***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sayers was a great punt returner as a rookie. Hester was his electrifying reminder in my mind, and ofc a HoF'er
I know your post is about punt returns, but Sayers actually owns the NFL record for career kickoff return average. I'm going from memory here, but it was like 33 yards a return. Incidentally KR average is one of the ways I assess how fast a guy is in game speed. If a guy averaged 25 or above in college, that's when it starts to get interesting.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know your post is about punt returns, but Sayers actually owns the NFL record for career kickoff return average. I'm going from memory here, but it was like 33 yards a return. Incidentally KR average is one of the ways I assess how fast a guy is in game speed. If a guy averaged 25 or above in college, that's when it starts to get interesting.
As a kid, every time Sayers got the ball, before that fateful 49er game, he was electrifying, just like Hester on returns

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
T Smith bit hard on Rome's fake. Is that because 32 has to 'refine' his technique or that Rome is 'that' good. I say the latter applies
The latter applies. He smoked that CB from Buffalo so bad all he could do was grab him and hold him. You could see on the replay just how easily he got into and out of his break.

DougDrinksSanka

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. AIC Yellow Jackets
Sayers still holds the record for average yards per return as a punt returner for the Bears 14.9 to Hester's 12.8.
Hester was boom or bust. Lost in the Hester highlights on youtube is the fact that he could be incredibly frustrating a returner. Lots of fumbles and running backwards resulting in tackles for a loss. Hell, pretty sure he had two fumbles in the famous cardinals "crown their ass" game alone.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Try a little caffeine in your coffee. ( Sanka ) Every player has 'bad' moments, but not every player has HoF highlights

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hester was boom or bust. Lost in the Hester highlights on youtube is the fact that he could be incredibly frustrating a returner. Lots of fumbles and running backwards resulting in tackles for a loss. Hell, pretty sure he had two fumbles in the famous cardinals "crown their ass" game alone.
I mean I get your sentiment but

Screenshot_20240815-111139.png

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Fact check: not true.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Thanks for sharing the clip Daniel.

I would agree he is still getting off the ball slow, but I would disagree on him getting wrecked in the run game. There was a lot of slants upfront, but overall I think he maintained his gap well. It also comes back to coaching philosophy. If he’s being asked to hold his gap and LOS he’s doing well. If he’s being coached to penetrate then he’s failing. I personally thinks he’s being coached gap control.

Overall, I only saw 1 negative where he jumped inside and lost contain on the Josh Allen scramble.
Well he shouldn't be having goals of 8 sacks and 15 TFL if he was being coached gap control. He didn't look great in those plays besides two of them but again this is just preseason and we don't know what the coaches are trying or not trying to show in these games so i'm hoping he'll be putting pressure on the QB in regular season games like you should expect from your 3T.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
T Smith bit hard on Rome's fake. Is that because 32 has to 'refine' his technique or that Rome is 'that' good. I say the latter applies
Think Rome just got him on that play. He did get him good though.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well he shouldn't be having goals of 8 sacks and 15 TFL if he was being coached gap control. He didn't look great in those plays besides two of them but again this is just preseason and we don't know what the coaches are trying or not trying to show in these games so i'm hoping he'll be putting pressure on the QB in regular season games like you should expect from your 3T.
The good news is however he looked, I'm sure every bad play he's seen over and over again and been coached about lol.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just saw a tweet with Burrow and another QB crunchin gravel with their cleats as they go OUTSIDE to practice