***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Is it me or does it seem like people are starting to temper expectations for the generational QB who got drafted into the best situation a #1 overall QB has ever been drafted to?
They better not. There’s no reason for averaging less than 250 yds and a td or two a game.
Maybe it's the meatball in me, and I know very little about this offense and blocking schemes and whatnot, but I would prefer the center to be strong. I think that comes from seeing so many years of A-gap pressure.
This is actually a scheme thing. A strong C holds. They set out, put a hat on a dude, and hold.

The fast ones open up more options in the RO run game. They are to hit, hold the block for maybe a beat or so, shed and open.

In a perfect world, you get a C that is strong and fast. Fast gives you more options in the run game. Strong is better for a QB.

This is what I saw when I watched all of his games. He processes at a very fast rate. It’s what sets him apart from a lot of other qb’s and what convinced me that he would translate to the NFL.
You’re not wrong. The problem is that a lot of people only watched his last season at USC where he was playing hero ball. It’s the only rational explanation I can see for any of the narratives that he is worse than Daniels or is a cowboy. Watch him at Oklahoma just shred defenses. That ball is fast and lethal.

My fear is that he will tuck and run or go cowboy due to last season lingering. I want him to be a pocket passer with less than a hundred rushing yards on the season.

Last edited:

lennybrisco

Liked Posts:

I thought this was a good write up from today.

Interesting comment right at the end made by Billings about the Center competition - 2 different body types with one guy being quick and the other being really strong.
I really enjoyed this. Thx for sharing.

One Team

Liked Posts:

I thought this was a good write up from today.

Interesting comment right at the end made by Billings about the Center competition - 2 different body types with one guy being quick and the other being really strong.
That was a good read...thank you for posting that.

Along with the Center comment...I also liked hearing about the cadence 'cat and mouse' game, @KittiesKorner... I have felt through several of the recent quarterbacks that the offense wasn't utilizing this decidedly advantageous offensive weapon enough.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They better not. There’s no reason for averaging less than 250 yds and a td or two a game.

This is actually a scheme thing. A strong C holds. They set out, put a hat on a dude, and hold.

The fast ones open up more options in the RO run game. They are to hit, hold the block for maybe a beat or so, shed and open.

In a perfect world, you get a C that is strong and fast. Fast gives you more options in the run game. Strong is better for a QB.

You’re not wrong. The problem is that a lot of people only watched his last season at USC where he was playing hero ball. It’s the only rational explanation I can see for any of the narratives that he is worse than Daniels or is a cowboy. Watch him at Oklahoma just shred defenses. That ball is fast and lethal.

My fear is that he will tuck and run or go cowboy due to last season lingering. I want him to be a pocket passer with less than a hundred rushing yards on the season.

Honestly... I don't think we will see much tuck and run. I think it will be more of a Mahomes/Rodgers style of dance around behind the line of scrimmage, extend plays with his legs, but killing them with his arm. On off-script/busted plays he will suck the defense up with the threat to run, only to dump it off over their head to a RB or WR.

Williams doesn't want to just be a successful QB in the NFL. He's chasing greatness. He emulates the guys he feels are the best to EVER play the game at QB.... (And he has the rare ability to do so) He is very different from guys who are only good when they stay within the structure of the offense.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I’m posting some camp updates from The Athletic for Tuesday. One interesting tidbit is they’re giving Billings some snaps at 3T.

Also, Ian Wheeler had a big run yesterday in team drills.

There is much more than what I posted at the link below if you have access to The Athletic.

“A two-minute breakdown​

Without the full supporting cast on the field, Caleb Williams did complete three passes in a row to start the drive, hitting DeAndre Carter, Collin Johnson and Khalil Herbert. Defensive end Jacob Martin beat right tackle Darnell Wright on the next snap, forcing Williams to scramble — though a penalty was called on cornerback Tyrique Stevenson on the other side of the field.

Completions to Rome Odunze and Carter got the Bears to the 7-yard line, ultimately a productive drive for the offense, but they left without points. Williams had to dirt a pass after defensive end Daniel Hardy got into the backfield. Williams went for Odunze in the back of the end zone, but Stevenson broke up the pass.

“It’s a game of inches. It was a really tight play,” Odunze said. “Tyrique made a hell of a play. Hopefully next time we can get the better of them. It was a great play and something where I think we’re sharpening each other.”

On the last play, Williams tried to thread a pass to tight end Cole Kmet, with linebacker Tremaine Edmunds in coverage, but Edmunds broke it up.

“It’s a gut check,” Washington said about the stop for his unit. “And listen, you can be in great shape in terms of preparing for training camp, but once you get out on the football field and you’re going through individual periods, you’re going through special teams for those who are involved in that and you’re actually practicing scrimmage plays. That’s a different level of conditioning.

More on Martin​

The Bears won’t know what they truly have in their backup pass rushers until the pads are on for a few days. But Martin, who is in his seventh season, appears to be on the verge of earning a role. Martin played for former Bears coach Lovie Smith in Houston with the Texans in 2021.

“Great speed and quickness; very athletic,” Washington said. “He’s an excellent space player. But he’s really sturdy at the point of attack. Those types of things you really need to have. We can anticipate his role being as a three-down defender. So, so far as a right defensive end, he’s doing a nice job.”

‘Juggernaut’ adding versatility​

Andrew Billings is learning a little three-technique this year, too, so he can bounce between his natural nose position and the penetrating defensive tackle spot.

“It’s honestly more weight on my hands,” he said about the difference. “At nose, I’m hands first. I’ve just got to focus on just blowing up the guard now instead of the center.”

Billings also said there are fewer rules for him to keep in mind when he’s at three-technique, which he likes. Penetrating and working upfield is an emphasis for the defense at all times, but Billings said it’s been heightened this offseason.

“The biggest difference is we’re really focused on being vertical, especially in run defense,” he said. “Crossing the line of scrimmage and changing it even more so than we did last year. We just want more penetration.”

• Undrafted rookie running back Ian Wheeler had an impressive cutback in team drills, taking off for a long run. Running backs coach Chad Morton — one of the most enthusiastic coaches on the team — sprinted 70 yards after him to celebrate.”

Bears camp: Gervon Dexter preps for big role, defense stands tall in 2-minute drillBears camp: Gervon Dexter preps for big role, defense stands tall in 2-minute drill

Friday they put the pads on and things will start to get interesting.

I’ll be at the Bears/Bengals joint practice on August 18th. I’ll provide an update like I have a few times before.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Honestly... I don't think we will see much tuck and run. I think it will be more of a Mahomes/Rodgers style of dance around behind the line of scrimmage, extend plays with his legs, but killing them with his arm. On off-script/busted plays he will suck the defense up with the threat to run, only to dump it off over their head to a RB or WR.

Williams doesn't want to just be a successful QB in the NFL. He's chasing greatness. He emulates the guys he feels are the best to EVER play the game at QB.... (And he has the rare ability to do so) He is very different from guys who are only good when they stay within the structure of the offense.
You'd also have to be nuts to want to tuck and run in the NFL when you've got the receivers he's got at his disposal. Swift is going to be there as well as an outlet capable of housing the ball if he's got some space, not to mention the obvious receivers and one of the better TEs in the game.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That's for year 3. Slow process.
Year 3 is when he'll be able to catch and stay up and run? As long as he shows he's got hands this year then i'll be happy with him putting it all together for the 2025/26 season when we'll need him to take that #3 wr role after Keenan leaves.