***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Either this defense is fitna' dominate the league or this offense is 'bout to smell like cooking chittlins'. I mean if you aren't scoring with two straight-up stud wide-receivers, plus an heir apparent in the rookie, something is wrong- unless of course your offensive line is under-performing.
I’m not sure this conclusion is off. They are moving the ball and scoring in 7’s. They aren’t in the team. The easy answer is the OL vs the DL. I’m going to withhold judgment, for now.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not in the media. It's just an opinion from a pedestrian fan.

It’s a quote by a player, not the media. I hope you have some plans for your 6 months off..perhaps a class on making license plates or reading through some legal opinions. Better yet your time may be best spent rewatching Odunze clips and his sneaky fast TE 3/4 speed.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why would anyone even have to utter the phrase "sneaky fast" when talking about a WR?

"Sneaky fast" is a description for QBs like Cutler.
Because Stevenson wasn’t expecting a TE3 to be that fast

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s a quote by a player, not the media. I hope you have some plans for your 6 months off..perhaps a class on making license plates or reading through some legal opinions. Better yet your time may be best spent rewatching Odunze clips and his sneaky fast TE 3/4 speed.
I honestly almost forgot about Odunze. Haven't heard much about him in camp thus far.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Notes from Thursday’s Training Camp session via The Athletic:

Ryan Bates and Coleman Shelton have been rotating at center with Williams and the first-string offense since camp opened. If the rotation continues, Shelton will snap to Williams on Friday after Bates played center Thursday. It’s one of the few true positional competitions for the Bears in camp.

“All we’re doing is getting each other better,” Shelton said. “I’ve been in a lot of competitions since I’ve been in the NFL, and the way I see it is you’re only competing against yourself. You’re trying to be the best version of yourself you can be, and the guy you’re competing with, you’re just pushing each other to do better. Whatever we do, whoever we become, whatever happens is for the betterment of a team. And that’s why we’re here.”

Bates was “here” first. He was acquired from the Buffalo Bills for a fifth-round pick March 4. Shelton was signed to a one-year contract March 14.

Shelton, though, has more experience than Bates at center. He was the Los Angeles Rams’ starter for the past two seasons after going undrafted out of Washington and being a reserve for his first three years. Bates was a backup guard last year in Buffalo.

Also, Bears offensive coordinator Shane Waldron was the Rams’ passing game coordinator during Shelton’s first two seasons in the NFL. That connection factored into free agency.
”It pulls you towards it because it’s something you know and it’s something you’ve been around,” Shelton said. “You’re like, ‘Oh, OK, I know this offense. I fit this offense.’ So, it’s definitely something that drew me to come to Chicago, absolutely.”

Earning a starting role is nothing new for Shelton, either. He replaced Brian Allen, a fourth-round pick in 2018, during the 2022 season and won the job again last season.

“I had to earn it; I had to win a competition,” he said. “But I also had a lot of great guys that I competed with. Coming off a competition with Brian Allen, him and I, we had a great rapport. And I’m feeling the same way with Bates, you know? We’re just pushing each other. It’s always all we got to do. We’re trying to make each other the best players we can be.”

Added versatility at tight end​

(NO mention of Odunze)

No. 2 tight end Gerald Everett is entering Year 8, but he said he feels young at age 30. It might help having 40-year-old Marcedes Lewis in the same room.

“I met him my rookie year when he was playing in Jacksonville after I scored my first touchdown,” Everett said. “Just chopping it up with him, I kind of got some wisdom from him then, but to be playing with him now, we’re going to have a fun year, and just off-the-field stuff up to this point is what we have talked about.”

Having spent time in Waldron’s offense, Everett’s familiarity with the scheme should help his ability to produce quickly.

“Just being interchangeable with receivers and the tight ends, and even the running back,” he said. “I mean, I don’t think there are many tight ends that are doing jet sweeps or catching screens, so hopefully to implement that as well as I did any other year that I have been in the league.”

Everett has 12 carries in his career; five went for first downs. Last season, he was 24th among tight ends in receiving yards but 11th in catch percentage (72.9). With Cole Kmet at his position and a dynamic group of receivers, Everett is seeing in practice how the skill players can stress defenses.

“It’s scary. It’s scary. I’m sure you guys have seen it,” he said. “Even today, we gave the defense something to look at, something they probably weren’t ready for, but like I said, being interchangeable, even with DJ (Moore) and Keenan (Allen) and the guys in the receiving room. We’re going to want to play all of the spots. Whether it be right direction or left direction, we’re all going to be flying up and down the field.”

• Left tackle Braxton Jones continued to rotate with Larry Borom, but Eberflus said they anticipate Jones being able to keep participating once the pads come on for Friday’s practice.
• Wide receiver Nsimba Webster and linebacker Noah Sewell were present but did not participate.
• Friday’s practice will be the first one in pads and open to the public.

The article also contains discussion of drills, Stevenson’s desire to be an All Pro, and TJ Edwards mentioning bouncing back from a day off. “

Bears camp: Center battle set to heat up, defense wins the day vs. Caleb WilliamsBears camp: Center battle set to heat up, defense wins the day vs. Caleb Williams

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly almost forgot about Odunze. Haven't heard much about him in camp thus far.
Dipshit.

"Keenan’s a magician," cornerback Tyrique Stevenson said Thursday. "Just the fact that he can stop mid-route, change his whole route, or just the fact that he gives you something different than what you’re expecting. He might break in side, but he’s just doing that just to see on the next play how he can get you on a route that’s coming to him. DJ’s just going to be DJ. DJ gonna run a route and you’re not gonna stop it, pretty much."

As for Odunze, he has been one of the early stars in camp. While he enters as the wide receiver on the depth chart, the Bears expect the No. 9 overall pick to be much more than third fiddle to Allen and Moore.

"I really believe that he’s going to have the ability to take off, because of the other players," head coach Matt Eberflus said of Odunze at the end of OTAs. "You’re not going to be able to home in on one guy. Say we just had him, and he was the number one right now. You’d be like, ‘Wow, they can really do some things to him defensively’. But you’re not going to be able to do that versus our crew."

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I’m pretty sure 90.z% of the board realized this
You’re the only one patting yourself on the ass for it, retrad
I'm not patting myself on the back for it. Just happily hoping that the board doesn't get carried away with it.

You know like last year when one person tweeted that Chase Claypool was the stud of camp and was practicing with a chip on his shoulder and everyone in Chicago ran to put money on Justin Fields for MVP.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not patting myself on the back for it. Just happily hoping that the board doesn't get carried away with it.

You know like last year when one person tweeted that Chase Claypool was the stud of camp and was practicing with a chip on his shoulder and everyone in Chicago ran to put money on Justin Fields for MVP.
You’re happily pointing out clickbait during the time of season when everything is sunshine and touchdowns?

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You’re happily pointing out clickbait during the time of season when everything is sunshine and touchdowns?
Everything is sunshine and touchdowns with Caleb Williams and Rome Odunze because we're excited about what they could be.

Gervon Dexter doing the defensive end conditioning test isn't going to improve his 32.8 run defense grade.

It's about known, knows. I know Dexter Lawrence isn't going to have a 12 sack season this year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Everything is sunshine and touchdowns with Caleb Williams and Rome Odunze because we're excited about what they could be.

Gervon Dexter doing the defensive end conditioning test isn't going to improve his 32.8 run defense grade.

It's about known, knows. I know Dexter Lawrence isn't going to have a 12 sack season this year.

Hey fat fuck, gervon was better than lawrence as a rookie.

Remember when your dumb fat cheeto brain said OL and DL need 3 years to grow/develop in the NFL?