***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
A good size/speed combination, supposedly a bigger route tree than the other RBs (though he has major problems catching the ball) and good kickoff return ability and the new kickoff rules may actually help his value on the team.

That's all I got and it was not an easy task for me.

I must say, so long as he is on the team, I want him to finally 'get it' and perform, same for all lower ranked or UDFAs

He has that home run breakaway potential if he can put it all together.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Patterson was 10x(literally) the receiver velus was prior to switching to RB.

Velus has no use outside of fielding KR's in a league where the kick return is dead.

Now they are desperately trying to find a role for him on this team. Who knows if he's even going to be good at the new kick returns.
Ummm ... the kick return is off life support and doing fine. Whether Velus amounts to anything as a KR or not is whole other question.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Ah I see.

Yeah the source of my pessimism absolutely is in how he just doesn't provide much for a WR. It is weird how our perception shifts based on when they are drafted - Tyler Scott is a fourth rounder and I think people are far more optimistic for him. Yet Scott only took in 17 catches last year and is similarly buried behind far more talented starters.
There are people who miss the other way around.

Someone posted that Cordarrelle Patterson is 10 times the receiver that Velus was but he failed to notice that Patterson was a first rounder (29th overall) while Velus was overdrafted as a 3rd rounder.

Of course, Patterson was probably going to be much better at receiving than Velus.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Velus has no use outside of fielding KR's in a league where the kick return is dead.

Now they are desperately trying to find a role for him on this team. Who knows if he's even going to be good at the new kick returns.

Cordarelle Patterson was a 1st round bust as a WR

He didn't become valuable to a team until he filled into the gadget player role

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
He has to be someone's worthless son they didn't want living in their basement until he was 46.
Even if you had a worthless son living in your basement until he turned 46, couldn't you survive the year and a half until he turned 46?

That is not a good reason for the Bears' fans to suffer.

• Haha
Reactions: Myk

DaBears3434

Liked Posts:
So because he's never dropped a kickoff, you think that's a guarantee he has no problems there when he's shown obvious issues being able to do so in other areas?
The reason people don’t think Velus has a problem catching kickoffs isn’t just because he hasn’t dropped one yet. It’s because catching kickoffs is very easy. It’s very different than catching a punt. I see muffed punts all the time in the NFL, and I rarely ever see muffed kickoffs. The trajectory of the ball is different, and there aren’t players a few feet away from you when you catch it on kickoffs. The mental aspect isn’t an issue on kickoffs.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:
Barring a complete catastrophe, Eberflus will be back. Poles clearly wants continuity
Bro is 10-24, not sure if you know but that's pretty fucking terrible and if he continues to blow games and struggle to create an environment that doesn't facilitate QB develop, Poles will launch his gap toothed ass out of town so quickly.

He's shown so little to justify any sort of confidence.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cw and odunze haven't played a game yet. Brisker probably won't see a 2nd contract with the bears unless he plays better. Gordon took a big step last year but needs to stay healthy otherwise he may not see a 2nd contract with the bears. Wright still needs to show more but was solid as a rookie. Dexter will hopefully be much better this year and needs to be because he was not great last year. Stevenson is a baller.

Don't forget the Claypool trade.
Correct he has only had 3 drafts before and none of his draft picks have even hit their 3rd year when most guys start to take off.

I notice you ignored Moore, Allen and Sweat trades. Yes Claypool sucked but no GM is 100%. Overall Poles has assembled sufficient talent for a guy with just 3 offseasons.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bro is 10-24, not sure if you know but that's pretty fucking terrible and if he continues to blow games and struggle to create an environment that doesn't facilitate QB develop, Poles will launch his gap toothed ass out of town so quickly.

He's shown so little to justify any sort of confidence.

You guys said this last year too

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What the hell does VJJ bring to the RBBC that we don't already have? I'm honestly asking.

Faster than everyone and his hands and route running probably better than everyone except maybe Swift. They may have sucked for a WR but will be good for a RB. Question is can he handle the rushing duties.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We dont know because kick returns changed completely.

He also is the only kick returner in the NFL you absolutely can not depend on to field punts, so there is that!

Patterson rarely fields punts so this is incorrect.

Bears are setting up all these kick returns to be zone blocking plays. It should be herbert or roschon, not velus drops jr.

You dont need speed on the current variation of the kick return, you need vision, one cut ability, and contact balance. If you break past the initial barrier you basically are home free.

Not saying velus cant be good at it, just strange to me the bears are marching out all WR's to test it out when its essentially a slow developing zone run play.
This is incorrect. There are guys that hanging back on the kickoffs that are playing more of a safety role. You arent going go have 11 guys all rush the kickoff guy.

Last edited:

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
I'm talking about across the board. Not 1 trade

Even so, I'd say Keenan Allen and Montez Sweat were awesome trades.

CW, Rome Odunze, Tyrique Stevenson, Gervon Dexter, and Darnell Wright are all exceptional draft picks.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Caleb Williams needs to play in the preseason. I’ll die on this hill.

Mahomes usually plays 3 quarters in the preseason. Rest my case.
Good point. Last year, Field played little in preseason and we can all agree he neded work!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You are moving goalposts. You said VJJ is the only KR who cant be trusted to return punts. You are wrong on this and now changing the subject. There are plenty of guys who return kicks but not punts.

Also Patterson was a 1st round bust at WR who was moved to RB. He was getting 70+ targets and couldnt crack 500 yards. That is trash.