Jalen Hurts

Montucky

Liked Posts:
His statistics were way better than his performance yesterday afternoon. I dont know how you could come away from watching that and think Hurts is "the guy" for any franchise. I would definitely rather have Jaylon Johnson and probably also Cole Kmet than Jalen Hurts.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
His statistics were way better than his performance yesterday afternoon. I dont know how you could come away from watching that and think Hurts is "the guy" for any franchise. I would definitely rather have Jaylon Johnson and probably also Cole Kmet than Jalen Hurts.
I would rather have had Hurts on a cheap rookie contract to develop so they wouldn’t have had to trot out Foles and his contract all those weeks. Not over JJ, but certainly over Kmet.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I would rather have had Hurts on a cheap rookie contract to develop so they wouldn’t have had to trot out Foles and his contract all those weeks. Not over JJ, but certainly over Kmet.
Honestly, drafting Hurts would've been a recipe for wasting years committed to developing a guy who will probably never really develop into much more than what Foles is already (a high tier backup). There's also a whole politics thing clearly going on behind the scenes in Philadelphia between Pederson, Roseman and Wentz of which Hurts is becoming this sort of inexplicable beneficiary.

I dont see any reason to lament not drafting him, he certainly hasn't displayed any world-beating talent. Guys like Hurts are available every year and the early indications from Kmet and especially Johnson are so encouraging that its really not prudent to believe that Pace did anything wrong in the second round.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Eagles are in dire straits.

Carson Wentz does not want to play backup role and wants to get traded but his contract is immovable. Eagles can't cut him for the least the next 2 years cause they'll be eating 60 million in dead cap money if they do so next season and 30 million the following year.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Honestly, drafting Hurts would've been a recipe for wasting years committed to developing a guy who will probably never really develop into much more than what Foles is already (a high tier backup). There's also a whole politics thing clearly going on behind the scenes in Philadelphia between Pederson, Roseman and Wentz of which Hurts is becoming this sort of inexplicable beneficiary.

I dont see any reason to lament not drafting him, he certainly hasn't displayed any world-beating talent. Guys like Hurts are available every year and the early indications from Kmet and especially Johnson are so encouraging that its really not prudent to believe that Pace did anything wrong in the second round.
Not saying drafting Kmet was necessarily wrong, just not the direction I would have gone. Hurts is a gamer. We would both be speculating if I said he could be a franchise QB or if you say he will only be a good backup. No one knows except for a few special prospects.

Your point is valid, but the point I’m making is that a franchise who hasn’t had a franchise QB since the 40’s should be constantly drafting them. We’re talking about a 2nd round pick. Hitting on Hurts is a helluva lot more important than hitting on Kmet because Hurts plays the most important position in the game.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Not saying drafting Kmet was necessarily wrong, just not the direction I would have gone. Hurts is a gamer. We would both be speculating if I said he could be a franchise QB or if you say he will only be a good backup. No one knows except for a few special prospects.

Your point is valid, but the point I’m making is that a franchise who hasn’t had a franchise QB since the 40’s should be constantly drafting them. We’re talking about a 2nd round pick. Hitting on Hurts is a helluva lot more important than hitting on Kmet because Hurts plays the most important position in the game.
Pouring top hundred selections into quarterbacks every year is not a great strategy though. I know Ryan Pace promised to do it when he was hired, but Pace is also right to have broken that promise. I could only imagine the position the Bears would be in if the Bears passed on players like Jaylon Johnson, Whitehair, Eddie Jackson, etc. to draft quarterbacks have made little or no NFL impact yet.

10veitout

Liked Posts:

Jalen Hurts looks like he might be a lot better then backup level lol. He has been very good since coming off the bench against GB.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
Pouring top hundred selections into quarterbacks every year is not a great strategy though. I know Ryan Pace promised to do it when he was hired, but Pace is also right to have broken that promise. I could only imagine the position the Bears would be in if the Bears passed on players like Jaylon Johnson, Whitehair, Eddie Jackson, etc. to draft quarterbacks have made little or no NFL impact yet.

If you had hit in even one of those QBs, you would be in much better position.

If you dont have a QB, you need to get one.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Jalen Hurts looks like he might be a lot better then backup level lol. He'll has been very good since coming off the bench against GB.
No, he really has not. You're just looking at the stat line. His actually play has not been very encouraging, the Eagles had multiple chances to win that game yesterday and each time Hurts failed to capitalize. One thing that never shows up in quarterback's stats are taking bad sacks, and Hurts did that twice in a row during a critical moment.

He may represent an improvement over Mitch Trubisky and Nick Foles for the 2021 season, but then again that goes for about thirty or so quarterbacks in the NFL.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
No, he really has not. You're just looking at the stat line. His actually play has not been very encouraging, the Eagles had multiple chances to win that game yesterday and each time Hurts failed to capitalize. One thing that never shows up in quarterback's stats are taking bad sacks, and Hurts did that twice in a row during a critical moment.

He may represent an improvement over Mitch Trubisky and Nick Foles for the 2021 season, but then again that goes for about thirty or so quarterbacks in the NFL.

I watched every game he played. He has been nothing short of very good.

So... because he took two sacks at a bad time, that overruled his very good QB play over three games? It rules out the clutch game he had against NO?

You can nitpick bad plays for any QB lol. Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson etc.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If you had hit in even one of those QBs, you would be in much better position.

If you dont have a QB, you need to get one.
Who though? The quarterback you are suggesting the Bears should've taken instead of the selection they made does not exist. They obviously made the wrong decision at quarterback in 2017, but that's not really the failure you are alluding to. You are saying the Bears problem is they dont draft enough quarterbacks, but of all the quarterbacks drafted after the Bears first pick the last two years none have really shown that they are really worth fretting over.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
Who though? The quarterback you are suggesting the Bears should've taken instead of the selection they made does not exist. They obviously made the wrong decision at quarterback in 2017, but that's not really the failure you are alluding to. You are saying the Bears problem is they dont draft enough quarterbacks, but of all the quarterbacks drafted after the Bears first pick the last two years none have really shown that they are really worth fretting over.

Dak, Hurts, Minshew, would all be major improvements.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Dak, Hurts, Minshew, would all be major improvements.
Gardner Minshew? Are you kidding me? The guy who got benched for Mike Glennon and Jake Luton?

Yeah, I'd rather have Montgomery, Ridley and Shelley. You lost all credibility here by posing that the Bears should be kicking themselves for missing out on Gardner fucking Minshew.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
Gardner Minshew? Are you kidding me? The guy who got benched for Mike Glennon and Jake Luton?

Yeah, I'd rather have Montgomery, Ridley and Shelley. You lost all credibility here by posing that the Bears should be kicking themselves for missing out on Gardner fucking Minshew.

Gardner Minshew is still a major improvement over Trubisky lol.

Minshew is efficient and safe with the ball, he could have the Bears in the playoffs.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Well you gotta give his game a chance to develop. Sure, right now he's limited, but he's only played 2 games.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
What a conundrum for the Eagles. They are clearly better with Hurts but are so hugely invested in Wentz for the next 3 years.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
Well you gotta give his game a chance to develop. Sure, right now he's limited, but he's only played 2 games.

What he is saying is nonsense anyway. Hurts play has backed up his numbers. He looks like 6-2 Russel Wilson with absolute top level arm strength.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Gardner Minshew is still a major improvement over Trubisky lol.

Minshew is efficient and safe with the ball, he could have the Bears in the playoffs.
Gardner Minshew and Mitchell Trubisky are on Minshew's best day birds of a feather. I dont see the value in having one over the other, if anything Trubisky's play these last couple weeks have elevated his stock clearly above Minshew.

Lamenting the Bears quarterback situation is fine, we've been doing it my whole life. But pretending that adding Gardner Minshew would bring the Bears any closer to rectifying that issue is complete folly. Minshew can barely play, and to say he takes care of the ball contradicts his biggest flaw which is that he is an absolute turnover machine with his fumbling (basically a ritual for him every game) and multi-interception performances.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
What he is saying is nonsense anyway. Hurts play has backed up his numbers. He looks like 6-2 Russel Wilson with absolute top level arm strength.
From the quarterback guru who brought you "Gardner Minshew takes care of the ball" we have "Jalen Hurts is a taller version of Russell WIlson"...the hits keep coming. I bet you can tell me also how Jacob Eason and Will Grier are surefire Hall of Famers for no reason other than the fact that the Bears passed on them. Trust me, if you had to actually watch Jalen Hurts or Gardner Minshew every Sunday you would not be wishing they were on the Bears.