Is Trubisky being developed with this playcalling?

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
I'm not disputing that run, run, pass, punt is bad. It should be mixed up more. But I would argue against increasing the pass plays for the sake of getting Tru some experience.

Also, I am absolutely sure that Tru has developed into a better QB in just the last 3 games. He beat himself up after that INT against Minny. Since then he hasn't thrown an INT and throws the ball away. He also beat himself up after fumbling the ball on a sack. This past game, you can see him curl up to protect the ball during a sack. In my eyes, he's become overly cautious. It might also be the coaches hounding him about protecting the football. But with more experience, he'll find a happy medium.

I'm not worried about him throwing the football. We all know he can do those already. What he needs to learn is reading defenses, changing protection, calling audibles, game and time management, etc. Those are the things that he's learning even without throwing a single pass. Also, just getting used to taking a snap under center is beneficial.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
and then if the next game requires him to knock down 4 3s because now he is open unlike the previous game then that is when I expect him to knock down the shot.

His chances should come during the natural flow of the game. Not from you force feeding him based on some distorted sense of trying to develop him.
Therein lies your problem.

The Bears are force feeding Howard the 3s. Everyone knows it. The other team is sending everyone to cover Howard. Howard chucks up a clunker, the other team gets the rebound.

Lucky for the Bears, they got 10 steals at the start of the game and built a 20 point lead.

Now the Bears coaches are trying to win the game by playing great defense and having Howard run down the 24 second shot clock and then chucking up clunker after clunker.

Wouldn't it be easier to win this way:

Lucky for the Bears, they got 10 steals at the start of the game and built a 20 point lead.

they pass the ball around so that the defense can't simply just cover Howard?

perhaps, with their passing, Trubisky is open for a 3 ... or even a layup ... or how about a rebound?

How about, because of the passing, Howard ends up open for a 3, instead of all of the contested 3s he is taking?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So that leaves us in a bit of a situation. John Fox's goals are not neccasserily in the best interest of the team long term, Long term developing Trubisky is more important.

I don't begrudge John Fox for trying to win games and save his job. I begrudge Pace for having a coach here who is not aligned with the development of the franchise QB.

This x 1,000.

These are my biggest concerns right now. And I don't like the little narrative today that we need to shut up and enjoy our 2-game win-streak or we're just being negative nancies.

We all like to win. But I need to see more from this offense. If this defense can carry us for years to come... fucking awesome. But our defense is not going to be our offense in very many games. Today was a freak occurrence. The D bailed us out when the offense could only muster 3 points. Although, only mustering 3 points was more about sitting on the ball and playing like bitches because our coaching staff is shit. If Fox was a better coach, we would have won that game by 4 TDs with big contributions from our defense as well as the running game and the passing game.

I'm really concerned that if we become a .500-ish team, that our sub-par coaching staff will be given a pass for another season.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'm not disputing that run, run, pass, punt is bad. It should be mixed up more. But I would argue against increasing the pass plays for the sake of getting Tru some experience.

Also, I am absolutely sure that Tru has developed into a better QB in just the last 3 games. He beat himself up after that INT against Minny. Since then he hasn't thrown an INT and throws the ball away. He also beat himself up after fumbling the ball on a sack. This past game, you can see him curl up to protect the ball during a sack. In my eyes, he's become overly cautious. It might also be the coaches hounding him about protecting the football. But with more experience, he'll find a happy medium.

I'm not worried about him throwing the football. We all know he can do those already. What he needs to learn is reading defenses, changing protection, calling audibles, game and time management, etc. Those are the things that he's learning even without throwing a single pass. Also, just getting used to taking a snap under center is beneficial.

People are making this a black and white situation: basically saying that we are saying that we want Trubsky to channel his inner Favre and start throwing 70 yard bombs so that he can develop his game.

What I am saying is that the OC needs to call passes smarter, not more often. Like when he called a pass play on an obvious running down to Cohen for 70 yards. Keep the defense guessing.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The errant throws from the most accurate rookie tell me he is being harmed. That is assuming the WRs are running to the right spot and they are errant throws.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
A coach doesn't go into a game worrying about the progression of any one player or the team. A coach goes into a game with a game plan designed to defeat that particular opponent that particular week.

The progression or development is the natural consequence of players accumulating experience in said games. What fans seem to confuse is the chicken for the egg. Wanting them to design plays with Trubiksy's development in mind is backwards. That is not how it works. They design plays to win the game until such time they are eliminated from the playoffs. It is up to Trubisky to soak it all in and develop around the core goal of winning.
thank you. someone finally gets it

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Bomb to Cohen on 1st down up 14 to 3, looked pretty good huh...

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The errant throws from the most accurate rookie tell me he is being harmed. That is assuming the WRs are running to the right spot and they are errant throws.

All 3 errant passes?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The Bears can help Trubisky by not running into single high safety on first and second down then throwing on 3rd and long. They ran the ball into some zero looks yesterday too. That is madness. When the defense goes zero early, you HAVE to throw the ball. If any of the receivers get leverage in that look it's a big gain or a score.

Also, just because Whitehair has struggled snapping the ball you can't just scrap the shotgun especially in 3rd and long. Nobody is going to buy play action in that down and distance so it makes sense to give Mitch some space to get a better look at the defense.

The guys that get the all 22 on this board will see what I'm talking about when they've had a chance to review it.

Joeyo_pr

Liked Posts:
I was fine with the Bears running so much against Baltimore. They averaged more than 5 yards per carry. If you average 5 yards per carry, you keep running until something changes. In the Panthers game; we had 3 yards per carry. If you can't run; you need to pass, doesn't matter if you are ahead. The Bears played not to lose yesterday, I hate that mentality. We have to play to win.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
JOhn Fox coached the worst game of football imaginable today. He risked a helluva lot of defensive injuries with the terrible mismanagement of play calls. Two games in a row and he refused to allow the offense to be an offense. He is a total joke as a coach.

Being at the game it seemed to us that the defense was having fun out there. These men like knocking the snot out of the above and that’s was they did.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
The play calling was horrible. I am just a fan watching from the stands and can guess if the bears or passing or not. Im thrilled the bears won but loggains needs to open up the playbook and start passing more on 1st and 2nd down

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I’ll be pissed if we get down 2 scores and still running this boring offense, but until then I’m good with it. Fox is known for playing leads safe instead of padding them, this isn’t anything new. I could definitely use some option plays if he’s going to run this style, that would at least have made things a bit less predictable

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Also, since no one has mentioned it yet, what happens when the Bears run Howard into the ground with their offensive game plan week after week? Take away Howard, and it would be horrendous. The offense needs to be more well rounded, no one is saying Trubisky needs to pass the ball 40 times a game just because, but the ball has to be spread around on offense, keep the opposing defense honest and limit those 9 man boxes, and also keep our defense more rested.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Several people weeks ago said he just needs snaps since he's so inexperienced. All the reads and scenarios leaning to winning should be what he needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The interception in the Vikings game has turned him into a ultraconservative QB right now and that's fine when you have a 2td lead. He is developing for just being on the field and gaining experience.

He gets a free pass this year in every game. If Pace rebuilds the WR corp. and Shaheen progresses next year then we can judge.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Trubisky looked like he wanted to pull the trigger today and hesitated and was sacked a couple of times.

I just don't want to develop a guy who is gun shy about taking risks.
Up 14 with a defense shutting the other team down and a solid run game you absolutely want a guy that knows when to be gun shy. Last weeks playcalling was too conservative, but MT had 3 passes in the first 6 plays and an air it out play on 1st down late in the 1st half to Cohen, this all while having a total of 3 possessions and 15 plays in the 1st half. Up 14 at half, if anyone expected Fox to go heavy pass until Car was within even 1 score is crazy.

As for developing Trubisky, he is doing what it takes to win. There will come a time, maybe next week, when his arm is needed and we will see more. Until then chill a bit.

And saying Fox is trying to save his job,LOL. His job is to win football games, and if he goes about saving his job by winning 10 boring games and makes the playoffs...

Well damn him anyhow, how dare he.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see both sides of this argument, both limiting what the kid is expected to do and running a more balanced offense. To me the series with 1st and goal from the 5 was instructive. They tried to punch it up the middle twice - which is understandable. But the the call on 3rd and goal from the 1/2 yard line looked like it was designed to stay simple for the kid and ended up being simple for the Panthers to diagnose and stop.

They ran a designed roll-out sending McBride, Miller, Gentry, and after a delay, Mizzell. Basically all the receivers ran the same route to the same spot and were bunched together with the defenders for most of it. It seemed designed for Trubisky to tuck it in and run but it also pointed multiple defenders in the direction he was going. Still there was a brief second where Gentry was open at the top of the end zone and a good throw would have gotten six. But Trubisky already had his head down and was heading for the pylon.

To me it seemed to say they didn't trust the oline to protect the pocket for even 2 seconds, they didn't expect anyone to get open, or they didn't expect Trubisky to read the play and find the open guy. Or all three. Third and short on the goal line is a basic situation where you expect your qb to make a play reflexively, not just put his head down and become another running back.

Let him try and fail in those situations - it's how you learn.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
This is about John Fox trying to save his job. Fox is going to do everything possible to continue to win games this way. He can't and won't and it will be what gets him fired. It's Marty Ball 2.0 from,the days of Marty Schottenheimer. Let Fox fire himself.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Who has said that they would rather Loggains try an all out passing attack?