***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
This is exactly what I mean. How many other players get snarky responses like this?

What do you mean? Jay Cutler was faking a broken thumb and an ACL plus his torn labia and got all kinds of "snarky" responses.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also wonder if there's a correlation, either positive or negative, between missing OTAs and injury risk.

I realize most of us on here (myself included) have no idea what we're talking about with regards to injuries unless we're medical or sports medicine professionals. I generally speak on the major injuries I once suffered (hamstring, ankle, hip- which I eventually had replaced), but otherwise acknowledge my lack of knowledge.

But as a near lifelong fan of this team, too much of this year reminds me too much of last year- and previous years before that:
  • Focus on getting athletes at skill positions
  • (Fill in your own point here 😄)
  • Ignoring the interior offensive line in the draft
  • Free agent signings of other team's backup linemen to start for us
  • Line looks inadequate with aforementioned "starters" early in training camp and QB can't even flatulate without a defensive lineman being close enough to grade it
  • 3 or more of the o-line starters go down (last year we lost 4 if them in the preseason), but many more exuberant posters swore we'd be ''fine"
  • No continuity is established
  • Pre-season ends and we proceed to not just get destroyed in the first game, but lose the first four games and look completely unprepared
  • Rookie QB gets traumatized
Dan Campbell may be a meatball, but that team's philosophy of building the lines first is something the Bears could learn from.

I read a rumour that Flus is considering not playing CW this week in Buffalo due to offensive line issues. If true, that leaves two pre-season games left (Cincinnati and Kansas City), and I can guarantee you that KC is going to blitz from every conceivable angle if CW plays because Spagnola is an asshole. However you feel about JF, you know he's going to be watching and privately saying, "See? This is what they did to me. So glad I am with a team that believes in investing in a line."

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I also wonder if there's a correlation, either positive or negative, between missing OTAs and injury risk.

I realize most of us on here (myself included) have no idea what we're talking about with regards to injuries unless we're medical or sports medicine professionals. I generally speak on the major injuries I once suffered (hamstring, ankle, hip- which I eventually had replaced), but otherwise acknowledge my lack of knowledge.

But as a near lifelong fan of this team, too much of this year reminds me too much of last year- and previous years before that:
  • Line looks inadequate with aforementioned "starters" early in training camp and QB can't even flatulate without a defensive lineman being close enough to grade it
  • 3 or more of the o-line starters go down (last year we lost 4 if them in the preseason), but many more exuberant posters swore we'd be ''fine"
  • Pre-season ends and we proceed to not just get destroyed in the first game, but lose the first four games and look completely unprepared
Dan Campbell may be a meatball, but that team's philosophy of building the lines first is something the Bears could learn from.

I read a rumour that Flus is considering not playing CW this week in Buffalo due to offensive line issues. If true, that leaves two pre-season games left (Cincinnati and Kansas City), and I can guarantee you that KC is going to blitz from every conceivable angle if CW plays because Spagnola is an asshole. However you feel about JF, you know he's going to be watching and privately saying, "See? This is what they did to me. So glad I am with a team that believes in investing in a line."
They built their OL, but did inherit a LT. they haven’t built much of anything on their DL outside of Hutchinson. The team can’t rush the passer without blitzing a high % which leaves their mediocre LBers and suspect secondary in bad positions.

msadows

Liked Posts:
They built their OL, but did inherit a LT. they haven’t built much of anything on their DL outside of Hutchinson. The team can’t rush the passer without blitzing a high % which leaves their mediocre LBers and suspect secondary in bad positions.

Their 2 best OL were there before DC was even the headcoach.

Yea, and I'm not sure what any of that has to do with dan campbell. He's mostly huffing paint on the sidelines while being on call to go for it on 4th down on their own 15. Most overrated coach by a mile in football.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well whomever in Detroit is responsible, they've accomplished a few things that the Bears haven't been able to do in far too long.
  • Win a playoff game
  • Win the division
  • Make it to the NFC Championship game (and honestly they physically beat the brakes off San Francisco)
  • Win a game against Green Bay.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seems a reasonable puff piece. If that was in regards to Davis. He met his low expectations coming into camp and that's fine if he's ready for game 1. No one ever expects him at OTAs or to come to camp buff.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Well whomever in Detroit is responsible, they've accomplished a few things that the Bears haven't been able to do in far too long.
  • Win a playoff game
  • Win the division
  • Make it to the NFC Championship game (and honestly they physically beat the brakes off San Francisco)
  • Win a game against Green Bay.
I mean it’s also taken DET how long to accomplish those things?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean it’s also taken DET how long to accomplish those things?
Fair question. I guess it depends on when you start counting. One could argue that the count "started" for the Bears when Poles arrived. Poles has done a lot to improve the roster and should be given credit for that. But building a strong offensive line, particularly in the interior (arguably the most important part), has not been one of them

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Fair question. I guess it depends on when you start counting. One could argue that the count "started" for the Bears when Poles arrived. Poles has done a lot to improve the roster and should be given credit for that. But building a strong offensive line, particularly in the interior (arguably the most important part), has not been one of them
I agree. Not quite sure what his strategy is but seems like he’s chosen to go the weapons route first. Hopefully he can solidify both lines the next couple me seasons.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The O-Line is still to be determined at this point. Guys skipping a couple practices with minor injuries really means nothing. What matters is if they can actually play together in Waldron's offense.

I get the skepticism though. The Bears have not had a good offensive line since the mid 2000s. They have either neglected it over the years or drafted the wrong players. I mean, they drafted the one fucking guy from Wisconsin who didn't turn out to be great. One of the most reliable schools to draft an OL and they found the one that sucked lol.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

So I do share your concern for this OL, or at least share it in part. I do not know if this is just the way things are around the league and I have serious tunnel vision, or if this is just what we have come to expect as Bears fans. But it would be really, really nice if this team could turn it around and have a real top-notch OL.

Last year, Poles sent a second round pick out for a DE that kicked the defense up a notch. With a pair of second rounders for next year, is there an OG out there that you would trade for, in hopes of similar drastic improvement? Or do you find that pick better spent on an OG in next year's draft?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I do share your concern for this OL, or at least share it in part. I do not know if this is just the way things are around the league and I have serious tunnel vision, or if this is just what we have come to expect as Bears fans. But it would be really, really nice if this team could turn it around and have a real top-notch OL.

Last year, Poles sent a second round pick out for a DE that kicked the defense up a notch. With a pair of second rounders for next year, is there an OG out there that you would trade for, in hopes of similar drastic improvement? Or do you find that pick better spent on an OG in next year's draft?
I would prefer a center first as it is apparently harder to get a good one, then guard. I am not sure I want one at 2 though unless they're an absolute stud (in which case I think it's worth the investment). I ideally think 3rd and/or 4th round.