***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I would prefer a center first as it is apparently harder to get a good one, then guard. I am not sure I want one at 2 though unless they're an absolute stud. I ideally think 3rd and/or 4th round.
I am curious about the total world of possibilities. I am not surrendering the idea of this year, I just do not know who all is available.

Personally, I think that Shelton and Bates are good options to test out at Center and am less worried there. My concern remains at Guard, where the talent issues are compounded by availability issues. I have high hopes for Jenkins though! Should Zach Martin turn in another good year in Dallas at his age, I wouldn't be opposed to offering him a 1 year deal when he enters FA in 2025. That with a top 100 draft pick at Guard would satisfy me, should the men on contract here and now not cut it.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am curious about the total world of possibilities. I am not surrendering the idea of this year, I just do not know who all is available.

Personally, I think that Shelton and Bates are good options to test out at Center and am less worried there. My concern remains at Guard, where the talent issues are compounded by availability issues. I have high hopes for Jenkins though! Should Zach Martin turn in another good year in Dallas at his age, I wouldn't be opposed to offering him a 1 year deal when he enters FA in 2025. That with a top 100 draft pick at Guard would satisfy me, should the men on contract here and now not cut it.
Eloquently expressed.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
my guess is that it just offers flexibility for this year seeing as how unused cap gets rolled over into the next year still, I believe.
Holy shit that is a team friendly deal. Credit Poles for getting this done before Lamb and Chase get their big payday.

I am not concerned with moving him off the roster as he gets older. Health is obviously key to longevity, but top receivers putting competing with the best through their early thirties is not uncommon. What tells me that this is a team-friendly deal is how much he is getting paid in actual dollars as a productive, top receiver. For what I say next, presume that the WRs listed play through the entirety of their contract.

Let us look at 2026, 2027 and 2028, when this team is theoretically aiming for a SB run with a stud QB on a rookie contract or on his fifth-year option (which is priced differently) and a complementary stud WR in Odunze also on his rookie contract. In all three of those years, DJ Moore is making $28.5M. In those sample years, Amon-Ra St Brown is making $33M, $29M, and $41M, respectively. He looks fairly priced compared to AJ Brown as well, who is getting paid comparatively over the same timeline, but with a dragon hoard of money placed into void years soon after.

Other top WRs who are entering FA in 2027, Hill and Adams, are making $55M and $44M in 2026.

He means as much to this offense as St Brown does to Detroit, has a QB who aims to be far better than Goff, and has better talent around him to take the pressure of carrying the offense off of his shoulders. I submit that this team is in fine financial health looking forward to the years when that Superbowl window cracks open.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fair question. I guess it depends on when you start counting. One could argue that the count "started" for the Bears when Poles arrived. Poles has done a lot to improve the roster and should be given credit for that. But building a strong offensive line, particularly in the interior (arguably the most important part), has not been one of them
True, but it hasn't been for a lack of trying, on the O line in general. Starting LT in the 2022 draft Plus two other shot in the dart board of drafting picks, first round pick RT last year. Bring in what was supposed to be a solid Guard. Brings in four Center/Guard types. For whatever reason, things have not worked out in this regard other than the two tackles. Wait and see with the four interior linemen they picked up, Bates, Curham, Shelton and Pryor. It isn't exactly like they are ignoring the O line. Just hasn't worked out as planned. Same could be said about the D line oddly enough. No 3 tech (maybe), no second DE but again, not for lack of trying.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
True, but it hasn't been for a lack of trying, on the O line in general. Starting LT in the 2022 draft Plus two other shot in the dart board of drafting picks, first round pick RT last year. Bring in what was supposed to be a solid Guard. Brings in four Center/Guard types. For whatever reason, things have not worked out in this regard other than the two tackles. Wait and see with the four interior linemen they picked up, Bates, Curham, Shelton and Pryor. It isn't exactly like they are ignoring the O line. Just hasn't worked out as planned. Same could be said about the D line oddly enough. No 3 tech (maybe), no second DE but again, not for lack of trying.
Clearly you don’t respect the trenches

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The O-Line is still to be determined at this point. Guys skipping a couple practices with minor injuries really means nothing. What matters is if they can actually play together in Waldron's offense.

I get the skepticism though. The Bears have not had a good offensive line since the mid 2000s. They have either neglected it over the years or drafted the wrong players. I mean, they drafted the one fucking guy from Wisconsin who didn't turn out to be great. One of the most reliable schools to draft an OL and they found the one that sucked lol.
Gabe Carimi?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Reactions: Myk