worse when he came to the Bears.
I honestly believe he'd of had a much better career had he stayed in Denver. Wasn't in the cards, but still.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
They all have issues.

It is hard for me to look at people who desperately want Flip, but don’t want McDaniels. Flip has called plays for 1 year, has no track record of offensive success and 90% of his career he has been 4-5 spots away from being the top guy.

I have Flip and Nagy as my top guys, but I have to admit they are massive risks.

Which of the names that are being thrown around aren't risks though? Either they've never been a HC or have been a HC with not good results. Haven't seen M.LaFleur's name at all for any interview.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
The Bears decided on Fox (or it leaked) on Jan. 16. They did coach interviews (including infamously Dan Quinn) before Pace was even hired. It was obviously a mess, although there were some extenuating circumstances, for sure.

Some tangential thoughts on this thread:

Would New York hire two notable assholes in a row?

Does McDaniels seem like a Bears management kind of guy? He doesn’t to me. Wants 53-Man control—that won’t fly with Pace and Teddy. The McCaskeys and Ted won’t like that he’s a strong personality or that he’s an asshole. Is this the type of guy who can sit down with Ted and George and soothe their concerns? And can they convince him they’re not the type to meddle? Can they both #fleece each other at the same time? Impressive.

Why does anyone think the brain trust has the ability to move quickly? Is it because of the swiftness at which they showed Fox the door?

Exit quote from Ben McDaniels of the Bears staff: “Fuck that. Dude’s an asshole.”

Hard to say on all counts. If Giants hire McDaniels, what do they do at QB?

As for Bears, I think more than ever the interview process will be critical is weeding out which candidates are too much of a risk.

From all I've read, listened to, I think Pace will have a real bromance with DeFillipo. He's supposedly very commanding, has an impressive and engaging way of presenting concepts, he's a similar age to Pace. I can see them hitting it off and these things do matter.

I have my doubts that someone like Shurmur can have a similar impact in an interview.

McDaniels - everything rests on him being able to explain away Denver and coming across as a slightly matured character. Because nothing else is in doubt really.

Nagy - I actually think the fact he interviews after the three guys above could work against him. I don't think they're in any great rush but it's just human nature that if someone blows you away in an interview then it's tougher to buy in to future interview candidates. A dominant offensive performance vs Titans could obviously change that.

I don't really think anyone else is in the running.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
another possible benefit could be if one of these head coaching candidates wants to keep fangio (assuming fangio wants to stay) that would keep the defensive players satisfied and ensure some continuity and possibly make things easier to sign fuller to an extension knowing the same system will be in place.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Pace: “On the count of 3, we both say what quarterback we’d bang. One...two...”

Pace: “Bernie Kosar!”
DeFilippo: “Bernie Kosar!”

Pace: “Did we just become best friends?!”

DeFilippo: “Yup!”

Pace: “Seriously, though. We already decided on McDaniels.”

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure the guy that made a Super Bowl and NFC championship games with the Bears deserves to be included with the others.

Perhaps not and it was 3 playoff appearances. Problem is that 2 of them were with a DC he let go, who is now in his 4th playoff appearance with a SB since leaving.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I'm actually a bit more relaxed about the coaching search than I was a few weeks back. Partly because all the candidates they are interviewing will be so much better than Fox and partly because I can see how all of them can make Trubisky better.

You could give me any of McDaniels, DeFillipo, Nagy and to a lesser extent Shurmur and I'd see the rationale behind it and be OK with it.

I just think it will be DeFillipo.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
the narrative out there still has mcdaniels to the giants as a foregone conclusion. heard it on espn1000 earlier today that mcdaniels to the bears is slim to none.

didnt that get thrown out the window when they hired gettleman?