Jim Hendry Fired As GM Of The Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Don't really understand the CO comments here, considering that I have said before that I would like to see JH go, but I guess that's just lack of reading comprehension for ya.

Not really

A. i was being facetious..not sure if you could tell..but when you see me posting a bunch of gifs or emoticons..thats a good clue...i dont believe anyone here is actually against hendry going

B. It has nothing to do with us having issues comprehending what you are writing...it has to do with you always defending hendry

I do agree with Po that this didn't happen at the best time,

i dont see it being a bad time...again there was nothing left for hendry to do

I would have preferred that they at least wait until after August so that Hendry *might* be able to move Pena.

highly doubt this...even with his power he doesnt have a great amount of trade value...i'm sure many teams out there realize that he isnt a beneficial investment because he's aging...

However, all in all, I think that this will end up being positive news for the team. As long as we keep Wilken, I will be at least somewhat happy.

i dont see how it isnt

I also agree with Po on I don't see why people are overly estatic, when things could be a lot worse.

things could be a lot better as well..i'm pretty damn happy we got rid of hendry...

Especially given how many people here feel about Ricketts, what makes you haters think he can sign someone better when you are blaming him for how bad the team is this year? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

i'm more neutral when it comes to ricketts..he makes good investments in trying to build a foundation with the farm system..which is smart(people who think the cubs should never have to rebuild need to realize that this is the cubs and not the yankees or red sox...frankly its not easy to rely on free agents to build your team unless you are winning,have an attractive market,and have money..cubs have arguably one or two of those criteria...but the farm system is a much more sound investment..hell its not like the red sox and yankees dont rely a bit on the farm system for sound foundations)

but he also makes some dumb decisions(corresponds to the incompetent personnel..getting rid of hendry is a move in the right direction)

also not a very high net worth..as emphasized before...you can spend with the cubs in debt..but at some point the debt has to be addressed whether it be through payroll cuts or whatever...when the deficit is larger than the METS financially..thats not something to take lightly

cubs are a relatively big market...so they'll be able to attract some GMs(especially if we are in a position to possibly get some free agents if we make some contract moves(...ricketts has stated that the GM will not come from the personnel which imo is a smart move...

Last edited:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really

A. i was being facetious..not sure if you could tell..but when you see me posting a bunch of gifs or emoticons..thats a good clue...i dont believe anyone here is actually against hendry going

B. It has nothing to do with us having issues comprehending what you are writing...it has to do with you always defending hendry

highly doubt this...even with his power he doesnt have a great amount of trade value...i'm sure many teams out there realize that he isnt a beneficial investment because he's aging...

i dont see how it isnt

things could be a lot better as well..i'm pretty damn happy we got rid of hendry...

i'm more neutral when it comes to ricketts..he makes good investments in trying to build a foundation with the farm system..which is smart(people who think the cubs should never have to rebuild need to realize that this is the cubs and not the yankees or red sox...frankly its not easy to rely on free agents to build your team unless you are winning,have an attractive market,and have money..cubs have arguably one or two of those criteria...but the farm system is a much more sound investment..hell its not like the red sox and yankees dont rely a bit on the farm system for sound foundations)

but he also makes some dumb decisions(corresponds to the incompetent personnel..getting rid of hendry is a move in the right direction)

also not a very high net worth..as emphasized before...you can spend with the cubs in debt..but at some point the debt has to be addressed whether it be through payroll cuts or whatever...when the deficit is larger than the METS financially..thats not something to take lightly

cubs are a relatively big market...so they'll be able to attract some GMs(especially if we are in a position to possibly get some free agents if we make some contract moves(...ricketts has stated that the GM will not come from the personnel which imo is a smart move...

:clap: I love you more and more sir! when you arent talking about me sucking on big fat juicy cocks, you are one of the best.....ah fuck it, even when you are talking about cocks and me sucking on them, you still are the best!

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't really understand the CO comments here, considering that I have said before that I would like to see JH go, but I guess that's just lack of reading comprehension for ya. I do agree with Po that this didn't happen at the best time, I would have preferred that they at least wait until after August so that Hendry *might* be able to move Pena. However, all in all, I think that this will end up being positive news for the team. As long as we keep Wilken, I will be at least somewhat happy.

I also agree with Po on I don't see why people are overly estatic, when things could be a lot worse. Especially given how many people here feel about Ricketts, what makes you haters think he can sign someone better when you are blaming him for how bad the team is this year? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

b0ae7a55dedb7bff00e2c33eed83f9c440130d97_full.jpg

seandon

Liked Posts:
Whoever the hell they hire, I DO NOT WANT Pat Gillick! He wants to be President and hire a GM, and this seems eerily like the McPhail era!

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really

Yes, I do defend Hendry because he isn't as bad as people say he is. We could end up with a GM that is a whole lot worse. Sure, Jimbo isn't great, but he is a middle-of-the-pack GM and there are more guys out there that can do a worse job than that can do a better job IMO.

I disagree. I think that they should have left him around until September 1st. However, after thinking about it a little more, I do like that Ricketts has given himself time to find a replacement. I just don't understand why he wouldn't let Hendry handle the trades and waiver deadline(assuming that what Poods said about Bush being in charge of the July 31st deadline). hendry >>>>>> Bush at trades.

Again, disagree. The Giants 1B production sucks dick, quite frankly. I know that the Cubs could/can get something out of them. They are only 2.5 GB from the D-backs, so they are very much still alive. Scoring runs is their problem, Pena is a much much much better option at 1B than Huff or Belt. I mean Pena automatically becomes their 2nd best hitter. There is certainly a market for him.

I am happy as well. Moreso because I think it shows a positive sign for the future with Ricketts willing to do this and showing some back bone. If we're strictly talking about the GM position, though, I'm a little split. Jim was a good GM for us and I'm not totally sure that Ricketts will hire a better guy than him.

I agree with most of this. However, is Ricketts not getting rid of Hendry till now *really* that big of a deal? I think that you are really blowing this out of proportion. The Cubs had their hands cuffed last offseason due to payroll. If he had gotten rid of Jimbo, do you think that we really would have gotten a top tier GM candidate? I don't. However, this offseason is totally different with over 50 million dollars coming off of the books.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yes, I do defend Hendry because he isn't as bad as people say he is. We could end up with a GM that is a whole lot worse. Sure, Jimbo isn't great, but he is a middle-of-the-pack GM and there are more guys out there that can do a worse job than that can do a better job IMO.

i agree that we could have worse GMs than hendry..but he doesnt know how to handle being the GM of a big market like the cubs imo....you cant give a fat contract to half of the veterans you sign...the cubs can do alot better than hendry

I disagree. I think that they should have left him around until September 1st. However, after thinking about it a little more, I do like that Ricketts has given himself time to find a replacement. I just don't understand why he wouldn't let Hendry handle the trades and waiver deadline(assuming that what Poods said about Bush being in charge of the July 31st deadline). hendry >>>>>> Bush at trades.

im not denying hendry is a better GM than bush..because its true..but

A.Firing him earlier gives more time to look for another GM

B.I seriously doubt we were going to make a trade regardless of whether hendry or bush was the GM...we atleast got rid of fukudome

Again, disagree. The Giants 1B production sucks dick, quite frankly. I know that the Cubs could/can get something out of them. They are only 2.5 GB from the D-backs, so they are very much still alive. Scoring runs is their problem, Pena is a much much much better option at 1B than Huff or Belt. I mean Pena automatically becomes their 2nd best hitter. There is certainly a market for him.

Question is...what will they give back to us? plus i havent seen much interest from the giants regarding pena..he wouldnt be a bad acquisition..he helps them in power and they are last in the NL in OPS and in the bottom in HRs...

I am happy as well. Moreso because I think it shows a positive sign for the future with Ricketts willing to do this and showing some back bone. If we're strictly talking about the GM position, though, I'm a little split. Jim was a good GM for us and I'm not totally sure that Ricketts will hire a better guy than him.

i agree..thats one of the biggest things i took from this...is that ricketts atleast is willing to make some personnel moves...

as for jim being a good GM for us..ehhh i disagree lol...im glad we're moving on

I agree with most of this. However, is Ricketts not getting rid of Hendry till now *really* that big of a deal? I think that you are really blowing this out of proportion. The Cubs had their hands cuffed last offseason due to payroll. If he had gotten rid of Jimbo, do you think that we really would have gotten a top tier GM candidate? I don't. However, this offseason is totally different with over 50 million dollars coming off of the books.

the handcuff last offseason is probably why they waited until now..which is understandable

i am still apprehensive about free agency...the cubs market is surely attractive..but there will be plenty of competition..i hope we atleast get a pitcher(our biggest need) and dump and/or trade some contracts

i think its very important we got rid of hendry...frankly i dont want him being the one "facilitating" the our next offseason..also considering there were reports that hendry was being kept

i still think the financial debt the cubs have is important..and ricketts shouldnt ignore it..although it doesnt mean the cubs cant spend..but it shouldnt be taken lightly

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i agree that we could have worse GMs than hendry..but he doesnt know how to handle being the GM of a big market like the cubs imo....you cant give a fat contract to half of the veterans you sign...the cubs can do alot better than hendry

Oh come on now, do you *really* think that Hendry is soley responsible for that? We all know that the Trib made him throw on 2 extra years to Soriano's contract and it wouldn't surprise me if they made him throw more onto Z's deal. I can understand that you're a little ticked about the Bradley deal, which is understandable, but c'mon. He has done more good than bad for this team, especially in the last 5 years.

im not denying hendry is a better GM than bush..because its true..but

A.Firing him earlier gives more time to look for another GM

B.I seriously doubt we were going to make a trade regardless of whether hendry or bush was the GM...we atleast got rid of fukudome

A) Do you really think that in the next 2 weeks we're going to be able to get much done? I don't. I don't 6 weeks vs. 4 weeks makes much difference. I would have liked to see him stay around till the September call ups, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Question is...what will they give back to us? plus i havent seen much interest from the giants regarding pena..he wouldnt be a bad acquisition..he helps them in power and they are last in the NL in OPS and in the bottom in HRs...

I really don't see how the Giants can stay in the race if they don't do something. Their offense is terrible.

I wouldn't mind getting back a AA corner INF prospect. Something like that is probably the most that we could get.

i agree..thats one of the biggest things i took from this...is that ricketts atleast is willing to make some personnel moves...

as for jim being a good GM for us..ehhh i disagree lol...im glad we're moving on

I don't see how Jim wasn't a good GM for us. 3 playoff appearances in his 9 years, while not great, is pretty good, considering he did basically 2 rebuilds(06 & the last couple of years). He has gotten our farm system into great shape, with things only looking up. While I agree, that is was time to move on, I don't discredit anything he did, I'm just really really really happy that Ricketts is taking control because I think that he is starting to get a grip on the team and that we are definitely pointed in the right direction.

the handcuff last offseason is probably why they waited until now..which is understandable

i am still apprehensive about free agency...the cubs market is surely attractive..but there will be plenty of competition..i hope we atleast get a pitcher(our biggest need) and dump and/or trade some contracts

i think its very important we got rid of hendry...frankly i dont want him being the one "facilitating" the our next offseason..also considering there were reports that hendry was being kept

i still think the financial debt the cubs have is important..and ricketts shouldnt ignore it..although it doesnt mean the cubs cant spend..but it shouldnt be taken lightly

I don't think that he is going to be taking the debt lightly, but I also don't think it's as big of a deal as some think. This team is making money, so I don't see any need to cut the payroll dramatically. While I agree we need pitching, who exactly do you want us to get? The market for starters well... sucks. I'd much rather wait till next year before we blow money on starters.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact that Hendry was a middle of the pack GM is one of the reasons he had to go IMO. Chicago is a big market. They deserve and need a top-notch GM.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact that Hendry was a middle of the pack GM is one of the reasons he had to go IMO. Chicago is a big market. They deserve and need a top-notch GM.

Completely agree, but is there anyone out there that is better? Friedman, probably. Hahn, maybe.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Oh come on now, do you *really* think that Hendry is soley responsible for that? We all know that the Trib made him throw on 2 extra years to Soriano's contract and it wouldn't surprise me if they made him throw more onto Z's deal. I can understand that you're a little ticked about the Bradley deal, which is understandable, but c'mon. He has done more good than bad for this team, especially in the last 5 years.

from bradley to harden(injuries) to Z and Soriano's contracts...overpaying fukudome..and that trade for pierre in 05:smh:

not to say he hasnt made some good moves..or that he's the only one to blame for all the bad moves...but he is not a very good GM...he may be around average or a little below average..but that will not work in a big market(also not all of hendry's good moves were solely because of hendry himself either)

hendry is arguably a pretty big reason the cubs are in the situation they are in right now

A) Do you really think that in the next 2 weeks we're going to be able to get much done? I don't. I don't 6 weeks vs. 4 weeks makes much difference. I would have liked to see him stay around till the September call ups, but it's really not that big of a deal.

i dont think the cubs were going to get much done trading wise either...but atleast they have more time to look for GMs and make a list of targets...of course a deal wont get done in the next couple of weeks..thats not the point

point is that we'll be able make a better move if we have more time to assess the situation...

I really don't see how the Giants can stay in the race if they don't do something. Their offense is terrible.

doesnt necessarily mean they have interest in pena tho

I wouldn't mind getting back a AA corner INF prospect. Something like that is probably the most that we could get.

you're right...because pena doesnt have a ton of trade value

besides SF's farm system isnt that great besides wheeler and belt....belt wouldnt be bad value in return for pena..but idk if SF will be willing to give him up..he has a lot of potential

I don't see how Jim wasn't a good GM for us. 3 playoff appearances in his 9 years, while not great, is pretty good, considering he did basically 2 rebuilds(06 & the last couple of years). He has gotten our farm system into great shape, with things only looking up. While I agree, that is was time to move on, I don't discredit anything he did, I'm just really really really happy that Ricketts is taking control because I think that he is starting to get a grip on the team and that we are definitely pointed in the right direction.

i disagree with anyone saying the cubs shouldnt have to rebuild..but they shouldnt have to rebuild every 2 or 3 years either...in a big market you have to be able to build the foundation with a farm system..then be able to make smart moves with free agents..not committ too much money unless its a really big time free agent...

i credit ricketts a little more for our farm system development..but that doesnt mean hendry didnt have a hand in it...

I don't think that he is going to be taking the debt lightly, but I also don't think it's as big of a deal as some think. This team is making money, so I don't see any need to cut the payroll dramatically. While I agree we need pitching, who exactly do you want us to get? The market for starters well... sucks. I'd much rather wait till next year before we blow money on starters.

the debt is still an issue until it is gone...all im saying is he needs to think about how the cubs can atleast cut the debt to a reasonable amount...

renovating wrigley may help with revenue(which hopefully will increase..but its not a given..and its kind of a shame ricketts is asking chicago for money when their hands are a bit tied financially lol)

CJ wilson is one viable option

also a FA list(courtesy of 85bears4life)

* - player whose current contract includes 2012 option
Starting Pitchers
Mark Buehrle CWS
Chris Carpenter STL *
Bruce Chen KC
Aaron Cook COL *
Kyle Davies KC
Ryan Dempster CHC *
Justin Duchscherer OAK
Zach Duke ARI *
Jeff Francis KC
Freddy Garcia NYY
Jon Garland LAD *
Aaron Harang SD
Rich Harden OAK
Livan Hernandez WAS
Edwin Jackson CWS
Kenshin Kawakami ATL
Scott Kazmir LAA
Hiroki Kuroda LAD
Rodrigo Lopez CHC
Paul Maholm PIT
John Maine COL
Jason Marquis WAS
Kevin Millwood NYY
Scott Olsen PIT *
Roy Oswalt PHI *
Brad Penny DET
Oliver Perez NYM
Joel Pineiro LAA
CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out)
Carlos Silva NYY
Javier Vazquez FLA
Adam Wainwright STL *
Tim Wakefield BOS
Chien-Ming Wang WAS
Brandon Webb ARI
C.J. Wilson TEX
Chris Young NYM

if we dont get a pitcher or trade for one this offseason our rotation will suffer..we have garza and demp..but after that its a real issue..lopez is NOT a starter...wells is very up and down and has some confidence issues...marmol is just not the same anymore for whatever reason

Last edited:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
from bradley to harden(injuries) to Z and Soriano's contracts...overpaying fukudome..and that trade for pierre in 05:smh:

not to say he hasnt made some good moves..or that he's the only one to blame for all the bad moves...but he is not a very good GM...he may be around average or a little below average..but that will not work in a big market(also not all of hendry's good moves were solely because of hendry himself either)

hendry is arguably a pretty big reason the cubs are in the situation they are in right now

Harden? Are you nuts? That was a great trade. In his time here he was worth 4 wins, Gallagher was worth .5 wins, Murton was worth -0.2, Patterson was worth -0.6, and Donaldson has been worth -0.2 win. That's a total of -0.5 wins for Harden and Gaudin, whose value was 0.0 with the team. If that's not a good trade, then I don't know what is.

I agree, Hendry is part of the reason we are in the situation we are now, but I don't think that he is the main culprit. I think that just about all of this falls on the Trib. I mean, if you take Soriano back to 6 years, it's not that bad, and who knows with Z, although I think Z's contract is closer to what Hendry could have gotten without the trib, than Soriano's. Still, the point remains that the Trib *really* fucked this team over.

doesnt necessarily mean they have interest in pena tho

Oh please. C'mon now, you know just as well as I do that they have to be interested. They can't be so naive as to not see that 1B sucks for them.

you're right...because pena doesnt have a ton of trade value

besides SF's farm system isnt that great besides wheeler and belt....belt wouldnt be bad value in return for pena..but idk if SF will be willing to give him up..he has a lot of potential

Anything is better than nothing, not to mention the salary relief.

CJ wilson is one viable option

also a FA list(courtesy of 85bears4life)

* - player whose current contract includes 2012 option
Starting Pitchers
Mark Buehrle CWS
Chris Carpenter STL *
Bruce Chen KC
Aaron Cook COL *
Kyle Davies KC
Ryan Dempster CHC *
Justin Duchscherer OAK
Zach Duke ARI *
Jeff Francis KC
Freddy Garcia NYY
Jon Garland LAD *
Aaron Harang SD
Rich Harden OAK
Livan Hernandez WAS
Edwin Jackson CWS
Kenshin Kawakami ATL
Scott Kazmir LAA
Hiroki Kuroda LAD
Rodrigo Lopez CHC
Paul Maholm PIT
John Maine COL
Jason Marquis WAS
Kevin Millwood NYY
Scott Olsen PIT *
Roy Oswalt PHI *
Brad Penny DET
Oliver Perez NYM
Joel Pineiro LAA

Carlos Silva NYY
Javier Vazquez FLA
Adam Wainwright STL *
Tim Wakefield BOS
Chien-Ming Wang WAS
Brandon Webb ARI
C.J. Wilson TEX
Chris Young NYM

if we dont get a pitcher or trade for one this offseason our rotation will suffer..we have garza and demp..but after that its a real issue..lopez is NOT a starter...wells is very up and down and has some confidence issues...marmol is just not the same anymore for whatever reason

Yeah and Wilson is about the only pitcher worth a shit on there, unless we can get Wainwright.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Harden? Are you nuts? That was a great trade. In his time here he was worth 4 wins, Gallagher was worth .5 wins, Murton was worth -0.2, Patterson was worth -0.6, and Donaldson has been worth -0.2 win. That's a total of -0.5 wins for Harden and Gaudin, whose value was 0.0 with the team. If that's not a good trade, then I don't know what is.

I agree, Hendry is part of the reason we are in the situation we are now, but I don't think that he is the main culprit. I think that just about all of this falls on the Trib. I mean, if you take Soriano back to 6 years, it's not that bad, and who knows with Z, although I think Z's contract is closer to what Hendry could have gotten without the trib, than Soriano's. Still, the point remains that the Trib *really* fucked this team over.

Oh please. C'mon now, you know just as well as I do that they have to be interested. They can't be so naive as to not see that 1B sucks for them.

Yeah and Wilson is about the only pitcher worth a shit on there, unless we can get Wainwright.

Can we use real numbers please?

So you base the trade evaluations off of a flawed metric. nice!

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh I'm sorry, can you please show me a metric that isn't flawed?

you base a trade on a variety of things such as salary, injury, previous stats ( which are very skewed since 2004 was the only season he ever came close to 200 innings ) so you have to look at IP which is in connection with injury. It isnt like his WAR is off the charts either.

So it isnt about "which metric isnt flawed" It is about looking at the whole entire picture of the player, not just his WAR. Sure his K/9 was great....when he was healthy, which wasnt often.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

dont care about relative values with "constants" in them..fact is harden was a walking injury and when he pitched he was good..but besides that...it was a short term investment that only gave spotty value

hendry has been on the team for years...he is the one arguably in charge of making the moves, signing guys,etc.

he may not be the MAIN culprit..but you damn sure cant say he had no part in some of the issues this team has now(overpayed aging veterans and what not)

they havent showed much interest apparently

i'd rather just dump him in the offseason..lol....in that scenario atleast we keep him to help the team for the rest of the season rather than having a hole at 1B

disagree...either way...

we could always trade for a pitcher...or the bigger thing is there are a handful of pitchers on there that would solidify a rotation spot...maybe not a 1 or 2 spot but back of the rotation

Last edited:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
th_laughpound.gif
You're not getting Adam Wainwright. Are you high?

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh I'm sorry, can you please show me a metric that isn't flawed?

You are wasting your time. It's about time to cue jntg with one of his little metrics mocking anyone who believes in sabermetrics.

I do applaud you for keeping at it. You made it longer than me.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
you base a trade on a variety of things such as salary, injury, previous stats ( which are very skewed since 2004 was the only season he ever came close to 200 innings ) so you have to look at IP which is in connection with injury. It isnt like his WAR is off the charts either.

So it isnt about "which metric isnt flawed" It is about looking at the whole entire picture of the player, not just his WAR. Sure his K/9 was great....when he was healthy, which wasnt often.

Salary... we gave up what amounted to nothing in exchange for a pitcher who got us 4 WAR in his time here. We paid him about 5 million dollars. That is certainly a good trade.

Sure, he got injured, but he still managed 4 WAR, which takes into account IP. No, it's not off the charts, but we gave up nothing. Therefore, it's a pretty great trade.

Look at the whole picture, when he was healthy, he was awesome. I really don't see how this isn't a great trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.