***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
why are people so against competition?
Typically this means you have 2 mediocre guys playing out for their spot.

I don’t mind guys competing but I’d much rather say hey this guy is clearly the better player and he’s going to play.

Also likely scarred from how bad this position/o line in general has been for nearly a decade now.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Typically this means you have 2 mediocre guys playing out for their spot.

I don’t mind guys competing but I’d much rather say hey this guy is clearly the better player and he’s going to play.

Also likely scarred from how bad this position/o line in general has been for nearly a decade now.
Pat Kirwan is mad that bears didn't have an open competition with bagent. Said today if bagent gets in this year, he'll show he's better just like last year because he takes less sacks.

@playthrough2001 idk if you heard that segment today. Pretty nauseating. They also said williams=Bryce Young and daniels=stroud.

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
Pat Kirwan is mad that bears didn't have an open competition with bagent. Said today if bagent gets in this year, he'll show he's better just like last year because he takes less sacks.

@playthrough2001 idk if you heard that segment today. Pretty nauseating. They also said williams=Bryce Young and daniels=stroud.
Holy shit, those are some awful takes by Korean man.

I just noticed the autocorrect, but fuck it I’m not changing it.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

I didn’t listen to the show today but those takes are brutal.

Ouch…

Kirwan is so old school. I’m sure he believes the noise we’ve all heard around Williams during the pre-draft process.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Notes from camp today via Jahns and Fishbain of The Athletic:

“Sweat, defensive end DeMarcus Walkerand defensive tackle Gervon Dexter looked formidable Monday. Walker moved inside next to Dexter for third downs.

“It’s very hard to evaluate pass rush and pass protection right now,” coach Matt Eberflus said. “So it’s a little bit advantage to the (defensive) line. I don’t know what percentage that would be.”

To start practice, Williams had a perfect seven-on-seven drill, which included a pretty ball to receiver DJ Moore after fleeing from the pocket. He also climbed the pocket to connect with Moore early in 11-on-11 reps.

Williams’ best throw was a potential catch-and-run touchdown to rookie receiver Rome Odunze in a later team period against the defensive starters.

“He’s going to have some hard days, and that’s by design and happenstance,” Eberflus said. “It’s going to happen. We’re going to give him some looks that are going to be hard for him. Then he’s gonna learn from them, grow and go to the next step. That’s him learning the game up here, learning the speed, learn how the windows close faster, and when he does that he’s just gonna keep growing and learning.”

Two-minute drill​

In Monday’s situation, the offense had the ball with 90 seconds left, trailing by three. Williams completed passes to Odunze and Keenan Allen before back-to-back incompletions. After a checkdown to running back Roschon Johnson, a timeout was called.

On fourth down, Williams converted with a throw to Moore. Eberflus was pleased with the hurry-up operation and the fourth-down play.”

• In a punt-return drill, the Bears had Odunze, Tyler Scott, Velus Jones Jr. Greg Stroman Jr., DeAndre Carter, Dante Pettisand Freddie Swain among the returners.”

Bears camp: Defense stifles Caleb Williams, Teven Jenkins' contract talks and moreBears camp: Defense stifles Caleb Williams, Teven Jenkins’ contract talks and more

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn’t listen to the show today but those takes are brutal.

Ouch…

Kirwan is so old school. I’m sure he believes the noise we’ve all heard around Williams during the pre-draft process.

They've basically been down on Williams since before the draft. Neither of them think he's at Daniels' level. I always found it confusing. I will probably listen sparingly until the season starts and the game play speaks for itself as Bears fans tend to call and ask the same things over and over again.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
“In the first three training camp practices, veteran left guard Teven Jenkins has been most impressed with Williams' pocket presence.

"We have a 'three' and a 'five' (technique) on the other side and they both rush outside, and he understands he can just step up because all their cover-two drops," Jenkins said.

"It's like 'Oh wow, I can just step up,' and [complete a pass for] 20 yards easy. He's sliding in the pocket, seeing the pressures and everything, so I've been really impressed by that."

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
“In the first three training camp practices, veteran left guard Teven Jenkins has been most impressed with Williams' pocket presence.

"We have a 'three' and a 'five' (technique) on the other side and they both rush outside, and he understands he can just step up because all their cover-two drops," Jenkins said.

"It's like 'Oh wow, I can just step up,' and [complete a pass for] 20 yards easy. He's sliding in the pocket, seeing the pressures and everything, so I've been really impressed by that."

What I read…, “we have no interior pass rush”

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Pre-training camp power rankings via The Athletic:

“15. Chicago Bears

Last season: 7-10, missed playoffs

A quick NFL history lesson: This team used to be referred to as the Monsters of the Midway. That’s right. The Bears were once good but have had only one winning season since 2012 and one playoff win since 2006. So why are Bears fans so giddy? No one in the NFL has added more in the offseason.

The list includes No. 1 pick quarterback Caleb Williams, No. 9 pick wide receiver Rome Odunze, veteran wide receiver Keenan Allen, safety Kevin Byard and running back D’Andre Swift. They also overhauled their entire offensive coaching staff.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/56...camp-chiefs-49ers/?source=user_shared_articlePre-training camp NFL Power Rankings: Chiefs and 49ers reign, Texans and Bears on the rise

Lions are at 3. Packers are 8.

This possibly bodes well for that 2025 second round draft pick.

“32. Carolina Panthers

Last season: 2-15, missed playoffs

Maybe the Panthers really, really wanted Dave Canales as their head coach. Or, maybe more high-profile candidates were scared off by the combination of owner David Tepper and quarterback Bryce Young. Canales had a nice year as Tampa Bay’s offensive coordinator in 2023, but it was his only season as a coordinator, and he was an assistant strength coach at Southern California just five years ago.

If he can reverse Young’s career track, none of that will matter. The former Alabama quarterback’s 5.5 yards per attempt in his rookie season were the fewest for any quarterback in the last eight seasons.”

Last edited: