Is Trubisky being developed with this playcalling?

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Although he's not throwing alot of passes, Trubisky is developing with every snap.

With every snap under center, he's developing.
With every drop back, he's improving his footwork.
With every read of the defense before the snap, he's getting more familiar with NFL defenses.
With every progression, he gets more comfortable.
With every second in the pocket, he develops his pocket awareness.
With every handoff, he builds muscle memory.
With every call in the huddle or on the line, he gains leadership experience.
With every practice with the first team, he gets used to his position.

There is more to being a QB than the physical act of throwing the football. This guy has had 15 games started. He is raw and unrefined. You can't rush this process of chipping away at the rock to produce a nice sculpture. People on here are just so impatient.

Watson has around 30 games of starting experience over Trubisky if I'm not mistaken. Plus he's got the better offense around him. He's been in bigger games in college.

Everyone needs to chill out. If Trubisky is still throwing 8 passes by the last couple of games of the season, then we can start worrying.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Meatballs are the ones that only focus on one week and celebrate the fact that they made a couple plays, that won't happen every week, and won the game.

Trubisky's development is key to winning in weeks 11-17 when the defense gets off of this torrid pace of scoring.

The Bears may throw 25 times against the Saints, but I don't think it will be because of the matchup and more because the defense won't provide free points.

I am pretty sure you listen to the Patriots and they all talk about how they take it one game at a time. Now next up is the Saints. You are trying to project from this game some harbinger of the future which makes no sense. The best times focus on beating that week's opponent. Period.

The key to winning weeks 11-17 is game planning to beat those specific teams during those specific weeks. And if the D doesn't provide free points then the matchup or circumstances will dictate he will have to throw more. That's as it should be so not sure your point. You play to win the game. The Bears won 2 out of 3. Now it's on to the next opponent.

You are trying to artificially plan for development when the process is generally natural. Trubisky will learn based on the flow of that particular game, that particular week. Then it's on to the next game and the next opponent. When it is all send and done, whether he develops will be based on his ability to take what he's learned and put it together. That is an organic process and not one that you can simply force by deciding on some arbitrary number of passes he has to have each week.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am pretty sure you listen to the Patriots and they all talk about how they take it one game at a time. Now next up is the Saints. You are trying to project from this game some harbinger of the future which makes no sense. The best times focus on beating that week's opponent. Period.

The key to winning weeks 11-17 is game planning to beat those specific teams during those specific weeks. And if the D doesn't provide free points then the matchup or circumstances will dictate he will have to throw more. That's as it should be so not sure your point. You play to win the game. The Bears won 2 out of 3. Now it's on to the next opponent.

You are trying to artificially plan for development when the process is generally natural. Trubisky will learn based on the flow of that particular game, that particular week. Then it's on to the next game and the next opponent. When it is all send and done, whether he develops will be based on his ability to take what he's learned and put it together. That is an organic process and not one that you can simply force by deciding on some arbitrary number of passes he has to have each week.

He needs to be ready to throw more.

You can take an oppuruntiy where your defense is dominating to get him more reps and more comfortable throwing the ball.

If he is going to be called on to throw 30 times against the Saints it is hard to see him being prepared for that based on what he has been allowed to run the last couple of weeks.

QB is a unique position and because of its importance the development and improvement of the QB has a huge impact on the success of the team. I don't think the last 2 weeks did nearly as much as they could to prepare Trubisky for the Saints as they could have.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This would be like asking a guy to hit 4 3s in a basketball game.

But you have only given him 1 shot a game previously.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This would be like asking a guy to hit 4 3s in a basketball game.

But you have only given him 1 shot a game previously.

The guy practices 3's every day in practice. If you pass him the ball and he is open then yes he should hit them. Like you have this completely backwards sense as if the only way a guy can perform is if he has done something in a live game before. There is always a first time in a live game. There is no point for that first time to be any time prior to when it is necessary.

I wouldn't just force feed a guy 4 3s even when he wasn't open just to get it out of the way. I play to win the game and then if the next game requires him to knock down 4 3s because now he is open unlike the previous game then that is when I expect him to knock down the shot.

His chances should come during the natural flow of the game. Not from you force feeding him based on some distorted sense of trying to develop him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He needs to be ready to throw more.

You can take an oppuruntiy where your defense is dominating to get him more reps and more comfortable throwing the ball.

If he is going to be called on to throw 30 times against the Saints it is hard to see him being prepared for that based on what he has been allowed to run the last couple of weeks.

QB is a unique position and because of its importance the development and improvement of the QB has a huge impact on the success of the team. I don't think the last 2 weeks did nearly as much as they could to prepare Trubisky for the Saints as they could have.

He practices every week. You don't risk losing just to get practice time in. You get practice time in on the practice field.

What will prepare Trubisky for the Saints is the practice and film work he puts in this week in preparation to face them.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I will also point out, we passed 25 times against the Vikings. Not because they felt better about that matchup but because the circumstances dictated it. The game was much closer and the Bears were never out in front significantly enough to play it say.

The lack of passes the past two games has nothing to do with the offense regressing or any such nonsense. It has to do with the Bears building 2 score leads and the focus being on protecting the game. The fact Trubisky unlike his predecessors did so and didn't get stupid like Cutler or some Bears fans would because they just have to make a flashy play bodes well for his future.

This is exactly why he only had 6 interceptions at Carolina. He generally wasn't stupid enough to play outside of what the game circumstances dictated. That's as valuable a lesson to develop as a young QB as any.

This is from Sun times because you can’t seem to reason with posters here are saying:

“The rookie either will force Fox to do it through his progress or an opponent will do it. It’s in the Bears’ best interests that the latter doesn’t happen.”

It’s more favorable to Trubisky to be passing the ball when his team is up and not forced to try and make a comeback.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
This is from Sun times because you can’t seem to reason with posters here are saying:

“The rookie either will force Fox to do it through his progress or an opponent will do it. It’s in the Bears’ best interests that the latter doesn’t happen.”

It’s more favorable to Trubisky to be passing the ball when his team is up and not forced to try and make a comeback.

This is saying that Trubisky is not ready yet. And hopefully, he becomes ready before he is forced to throw to win a game. Imagine if we had lost the last 2 games because of interceptions by Trubisky. How would that affect the development of our OTHER players such as Amos, Jackson, Fuller, Floyd? They would be devastated. They've worked so hard all season long and finally are seeing results and the stupid QB gives the ball away just like that. Isn't this the reason Glennon lost the starting position?

You can't rush Trubisky's development. Every start he gets he's developing. He doesn't have to be physically throwing many passes to gain experience.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

No it really isn't. That's just some arbitrary desire that you guys are passing off as fact. There is no statistical support for the idea that passing while ahead is more beneficial to a QB learning than waiting until the game actually requires it. You've just decided that the former makes you feel better than the latter. That is you and the Sun Times right. That doesn't have anything to do with how an NFL coach with a responsibility to 53 players on the team should game plan. He should game plan to win the game.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is saying that Trubisky is not ready yet. And hopefully, he becomes ready before he is forced to throw to win a game. Imagine if we had lost the last 2 games because of interceptions by Trubisky. How would that affect the development of our OTHER players such as Amos, Jackson, Fuller, Floyd? They would be devastated. They've worked so hard all season long and finally are seeing results and the stupid QB gives the ball away just like that. Isn't this the reason Glennon lost the starting position?

You can't rush Trubisky's development. Every start he gets he's developing. He doesn't have to be physically throwing many passes to gain experience.

Exactly, these guys don't get it. It's like no one else but Trubisky matters. Fuck winning, Fuck all the other players busting their ass.

It's insane. We won the game. The D deserves a coach that will do what is in the best interest of them winning. Trubisky needs to develop within that context not by forcing things that increase the risk of him throwing a pick like at Minnesota. The idea I would throw more passes while up and increase the risk of Trubisky letting the team back into the game is Special person.

There will be plenty of times this season when the D doesn't score two TDs. There will be plenty of times when we will need his arm to win the game. I'll wait until it is necessary before I try and force things. Particularly when he doesn't have Hopkins or Fuller.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
No it really isn't. That's just some arbitrary desire that you guys are passing off as fact. There is no statistical support for the idea that passing while ahead is more beneficial to a QB learning than waiting until the game actually requires it. You've just decided that the former makes you feel better than the latter. That is you and the Sun Times right. That doesn't have anything to do with how an NFL coach with a responsibility to 53 players on the team should game plan. He should game plan to win the game.

You don’t need statistics to understand that it’s more difficult for an offense when they are in predictable situations like obvious passing downs, like playing catch up or in 3rd and long. This concept isn’t real hard to understand...

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Exactly, these guys don't get it. It's like no one else but Trubisky matters. Fuck winning, Fuck all the other players busting their ass.

It's insane. We won the game. The D deserves a coach that will do what is in the best interest of them winning. Trubisky needs to develop within that context not by forcing things that increase the risk of him throwing a pick like at Minnesota. The idea I would throw more passes while up and increase the risk of Trubisky letting the team back into the game is Special person.

There will be plenty of times this season when the D doesn't score two TDs. There will be plenty of times when we will need his arm to win the game. I'll wait until it is necessary before I try and force things. Particularly when he doesn't have Hopkins or Fuller.

And this is the problem, you would only wait until you have to to let Trubisky pass the ball. You’d never be ahead of the sticks so to speak. It’s no different that our game plan of run, run, pass... only pass when you absolutely have to lol.

Anyway, it’s been fun. I think I’ve made my point and I’m not going to beat a dead horse.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Of course the problem is that the Bear wide receivers don't get open. How can Trubisky develop throwing to receivers who are not open?

It's what happens when you have the worst group of receivers in the NFL.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
It's definitely better to have him out there than not, but yes, this offensive gameplan is hindering his development. Limiting his pass attempts makes it more difficult for him to calibrate the timing of his throws, dissecting defenses, and knowing where he can and can't fit some of them into windows. Also, not giving him the ability to audible out of a play is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

If this is about John Fox trying to save his job, then Ryan Pace just needs to tell him he's already fired, so just go out and let the kid make his mistakes :).

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, it’s developing him.

These 1st 3 starts of his, has been a trial by fire. He stayed composed, and has made impact plays in each of the 3 games.

I’ve seen him make improvements each game over the last.

This game specially, his ball securement in the pocket has been better than the last 2 starts.

Sacked 4 times, he never lost the ball. And even through all that, he kept his eyes downfield.

He also never let frustration get ahold of him.

I’m not worried about him lighting up the stat sheet right now. I’m worried about him learning the game, and working on improving week to week.

He isn’t taking any shortcuts, and it will make him a better QB when all is said and done.

He has faced some really exotic looks, and highly talented, pro bowl riddled front 7’s.

Right now, he’s playing within the framework the coaches have set for him, and is learning from his mistakes.

I’m loving what I’m seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You don’t need statistics to understand that it’s more difficult for an offense when they are in predictable situations like obvious passing downs, like playing catch up or in 3rd and long. This concept isn’t real hard to understand...

That's not what we are talking about.

This statement doesn't mean it's predictable situations. A D forcing him to do it could simply mean we are behind 7-0 in the first so the Bears pass more. Hence why against the Vikings, Trubisky passed the ball 25 times because we didn't have a lead.

I am fine with waiting until the situation dictates we pass more. I have no problem with passing more against the Vikings in a game for which the Bears didn't have a 2 score lead. I have no problem not passing the ball a ton when we are up 2 scores. Seems pretty simply logic.

And this is the problem, you would only wait until you have to to let Trubisky pass the ball. You’d never be ahead of the sticks so to speak. It’s no different that our game plan of run, run, pass... only pass when you absolutely have to lol.

Anyway, it’s been fun. I think I’ve made my point and I’m not going to beat a dead horse.

Except we were ahead of the sticks because we were protecting a double digit lead. Against the Vikings we trailed so we passed more. I will let Trubisky pass the ball when I think it's the best chance of us winning.

If the coaches think throwing the ball 40 times against a weak Saints D gives us the best chance of winning then I have no problem with that. So you seem confused. My focus is not on limiting Trubisky. It is winning the particular game in question. If you are telling me you think having Trubisky throw more against the Ravens or Vikings would have led to us winning easier then that's one thing.

However, you seem to be arguing we should just let him throw more not because it gives us the best chance of winning but because we need to develop him. Any development of Trubisky needs to be within the context of us seeking the best chances of winning the game. Period. Again, if you think the best chance for us to beat the Saints is to pass the ball a ton then I am open to that argument. If you are going to advocate we should throw not because it's the best chance for us to win but to develop Trubisky then sorry that has no place on a real NFL sideline with real coaches and real players busting their ass out there.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
He wasn't ready. Plain and simple. That's why it's laughable when people try to say he would be doing what Watson has done if he were in the same situation.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

napo55

Liked Posts:
He wasn't ready. Plain and simple. That's why it's laughable when people try to say he would be doing what Watson has done if he were in the same situation.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I agree Watson was further along in his development than Trubisky. But given the fact that Trubisky has no viable wide receivers, it's really hard to compare them. Give Trubisky Watson's group of receivers, and vice-versa, and it's fair to say their stats would be quite a bit different.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
A coach doesn't go into a game worrying about the progression of any one player or the team. A coach goes into a game with a game plan designed to defeat that particular opponent that particular week.

The progression or development is the natural consequence of players accumulating experience in said games. What fans seem to confuse is the chicken for the egg. Wanting them to design plays with Trubiksy's development in mind is backwards. That is not how it works. They design plays to win the game until such time they are eliminated from the playoffs. It is up to Trubisky to soak it all in and develop around the core goal of winning.

What is the best way to develop Trubisky and win games at the same time?

How about not running an obvious:

run on first down, repeat if it was successful on second, repeat if it was successful on third and punt?

or

run on first down, force Trubisky to pass on second and 12+, force Trubisky to pass it on third and punt?

People are correctly talking about Trubisky having a poor pocket presence when he is passing ... with multiple blitzers coming at him and confusing him.

Did you notice that Trubisky had a clean pocket when he passed it to Cohen for 70 yards? Notice what down it was?

If you didn't, it was 1st down. Suddenly Trubisky looks like an NFL QB when he is in the pocket because he didn't have Carolina sending multiple blitzers on an obvious throwing situation.

Guess which one helps Trubisky's development and the team to win?

Right now, an offense that is not so obvious, even with dink and dunk passes, is going to help Trubisky's development more and is going to help the Bears control the clock because it will have less 3 and outs.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
8 passes is really to few for this to be as meaningful in the process as it should be. This was a screwy game with the lack of time of possession, but still need to allow him to do a little more.

I agree a coach must coach to win games. Unfortunately I disagree with not needing to also be thinking about developing the QB.

They are not going to win many games if their QB is only capable of 4/7 for 100 yards. That requires some opportunity to advance as a passer.

Hundley (12-25, 87 YDS, 1 INT) is looking at those stats with envy.