Jay Cutler takes shots at current Bear in social media post, shows No Remorse!

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From the perspective of licencing sure but they dont magically get smaller because they are invasive. I am talking classification based on size not arbitrary classification based on whether a state wants to get rid of them.

Again it would be like a bunch of Lions showed up and started wrecking shit in CO and got the invasive tag. They are still big game even if CO decides to allow them to be killed without a big game licence.
Not disagreeing. I'm just saying that I'm assuming that's the classification in the regs.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guns laws are pretty strict here so growing up only had a shotgun and lever action rifle as my grandfather pretty much had them for decades.

Did not get my hands on a semi-automatic until my 20s and realized it was pretty stupid in hindsight to be using manual action weapons as a kid.
Bolt actions are just more accurate typically. But I do enjoy my semi autos as well.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Guns laws are pretty strict here so growing up only had a shotgun and lever action rifle as my grandfather pretty much had them for decades.

Did not get my hands on a semi-automatic until my 20s and realized it was pretty stupid in hindsight to be using manual action weapons as a kid.
Mmm. I’d rather use a modern bolt gun for hunting, than a semi auto myself. They’re simply more accurate. A $400-$500 Savage or Howa in .308 is more accurate than any AR-10.

An auto loader will never have the potential to achieve the level of accuracy that a locking breach can. I have a Stainless Howa 1500 in 300 WinMag that is sub .33 MOA after I seasoned the barrel. Season the barrel of even a cheap center fire bolt gun when it’s new, and it will blow your mind on how insanely accurate these guns are. But you have to do it from the get go, or you miss the chance.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bolt actions are just more accurate typically. But I do enjoy my semi autos as well.
Mmm. I’d rather use a modern bolt gun for hunting, than a semi auto myself. They’re simply more accurate. A $400-$500 Savage or Howa in .308 is more accurate than any AR-10.

An auto loader will never have the potential to achieve the level of accuracy that a locking breach can. I have a Stainless Howa 300 WinMag that is sub .33 MOA after I seasoned the barrel. Season the barrel of even a cheap center fire bolt gun when it’s new, and it will blow your mind on how insanely accurate these guns are. But you have to do it from the get go, or you miss the chance.
I was speaking moreso from the perspective of having a kid ( not a trained adult) using shotguns where you have to get real close and lever action which arent as accurate to hunt wild boar/pigs. I probably would have been much safer with a semi-auto or a bolt action.

Last edited:

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mine was lever action not bolt. I was speaking moreso from the perspective of having a kid ( not a trained adult) using shotguns where you have to get real close and lever action which arent as accurate to hunt wild boar/pigs. I probably would have been much safer with a semi-auto.
Yeah, leaver guns aren’t as accurate as bolt guns, and typically are less accurate than all other non tube fed rifles, because the bullets themselves are less accurate, due to their needing to have flat noses.

But lever guns are fun to shoot.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All this gun talk. Just give me my bow. I get an archery elk and archery bear tag every year. Never got a shot on a bear, but my main objective is to fill the freezer with elk anyway.
Back to guns: I carry a 357 for protection in Alaska and have had several encounters with black bears and grizz, but fortunately never had to shoot. Although some of them required calling in the choppa to fully scare them off. Bear bangers suck (this is not a fish sex adjacent joke) .

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All this gun talk. Just give me my bow. I get an archery elk and archery bear tag every year. Never got a shot on a bear, but my main objective is to fill the freezer with elk anyway.
Back to guns: I carry a 357 for protection in Alaska and have had several encounters with black bears and grizz, but fortunately never had to shoot. Although some of them required calling in the choppa to fully scare them off. Bear bangers suck (this is not a fish sex adjacent joke) .
You feel comfortable behind .357 for brown bear, in a case of an encounter gone wrong?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Not deadly and not large game per @dbldrew

One thing watching boar vs bear vids. Least with Bears there is a chance you'll spook them or they just neutral chillin lookin for food. Long as you stay your distance and mind your own business you good.

Boars tho. Them baconators are highly aggressive and their charges are not the bluff charges you see from other wildlife where they come at the target and stop. When Boars are charging, they mean business. This lady was getting rekt.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah but he is the only dude in his pack that sleeps in A/C, eats home cooked meals for dinner, gets dressed up on special occasions, and has an assortment of toys that would make most kids blush. My wife spoiled the hell out of him before our daughter was born. She threw this dude a birthday party inviting his dog friends over and with a dog birthday cake.
Does he still get cooking and/or table food? The longest living dogs on record got there by eating table scraps with a bit of caution as to what you might want to hold back.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I dont think you understand English. If you want to limit it to just bears then you dont say like a bear. You say you have no experience killing bears. The end. Like denotes something similar not identicial. A wild boar by definition is a predator that can kill like a bear. SMH.

A hog/boar that is 300 to 650 pounds is by definition large game. Whether they have their own hunting season or licence is irrelevant as large game is based on the size not an arbitrary season or licence. Hence why these hog hunters in CO identify wild boar as large game.

Further something can be an invasive species and large game as the two terms have nothing to do with each other. A Lions is obviously big game and if it was in Colorado it would also be an invasive species because it is not native to Colorado. Wild Boar are an invasive species because they are not native to CO. They are also large game because they can get to 300-650 pounds.

So you mostly hunt whitetails and turkey yet have deemd yourself an expert on Bear hunts?
I said like a bear because I'm talking about hunting an apex predator, so if you have hunted mountain lions or lions tigers etc
Humans have a instinctual fear of other predators, a feral hog is not a apex predator, the most dangerous wild animal in North America is a moose, they kill way more people then all bears combined, but human do not have a fear of moose like they do with a bear.

You carrying on about boars/feal hogs being big game is a pointless debate YOU provide proof that it will very from state to state, I provided that where I hunt they are not considered big game, why are you bringing this back up when the debate was about bears? That's right you said something stupid about bears and now are trying everything in your power to keep the debate off of that

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
So you mostly hunt whitetails and turkey yet have deemd yourself an expert on Bear hunts?
when have I said I was an expert on Bear hunts? I challenged your statement about bear hunts because you said something stupid about it.

My experience with bear hunts is extremely limited, I only went on 1 black bear hunt and never actually took a shot because i didnt have a clean shot. But I will tell you there was a fear that "if I fuck up this shot I could die" with hunting a bear. I never had that fear when I hunted Hogs, with the exception of the normal excitement/adrenaline jitters that happens when taking a shot, basically the same "buck fever" with hunting whitetails.

I have never claimed to be an expert on bear hunting, but you said a pretty bold statement about it takes NO skill so I challenged your experience which you have non of.

But I have been hunting for a very long time and your next statement that it takes 1 day of training to bear hunt is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have heard.

So we have 2 possibilities with your statements about bear hunting

Either you are a hunter like you have said but one of the dumbest hunters I have ever come across

OR

you are full of shit and never actually hunted and just attempting to argue from a place of authority (fake authority in this case)

You do have some weird mental issues with arguing that you always have to be correct and will vortex the debate off of what you said when you know you are wrong, and we do know for a fact you have made shit up in the past with "arguing from authority" that run-n-shoot uncovered with your football experience so I'm leaning towards you are just full of shit..

But if you want to argue that your just a fucking moron then I might be swayed to think your just an idiot

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You feel comfortable behind .357 for brown bear, in a case of an encounter gone wrong?
Would I rather have a shotgun? Absolutely. Not always feasible given the terrain I work in. I have taken 6 two day long shotgun and revolver trainings from Alaska Tactical. They support people carrying 357s.

The Apostate

Liked Posts:
Yeah, leaver guns aren’t as accurate as bolt guns, and typically are less accurate than all other non tube fed rifles, because the bullets themselves are less accurate, due to their needing to have flat noses.

But lever guns are fun to shoot.
Not necessarily true of all lever guns though. My dad taught us to shoot (well, tried hard to teach in my case) with his Winchester model 88 lever gun. It uses a 4 shot detachable box magazine so it uses pointed Spitzer bullets instead of the aerodynamically unstable blunt tips you need for a tube fed magazine.
A competent rifleman (that would be my dad, not me) could drive pins at 300 yards with it. While Winchester stopped production on that model many years ago Browning offers their BLR using the same basic design.

Browning BLR

Bust

Liked Posts:
The amount of wussified city boys that don't know shit about life beyond Starbucks makes me giggle.

need timestamp pics of your backyard farm with gravel pit or it didn't happen

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Does he still get cooking and/or table food? The longest living dogs on record got there by eating table scraps with a bit of caution as to what you might want to hold back.

This mofo just escaped again because my gardner left the back gate open and he went out front and hoped the fence lower fence out front. SMMFH!

We give him a mix of dry and wet food as his staple but then he eats whatever leftovers we have. Sometimes my wife will give him raw/boiled chicken feet or thighs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I said like a bear because I'm talking about hunting an apex predator, so if you have hunted mountain lions or lions tigers etc
Humans have a instinctual fear of other predators, a feral hog is not a apex predator, the most dangerous wild animal in North America is a moose, they kill way more people then all bears combined, but human do not have a fear of moose like they do with a bear.

You carrying on about boars/feal hogs being big game is a pointless debate YOU provide proof that it will very from state to state, I provided that where I hunt they are not considered big game, why are you bringing this back up when the debate was about bears? That's right you said something stupid about bears and now are trying everything in your power to keep the debate off of that

Your story changing again. A wild boar can kill you like a bear. The end.

Big game is based on size not an arbitrary state designation. The end.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not necessarily true of all lever guns though. My dad taught us to shoot (well, tried hard to teach in my case) with his Winchester model 88 lever gun. It uses a 4 shot detachable box magazine so it uses pointed Spitzer bullets instead of the aerodynamically unstable blunt tips you need for a tube fed magazine.
A competent rifleman (that would be my dad, not me) could drive pins at 300 yards with it. While Winchester stopped production on that model many years ago Browning offers their BLR using the same basic design.

Browning BLR
That’s a pretty cool gun, especially the trigger design. Beats the floppy Marlin trigger for sure. I have a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70, and the first thing I did, was replace the shitty stock trigger, with a WW Trigger Happy kit.