***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I thought this was a good write up from today.

Interesting comment right at the end made by Billings about the Center competition - 2 different body types with one guy being quick and the other being really strong.
Having a QB like CW should also improve the D. He's still testing boundaries and getting used to his catchers but this should have the DBs and backers better prepared for game one. DL will also need to be more diligent in their duties against Caleb. Something sharpens something may actually happen here.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
They better not. There’s no reason for averaging less than 250 yds and a td or two a game.

This is actually a scheme thing. A strong C holds. They set out, put a hat on a dude, and hold.

The fast ones open up more options in the RO run game. They are to hit, hold the block for maybe a beat or so, shed and open.

In a perfect world, you get a C that is strong and fast. Fast gives you more options in the run game. Strong is better for a QB.

You’re not wrong. The problem is that a lot of people only watched his last season at USC where he was playing hero ball. It’s the only rational explanation I can see for any of the narratives that he is worse than Daniels or is a cowboy. Watch him at Oklahoma just shred defenses. That ball is fast and lethal.

My fear is that he will tuck and run or go cowboy due to last season lingering. I want him to be a pocket passer with less than a hundred rushing yards on the season.
Good post overall...but.....lol....I think he won't tuck & run much. From watching highlights it appears to me CW moves in the pocket to buy time and search for an open receiver, before deciding to take off. He' going to have more than a hundred yards rushing just from athletic ability alone. Probably more near 500 imo.......but I get your point. You want him in the pocket passing downfield. I think we won't have to worry about that.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Easy to rank top 8 in my opinion:

1)Payton

2)Sayers

next tier:
Forte/Anderson (in that order likely)

next tier:
Jones/Montgomery (in that order likely)

next tier:
Howard/ATrain (in that order likely)

I wonder where Gallimore would have stacked up if he hadn't passed.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
They better not. There’s no reason for averaging less than 250 yds and a td or two a game.

This is actually a scheme thing. A strong C holds. They set out, put a hat on a dude, and hold.

The fast ones open up more options in the RO run game. They are to hit, hold the block for maybe a beat or so, shed and open.

In a perfect world, you get a C that is strong and fast. Fast gives you more options in the run game. Strong is better for a QB.

You’re not wrong. The problem is that a lot of people only watched his last season at USC where he was playing hero ball. It’s the only rational explanation I can see for any of the narratives that he is worse than Daniels or is a cowboy. Watch him at Oklahoma just shred defenses. That ball is fast and lethal.

My fear is that he will tuck and run or go cowboy due to last season lingering. I want him to be a pocket passer with less than a hundred rushing yards on the season.
I have doubts that the stats are going to be gaudy just because Flus is a defensive, ball control focused HC with a defense that's actually good now - but with the good defense and conservative game planning, you also get the sense that they're not going to put too much on Caleb's plate in order to make him try and play in a style that brings out that cowboy play style.

The talent levels of his skill position group is absurd and he was pretty good at using RBs in the passing game in college so I expect him to play in a style close to Rodgers. Rodgers would routinely get 300+ yards rushing just off layup first downs when the play got broken down. I doubt we'll see Caleb overly reckless (my biggest concern of his coming out).

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I have doubts that the stats are going to be gaudy just because Flus is a defensive, ball control focused HC with a defense that's actually good now - but with the good defense and conservative game planning, you also get the sense that they're not going to put too much on Caleb's plate in order to make him try and play in a style that brings out that cowboy play style.

The talent levels of his skill position group is absurd and he was pretty good at using RBs in the passing game in college so I expect him to play in a style close to Rodgers. Rodgers would routinely get 300+ yards rushing just off layup first downs when the play got broken down. I doubt we'll see Caleb overly reckless (my biggest concern of his coming out).
Is Washington still coming up with the godfather offer to get Kingsbury his qb? The cards are all aligning! Bears will bring fields back next year with a stacked roster!

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
Is Washington still coming up with the godfather offer to get Kingsbury his qb? The cards are all aligning! Bears will bring fields back next year with a stacked roster!
Poles picked his guy and made it clear they weren't going to trade the pick.

What I wanted to happen didn't happen, move on ya fuckin nerd.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I believe it will become situational at certain points in games but D's like to play with leads. He's coach D on a team with Andrew Luck and watched Mahomes eat his lunch in the playoffs. He's also been a passing game coordinator.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
I believe it will become situational at certain points in games but D's like to play with leads. He's coach D on a team with Andrew Luck and watched Mahomes eat his lunch in the playoffs. He's also been a passing game coordinator.
They're gonna force turnovers - the back 7 of the defense is no joke and they didn't draft Taylor for no reason. Field position is going to be important.

My point being - I just don't see Caleb being overly wild. There's too much talent on the offensive side of the ball to help him out and schematically Eberflus is going to want him to play a style that emphasizes ball control. He'll be able to pick and choose when he wants to take risks vs having the style he played last year that relied on him playing outside of structure (because with USCs weapons and offensive line there was no structure).

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
They're gonna force turnovers - the back 7 of the defense is no joke and they didn't draft Taylor for no reason. Field position is going to be important.

My point being - I just don't see Caleb being overly wild. There's too much talent on the offensive side of the ball to help him out and schematically Eberflus is going to want him to play a style that emphasizes ball control. He'll be able to pick and choose when he wants to take risks vs having the style he played last year that relied on him playing outside of structure (because with USCs weapons and offensive line there was no structure).
I absolutely agree with your assessment. The only rub is that it flies in the face of the cowboy narrative from his last year at USC.

Everything I’m seeing them do at camp is reinforcing the fact they want him to be a pocket passer distributing the ball. If he picks up gimme yards like that douche Rogers did, fine. I don’t want to see him rushing for anything.