***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is exactly what I mean. How many other players get snarky responses like this?
Players with mope reps get it every time they sit. In this case, he was never 'good' last year due to not being in shape plus his last head coach let him go for being a mope. He likely didn't stay in shape in the offseason so getting rolling in the pre is of paramount importance for him to be worth his nut. There's no reason the Bear should have to wait 5 weeks into the season for him to be the player he should be. He may be genuinely doing the right thing this time but that would be like the kid that cried wolf once too often.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Players with mope reps get it every time they sit. In this case, he was never 'good' last year due to not being in shape pluis his last head coach jettisoned him for his being a mope. He likely didn't stay in shape in the offseason so getting rolling in the pre is of paramount importance for him to be worth his nut. There's now reason the bear should have to wait 5 weeks for him to be the player he should be. He may be genuinely doing the right thing this time but that would be like the kid that cried wolf once too often.

Proof?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
52 rating on PFF in regards to last year and the eye test easily confimed it. Then this general quote from Vrabel regarding his expectations of his players if you don't want to believe the never disputed article about Davis being a mope.

“I don’t mean it’s all on the player; there’s just some responsibility that you take that your profession pretty much relies on your body and your health. We try to coach everything that we can talking about routines and trying to find veteran players that have really good routines and look at their career. "

msadows

Liked Posts:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Pick Jenkins then. He’s injured. He has a reputation for injuries. Where is the daily cunting over him?

Players get injured. It sucks. I’ve just never seen an entire fan base this obsessed over one guy.

And are you saying Davis’s injuries aren’t “legitimate”? You called Gordon’s legitimate. So it sounds like you’re questioning if Davis is actually injured or not.
Yes I am completely, and a big part of this is due to Nate Davis known history with practice/work ethic and a big reason why the titans let him go in FA.

There is a big difference between soft tissue injuries and broken bones or concussion. Hell, Darnell wright played a portion of last season with 1 bum arm. I get it for guys who need to run and having a hamstring injury etc, but this is a lineman…

The other issue is Nate Davis contract. I don’t know it stacks up in 2024 but in 2023 I believe Nate Davis was like the 14th highest paid guard in the entire NFL. Kinda expect a veteran that gets paid to show up and play well, which Nate Davis did little of. This is also why teven doesn’t get as much shit as Nate Davis. If teven signs a big contract (he won’t) then you better believe people will complain. Also, when teven does play he looks way better than the guy that was paid top 15 in OG’s.

You act like some people aren’t just lazy and everyone has the same work ethic. Do you not believe it is possible Nate Davis is kinda lazy?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Why is “personal reasons” in quotes when we now know it was because his mom died?
Actually I didn't know or didn't care enough to commit it to long term memory. Googled a few articles about why he missed "personal time" and the 3 or 4 I saw said just "family member."

Eliminate that from my list and he still has a reputation as lazy and out of shape, rightfully so or not, and has done nothing to disprove it.

Showing up for OTA's for the team that just guaranteed you $19M might have been a good idea, or maybe the next year or maybe show up in shape so you don't have repeated soft tissue issues all of TC.

I hope he puts together a great season, but I'm dumbfounded as to the inability to understand some fans angst over relying on him to protect your rookie superstar in waiting.

And Jenkins is far from loved by many, but at least he shows up every opportunity to put in the work.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not for the Bear and I expect Davis to start. I just hope he gets it together BEFORE the season so we're not waiting 5 weeks before he's close to the player that was signed.
I believe he will sign with the Ravens.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes I am completely, and a big part of this is due to Nate Davis known history with practice/work ethic and a big reason why the titans let him go in FA.

There is a big difference between soft tissue injuries and broken bones or concussion. Hell, Darnell wright played a portion of last season with 1 bum arm. I get it for guys who need to run and having a hamstring injury etc, but this is a lineman…

The other issue is Nate Davis contract. I don’t know it stacks up in 2024 but in 2023 I believe Nate Davis was like the 14th highest paid guard in the entire NFL. Kinda expect a veteran that gets paid to show up and play well, which Nate Davis did little of. This is also why teven doesn’t get as much shit as Nate Davis. If teven signs a big contract (he won’t) then you better believe people will complain. Also, when teven does play he looks way better than the guy that was paid top 15 in OG’s.

You act like some people aren’t just lazy and everyone has the same work ethic. Do you not believe it is possible Nate Davis is kinda lazy?

Sure, he could be very lazy. Or he could also be legitimately injured. We really don’t know because Flus won’t discuss injuries.

If Davis really is that lazy that he’s just taking practice off the Bears should have cut him a long time ago. You don’t keep a cancer like that around. That’s why Claypool was traded.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Sure, he could be very lazy. Or he could also be legitimately injured. We really don’t know because Flus won’t discuss injuries.

If Davis really is that lazy that he’s just taking practice off the Bears should have cut him a long time ago. You don’t keep a cancer like that around. That’s why Claypool was traded.
Okay so do you acknowledge Jenkins rookie contract is 8.4 million over 4 years with a cap hit of 2.6 million this year.

Kyler Gordon’s contract is nearly identical.

Nate davis signed a 3 year 30 million dollar contract with average annual salary of 10 million.

Don’t you think that is the biggest issue in why Nate Davis gets more shit than the other guys?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Okay so do you acknowledge Jenkins rookie contract is 8.4 million over 4 years with a cap hit of 2.6 million this year.

Nate davis signed a 3 year 30 million dollar contract with average annual salary of 10 million.

Don’t you think that is the biggest issue in why Nate Davis gets more shit than the other guys?
100% the reason.

If he was some random bum we drafted in the 3rd round people would be mad but they'd move on. He's legit our highest paid OL and even when healthy likely our worst OL.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Poles can’t get rid of him until he replaces him. I’m willing to bet he was planning on Amegadjia being healthy enough to compete for the RG spot. (Based on reports that he was supposed to be a full go for the start of Training Camp. )

Sometimes you gamble and win (Not trading up to get a guy and he falls to you anyways, (Odunze) and sometimes you gamble and lose, (Claypool trade) and sometimes it’s a push (What I would call the Amegadjie pick for now)

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Yes I think I said money was part of it yesterday. Completely agree money is part of it

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Yes I think I said money was part of it yesterday. Completely agree money is part of it
Then why are you acting like it's some surprise he is getting more shit?

He literally makes almost twice what the 2 players make combined that you are choosing to compare him to. It's not like he just makes a little bit more.

And to your point of why not just cut him - Nate Davis Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

If I'm interpreting this correctly he would be a 12.5 million dollar dead cap hit if cut this year. He can be cut next year for only a 2 million dollar dead cap hit. No shot the bears cut him this year and eat that 12.5 million when they don't have anyone waiting in the wings to step in and play well.

It makes perfect sense, but for some reason you are just choosing to think the bears fans are idiots or there is something else going on.

msadows

Liked Posts:

He literally makes almost twice what the 2 players make combined that you are choosing to compare him to. It's not like he just makes a little bit more.

And to your point of why not just cut him - Nate Davis Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

If I'm interpreting this correctly he would be a 12.5 million dollar dead cap hit if cut this year. He can be cut next year for only a 2 million dollar dead cap hit. No shot the bears cut him this year and eat that 12.5 million when they don't have anyone waiting in the wings to step in and play well.

It makes perfect sense, but for some reason you are just choosing to think the bears fans are idiots or there is something else going on.

They save 600k if they cut him, dead cap aside - makes no sense. Even if he rides the bench he's cheaper than the vet minimum. He's 100% gone next year unless a miracle happens and he stays healthy + plays well.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

You are basically accusing him of FAKING injuries when you say Gordon’s are legit and his aren’t.

That is different than expecting a lot because of his salary.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

He could be legitimately hurt but at this point, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt given how frequently he seems to miss practice. The second it becomes time to work, he's either hurt or skipping practice for one reason or another. Jenkins is hurt all the time too but at least he performs when he's able to physically play. Davis is highly paid and sucks.

Regardless, the interior of the OL is shaping up to be a disaster yet again. Consistency!

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They save 600k if they cut him, dead cap aside - makes no sense. Even if he rides the bench he's cheaper than the vet minimum. He's 100% gone next year unless a miracle happens and he stays healthy + plays well.

If he’s eating bon bons and faking injuries you cut him regardless. A player as lazy and awful as Bears fans are making him out to be would be terrible to keep around. That’s why Poles ate that 2nd round pick and cut bait with Claypool

msadows

Liked Posts:
If he’s eating bon bons and faking injuries you cut him regardless. A player as lazy and awful as Bears fans are making him out to be would be terrible to keep around. That’s why Poles ate that 2nd round pick and cut bait with Claypool

Claypool was a locker room issue, Davis may just be the next eddie goldman. Pretty different being lazy vs. being a cancer