New Year’s Day bowl games

Yogi

Liked Posts:
That 3rd down pass call before the last Washington field goal deserves more scrutiny than the play where the RB got injured. Even with a TD you're still only going up 2 scores, so the optimal outcome is to go up 2 scores and have Texas burn one of their last 2 TOs.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Michigan can shut down Washington's WR's Their TE's are a concern. Harbaugh will run the ball right down their throats, and Washington will not stop them. But, if Washington gets up early, then it will be tough on Michigan. Bama O-line much better than Washington's and Michigan sacked Bama how many times?

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That 3rd down pass call before the last Washington field goal deserves more scrutiny than the play where the RB got injured. Even with a TD you're still only going up 2 scores, so the optimal outcome is to go up 2 scores and have Texas burn one of their last 2 TOs.
Agreed. Throwing on that down, traditionally thinking, is not the smart move. At the same time this is the kind of stuff UW has done all year so changing it now would go against type. Think Detroit against Dallas earlier. The smart move isn't always what UW does. It hasn't bitten them in the butt yet. It sure came close tonight though. I don't have any fingernails left.

ChiGuy23

Liked Posts:
When exactly would we draft him? What scenario do you see us drafting him. Think about it and let me know.
The Bears drafted Mitch Trubisky #2 overall and no one really batted an eye in the moment. Yet, if they had drafted Mahomes there people would have called it an over draft in the moment. The point is, the rankings are wrong constantly. If you think Penix can be a top 10 qb, he’s worth any pick.

But a realistic scenario is trading down in the 3-7 range, grab the best WR and pick up an extra 2nd this year and a 1 next. At 10, take bowers or the best pass rusher.

Then use your bounty’s of picks you get from the 1 trade and from trading Fields to maneuver to the end of rd 1 and draft Penix. Ideally you’d come out of the first round of the next draft with Nabers, Bowers, Penix and 2 firsts next year.

If that were to happen, I could see a scenario the bears are super bowl contenders within 2 years. I get this is hyper speculative, but Poles has a change to build out something Chicago has never had, a high powered offense. If you roll out Moore, Nabers, Bowers, Kmet, and the RB’s with Penix distributing, that has a real chance to transform the franchise.

Imo, if this were to occur, people would be shocked how fast we all forgot about lamenting the Fields decision. But who knows, I’m probably wrong. 🤷‍♂️ Gonna be a wild off season

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Then use your bounty’s of picks you get from the 1 trade and from trading Fields to maneuver to the end of rd 1 and draft Penix. Ideally you’d
come out of the first round of the next draft with Nabers, Bowers, Penix and 2 firsts next year.
Why draft Bowers? Youre better off getting a DE. Also your trades are really a stretch. YOure going to trade back again in the first round to take Penix when you can either just keep JF whos risk to injury potential is far far less or you could simply select a WR, DE, C which are bigger needs. Anyway the Bears are not getting Penix. Its JF or Caleb/Maye.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Michigan can shut down Washington's WR's Their TE's are a concern. Harbaugh will run the ball right down their throats, and Washington will not stop them. But, if Washington gets up early, then it will be tough on Michigan. Bama O-line much better than Washington's and Michigan sacked Bama how many times?
Says the guy that doesn’t watch college football!!

Bamas offensive line is not better than Washington’s. It’s been the worst bama offensive line in the entirety of Nick Saban’s tenure there

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Bamas offensive line is not better than Washington’s. It’s been the worst bama offensive line in the entirety of Nick Saban’s tenure there
Also Penix isn’t anywhere near as inexperienced as Milroe as he couldn’t figure out the hot reads or pressure packages. Penix will see that coming from a mile away; he’s just not as mobile. But he his pre-snap recognition is considerably better than Milroe’s. I passed out in the 4th quarter so I guess I should watch it sometime today.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Also, JC Latham again struggled in pass pro; I’m not sure why he’s hyped up to be a 1st round pick. He looks like another typical Bama bust on the OL

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Also Penix isn’t anywhere near as inexperienced as Milroe as he couldn’t figure out the hot reads or pressure packages. Penix will see that coming from a mile away; he’s just not as mobile. But he his pre-snap recognition is considerably better than Milroe’s. I passed out in the 4th quarter so I guess I should watch it sometime today.
Penix is light years better than Milroe at everything except running the football.

It’s not even close.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Oduzne is likely a top 15 pick so not so sure Michigan can easily contain him given he makes a lot of contested catches.

Also Penix is much better than Milroe as a passer and has a Tua like quick release.

ChiGuy23

Liked Posts:
Why draft Bowers? Youre better off getting a DE. Also your trades are really a stretch. YOure going to trade back again in the first round to take Penix when you can either just keep JF whos risk to injury potential is far far less or you could simply select a WR, DE, C which are bigger needs. Anyway the Bears are not getting Penix. It’s JF or Caleb/Maye.
We need playmakers. The idea with bowers is to make the bears offense the most potent it’s ever been. A DE would be nice, as I cited in my last post if not bowers a DE, but they are already a top 10 unit. The offense… not so much.

You cite JF injury risk as “far less”. How do you figure? The guys runs for his life for a living where Penix takes faaarrr fewer hits than JF.

You’re free to your opinion that wr and DE are bigger needs, but the QB position is the most valuable in any sport and the Bears have a bottom 3rd qb in the league (and their record for the last few years shows it). Not sure how anyone says Fields is anything other than what the stats prove him to be - a below average QB.

I wish it weren’t the case but 3 years in and multiple top 10 picks later and we still are wondering… well, he ain’t it imo.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who has the better corners?
There is a reason Michigan opens as a 4.5 point favorite.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oduzne is likely a top 15 pick so not so sure Michigan can easily contain him given he makes a lot of contested catches.

Also Penix is much better than Milroe as a passer and has a Tua like quick release.
so you think Washington wil win?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I said I am not a huge college football fan.
That doesn't mean I don't watch some Michigan football.

so, just exactly when does this game get ugly?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I said I am not a huge college football fan.
That doesn't mean I don't watch some Michigan football.

so, just exactly when does this game get ugly?
cool, you watch some michigan football, yet you somehow act like you know things about other teams like claiming that Alabama has a better offensive line that Washington, when Alabama has given up more sacks than any Alabama team in the last 35 years....you could be more wrong. Being wrong is kinda your schtick, though

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
cool, you watch some michigan football, yet you somehow act like you know things about other teams like claiming that Alabama has a better offensive line that Washington, when Alabama has given up more sacks than any Alabama team in the last 35 years....you could be more wrong. Being wrong is kinda your schtick, though
Who do you think will win?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Who do you think will win?
really havent given it much thought and its cute that NOW all of a sudden you care what I think

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
really havent given it much thought and its cute that NOW all of a sudden you care what I think
I could really care less what you think, rather have you pick Washington, and prove you wrong.
I say Michigan will win.
I expect you will waffle.