If we lose out...

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
If Jace Amaro declares and is available when the Bears pick, would you take him? I sure would.

Not in the first round.

For one, he's already had an ACL injury. Two, he has legal problems and character questions.

And.......we have 2 1000 yard receivers and a pretty good tight end.

Meanwhile............we have possibly the worst defense in football.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The biggest problem on this team right now is the defensive line.

If the first pick in the draft isn't a defensive end or tackle, I'd prefer tackle, then something went wrong.

This thinking also got us Shea McClellin when David DeCastro was available. Can you imagine this OL with DeCastro and Long as the two guards?

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
This thinking also got us Shea McClellin when David DeCastro was available. Can you imagine this OL with DeCastro and Long as the two guards?

Well, when McClellin was drafted we didn't have a real big hole at DE. That was just a bad pick.

Right now we have the worst run defense in the league, maybe the worst run defense this franchise has ever had. We need a defensive end, because Peppers is likely to get cut this offseason. Not due to his ability, due to how much money is on the books for next season.

We need defensive tackles. We need linebackers. We need safeties.

Drafting an offensive player in the first round is quite possibly the dumbest idea I can think of.

Leave the offense as is. Resign Slauson.......use a later pick to find a center to groom for the future. Maybe find a speedy slot receiver if you can. Cut Bush and find a new backup running back. Otherwise, bring back the exact same unit. There is nothing wrong with it.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not in favor of tanking the remainder of the season to gain better draft status. The draft is never a guarantee no matter where you are picking. I would prefer to see this team try to improve and get better each week, specifically on offense.

Furthermore the Lions have at least two more losses left in them. This is the same Lions team that just lost to the Bucs at home. Does that mean that the Bears are a super bowl contender? No, but the experience that comes with a playoff game or two is something to build on as well.

For me you play to win the game. Every game.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The idea that professional players and coaches should/would purposefully perform at a level to guarantee failure is mindbogglingly stupid.

Yes, I'm in favor of a Black Sox version of the Bears. There is a great catchy name right there...the Black Bears. Brilliant thought. Sheer brilliance.

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
It's not about players losing on purpose.

The stupidity is fans wanting a team to lose because they think that a higher pick will equal a better team next year.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Great. Please show proof that the higher the pick, the better the player is.

Because obviously by your logic guys like Jerry Rice, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and so on must have been #1 picks.

Take a look at draft history, pro bowl players per draft slot and you will see you're wrong.

Please explain how saying that getting a higher pick doesn't equal making the team better next year is faulty logic.

I don't have to prove shit to you, it's common sense and logic. If it didn't matter then every educated GM would trade down at every opportunity.

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
I don't have to prove shit to you, it's common sense and logic. If it didn't matter then every educated GM would trade down at every opportunity.

Funny.

Ever notice how frequently the Patriots trade down to get more picks later in the draft?

Once again I will repeat something no one has been able to challenge......................having a higher pick doesn't equal getting the better player nor does it ensure the team will be better next year.

There is no logic or common sense in saying that a higher pick will make the team better.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
DAL, CLE, PHI, GB.

That's our final four.

I think we lose to DAL, PHI, and GB for sure. If we can net a -6-10 season on the heals of a 6 game losing streak, I think it would light a fire under Phil Emery's ass. Additionally, we are currently sitting at the 17th pick in the draft with teams with only 1 less loss than us right in front of us in terms of draft status. This season is lost anyways, Detroit is essentially 2 games ahead of us and there is no way we get the wildcard. I think everyone acknowledges the season is over. I think we have the possibility of getting a top 12 draft pick, maybe even higher. Leave the offense as is and draft for the future of this defense.

Exactly...

Both our coach and our GM have multiple years left in our organization... There is only one opportunity for our GM and head coach to tank a season and get more valuable draft picks without losing there jobs.. and that is this year...

What is most important to the Chicago Bears organization should be winning championships... The earlier you pick the better chance you have of getting an impact player who lasts a long time in the NFL and who can develop quickly into a star...

Boyd Mettenberger Manziel Bridgewater Hundley Mariota Murray Carr are all possible 1st round picks before pick 15... If even 4 of them are drafted you have a great chance of getting the best player at any other position except for OT and DE... that means you will have a chance at the first or second best player in the draft at almost any position on the board with the 15th pick in the draft or better...

This is also not mentioning Garropolo McCarron Fales Morris who might somehow get drafted earlier in the draft based on a team just really liking them or another team having to reach for a QB because they didn't get there guy in the first round and didn't see the value in them in the second round...

Being able to pick just after all these teams in the draft would give us a huge advantage as far as our draft strategy... We should make the best of a shitty situation and allow our team to draft for the future the one time this front office is allowed to get away with it...

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
The earlier you pick the better chance you have of getting an impact player who lasts a long time in the NFL and who can develop quickly into a star...

Completely 100% BULLSHIT.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Great. Now that you figured that out maybe you could let us know the winning lotto numbers.

Anyone on this board not completely Special person?

Not many... but there are a few of us that aren't

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
Not many... but there are a few of us that aren't

Based on your last post I'm not so sure you belong in the group that isn't.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Fans that actually want to lose to better draft position aren't actually fans.
It depends, are you a fan for just this season or for a championship season? Look at the Colts. Where would they have been without Peyton Manning or now Andrew Luck? The only way they were able to get those QBs was to tank the season before.

Personally I'll never root against my team, but there will reach a point in a season where I'll want to see only young guys in there and I'm happy with them going through the difficult angle of the learning curve.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

it is true... there are statistics to support it...

Andrew Luck #1 overall pick...
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Alex Smith
Cam Newton
Jake Long
Mario Williams
Matt Stafford
Sam Bradford
Carson Palmer
Mike Vick
Keyshawn Johnson...

All of these players played multiple seasons... and are likely to play many more...

Now if you look at say the first player drafted in the 3rd round you are likely to see that many of them never played full seasons let alone multiple seasons in the NFL...

This would prove that you are wrong...

So while I understand your point that its all about drafting the right players... the "right player" aren't always available in the 3rd round or fill the needs of the team that you wish they did...

and this is much easier to do if you have a record to compare to? after all you are just suggesting we pick the best players in the draft without knowing who you actually think the best players are in the draft?

So please post your mock draft for all of us so we can see who you like and so you can say "i told ya so" when you are right about the players you thought we could pick in the 3rd that were passed up on in the 2nd and so on....

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Funny.

Ever notice how frequently the Patriots trade down to get more picks later in the draft?

Once again I will repeat something no one has been able to challenge......................having a higher pick doesn't equal getting the better player nor does it ensure the team will be better next year.

There is no logic or common sense in saying that a higher pick will make the team better.

Yes... They trade down and they also trade for future first round picks...

They stockpile first round picks in order to infuse there team with young talent and develop them all at one time... instead of expecting 1 young player to carry the load for a team...

Its a genius concept...

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
It depends, are you a fan for just this season or for a championship season? Look at the Colts. Where would they have been without Peyton Manning or now Andrew Luck? The only way they were able to get those QBs was to tank the season before.

Personally I'll never root against my team, but there will reach a point in a season where I'll want to see only young guys in there and I'm happy with them going through the difficult angle of the learning curve.

Losing now doesn't automatically equal success later.

You mention the Colts...........how about all the teams that have consistently been bad, consistently had high draft picks, but haven't improved much at all?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:

The probability of getting an impact player keeps getting lower the further down the draft you go. Additionally if you are looking to make any kind of trade how high your picks are (specifically in the first couple rounds) makes a huge difference.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Losing now doesn't automatically equal success later.

You mention the Colts...........how about all the teams that have consistently been bad, consistently had high draft picks, but haven't improved much at all?

I agree that the Colts were lucky in picking the right player and in timing that that guy was available. They got double lucky.

Most of the teams that consistenly get high pick just aren't good at drafting or developing their players. For the Bears you've got to believe that Emery can do right there. Essentially if the Bears tank then Emery has more ammo come the offseason. If you believe in Emery then that's a good thing.

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
it is true... there are statistics to support it...

Andrew Luck #1 overall pick...
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Alex Smith
Cam Newton
Jake Long
Mario Williams
Matt Stafford
Sam Bradford
Carson Palmer
Mike Vick
Keyshawn Johnson...

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Jerry Rice
Lance Briggs
Brandon Marshall
Matt Forte
Jay Ratliff

Or wait.......let's flip this

Ki-jana Carter
David Carr
Courtney Brown
JaMarcus Russell
Curtin Enis
Steve Emtman
Aunbray Bruce

Want me to keep going?

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
and this is much easier to do if you have a record to compare to? after are just suggesting we pick the best players in the draft without knowing who you actually think the best players are in the draft?

So please post your mock draft for all of us so we can see who you like and so you can say "i told ya so" when you are right about the players you thought we could pick in the 3rd that were passed up on in the 2nd and so on....

All I am saying, dipshit, is that losing now doesn't equal success later. And there is no data you can provide that says it does.

It's real simple.