Jimmy Garoppolo is not the answer

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Russel Wilson? Theres a ton of QBs that I can name that were drafted very high who were total bust lol

I can name more late round QBs that have sucked.

The NFL does not get the draft process that wrong, that often.

bearsden

Liked Posts:
Better question

What do you not like about Jimmy?

As a patriots fan, its the scheme he played in. Lots of screens. PA passes after establishing a run. They didnt put it on his shoulders to win the game lol. (notice only having 200 yards a game, per game. I am not saying that he sucks but to give up anything that isnt a 4th round or later for a guy with 3 game experience, would be a mistake.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've noticed that anytime a poster has an idea for a Bears trade, it's always amazingly one-sided in favor of the Bears.

My point being this: is there any, slight indication that the Patriots are looking to trade him.
Yes. They have sat on him for 3 years already and expect another 3 or 4 from Brady. They are not going to give Jimmy or any other backup QB a multimillion dollar contract as long as they feel Tom has several more years left in the tank. It's the Patriot way, if you don't intend to pay fair price, trade the player and get something of worth before negotiations even come up.

AussieBear

Both Schefter and Bill Polian expect that he will be dealt.

The simplest reason being that he can leave in 2018 and you get nothing for him and that is something the Patriots refuse to do.

They knew that this would happen so they took Brissett to restart the 4 year window of control.

so you get rid of the seconding coming over his 800k or whatever is left on his rookie contract next yr for bs picks?? i mean its not like tom brady is 39??

they could eat jimmys final year like ramen noodles... let brady retire after 2018... tag jimmy a year and see whats up...

im saying, if hes that good.. why let him out the door

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
As a patriots fan, its the scheme he played in. Lots of screens. PA passes after establishing a run. They didnt put it on his shoulders to win the game lol. (notice only having 200 yards a game, per game. I am not saying that he sucks but to give up anything that isnt a 4th round or later for a guy with 3 game experience, would be a mistake.

He threw for 230 yards with 3 tds in one half the last time we saw him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
so you get rid of the seconding coming over his 800k left on his contract for mere picks?? i mean its not like tom brady is 39??

they could eat his final year like ramen noodles... let brady retire... tag jimmy a year and see whats up...

Because Brady is not conveniently retiring for you.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather not repeat the mistake they made with Cutler of trading the farm for an completely unproven commodity and setting the franchise back 10 years it didn't work out. It's a dice roll either way you approach the QB situation so I really don't see the point in giving up extremely valuable draft picks to the Pats when this franchise desperately needs every last draft pick it has and then some to actually rebuild this dumpster fire of a roster.

There are plenty of good prospects to choose from this year. Make a proper evaluation and take the one you grade out the best with the 1st or 2nd rounder. It's not rocket science.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
so you get rid of the seconding coming over his 800k or whatever left on his contract next yr for mere picks?? i mean its not like tom brady is 39??

they could eat jimmys final year like ramen noodles... let brady retire after 2018... tag jimmy a year and see whats up...

Because they don't want to let him out the door for free. He has 1 year left. Brady is still the best QB in the NFL. You risk losing him to free agency for nothing. What are the greater odds, Brady retires or is playing after next year? It is obviously Brady playing. He has showed no signs of slowing down and has a desire to play for many more years. And anyone who has seen the Patriots operate know they aren't going to pay Garoppolo to ride pine.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
yeah but hes not 20 either.... he'll be 40 next season...

He has said repeatedly he is playing 3-4 more years and he is still playing at an MVP level.

He is not retiring in time for them to keep Jimmy G, it is why they drafted Brissett to buy themselves 4 more years.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thats what happens when you procrastinate at the QB position, tho

I know and I would be okay with it.

But personally if I weigh talent to cost, if I can get Jimmy and keep the 5th pick I would think that is better than the huge trade up.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
I would trade a second round pick for him. Nothing more, because he's played like a second round pick. And then you'd have to wonder how great he is if BB is willing to toss him for a second.